Crush.pics ‑ Image Compression

Crush.pics ‑ Image Compression

by Space Squirrel Ltd.

Image Compression and Image SEO Optimization

TabletopFountainsPlus

It does what it says it does, and while it took quite some time, I was happy to see it that it seemed to work. The compression didn't save me very much, as I had already saved the files to a pretty small size, but the image renaming feature is quite innovative, and I believe it's helped me to get more qualified traffic. The one major drawback, however, is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get a copy of the newly compressed and renamed images for backup purposes; and it doesn't touch any files in the Shopify files section - where most of my product images reside... I do like the "set and forget" aspect of it, though. My dilemma now is that I don't have any easy way to get a copy of the revised (i.e., compressed) product images, and once I've got all my images compressed and renamed, I am hard pressed to continue my subscription, since I now know how to save all future files myself, and the app won't really be doing anything after a month or so...

ThisBlueBird - Modern Vintage

Beyond frustrated with this app after at least a full year of using it. When it runs it does run faithfully but it doesn't do very much and doesn't run a good portion of the time. First, it barely compresses the photos... as in you'll get maybe 4%. Never notified when the app has an update and needs to be installed. Earlier this year, for an unknown period of time, the app was not even running even though it was installed on my site and I was paying for it. App requires that your browser accept all cookies and cross-site tracking. If your settings are the least bit off and you try to go to the app dashboard, it will just get stuck in a loop of redirecting to different pages on their server and the only way out of the never-ending loop is to close the browser and relaunch and go back to your Shopify admin. After re-enabling all cookies and tracking again today, I was able to get the screen to load and got another error... A new 12.1 update of my browser just came out only 2 days ago and Crush.pics is suddenly no longer compatible with 12.0. Literally over the past weekend, not compatible. I don't have any more time to waste with this app.

Biggs Ltd

This app adds 13 random characters to the picture name. This forces the user to manually look up the picture name every time. In addition, this number detracts from the picture's SEO. If it wasn't for this added number the app would be more useful to us and my review would be more positive.

Poopiscoopi

Free plan user here - had 100+ images to compress, and I chose the loose-less plan and PSI was improved from 71 to 78 (which is good, but not great...)

app is easy to use and friendly.

Wemakehomes

Not impressed. It counts the size of your entire image towards the quota, not just how much it saved. If my images were already all optimized, I'd run out of bandwidth, even though I shouldn't, because there's nothing to optimize.

Pesci Moda

Great app, the only problem i have is it DOES NOT compress the front page sliding images/promo images. It will only compress product images.
www.pescimoda.com

Miranda Hi Fi Canberra

Saved 50mb (15%) total but didnt help very much with page rank

Crazoos

thought its free pretty misleading

Seido Shop

Doesn't work with our image.

We wanted to make sure the compression algorithm for lossless was powerful enough (30% announced sounds quite low in comparison to tools like TinyPng), so we ran a trial on one specific product.
We optimized all images, lossless at first, then a few with lossy compression.

The app says xx% compression, but Google Page Speed says nothing changed.
Ok, we downloaded the so said "compressed" images, from Shopify (changing the ?variable to make sure we have the latest version)... Nothing changed.
So, let's try to download the preview image displayed on screen that is supposed to show a comparison between the old and the new image.
Surprise... Same image, same size.

The comparison tool is very fancy, but both images are not on the same layer, the second image has a small offset of a few pixels, so it gives the impression the image is not identical, but it is.

Again, it might just be a bug, but the fact the tool says the image was compressed by "xx%", and that the comparison tool second image is offset a bit is not reassuring.

Edit:
I'm suspending my judgment temporarily. We've been in touch with the developers and it looks like our image are already too optimized for their app to have any significant effect on one hand, and that Shopify is messing up with optimized images (increasing their size) on its end.

For now, my first conclusion is that this app is pointless for those who know how to save their images (photoshop, gimp, or recompressed with online tools like TinyPNG) because Shopify already has its own algorithm.
Since Shopify algorythm increase the size of overoptimized images, negating the benefit of this app, it sounds pointless.
See here about image compression issues with Shopify: https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-discussion/t/shopify-image-quality-optimization-round-2-with-stats-38-improvement-304813

We're in touch with the developpers, if something come up, I'll update my review;
Until then: I do not recommend the app to merchants already saving their images for internet use with proper comrpession.