Discount Ninja

Discount Ninja

by Limoni Apps

Special offers. Tiered & stacked discounts. BOGOs. Free gifts.

Redbarn.com

Working with Discount Ninja has been very painful. I really like the idea of everything they offered, but it is just that- an idea. Basically everything they advertised is everything we needed and wanted, so we were willing to pay for their premium plan. You would think that having this plan you would receive a top tier support but Bart did not respond to multiple requests for over 72 hours. Now, the finally reason that we decided to end our partnership was because they were not compatible with subscriptions services which we had installed on our site for some time. That is no fault of their own and I understand if they are not compatible, there's nothing that can be done. This review is more about their customer support. We had issues with their free gifts charging customers the actual amount of their product, which is a huge no-no when you are dealing with customers money. We literally had to refund over 20+ customers which makes our business look terrible. Now, I understand if the reason this was happening was due to the subscription service, but even after letting him know how huge of a priority this was I had to follow up with him over 4 times just to get a response that he was still working on it. Before knowing the root cause he had said it was fixed about 3 times and every time we found out that there was still another issue or was not actually fixed. This app may work for you if you do not have any incompatibilities and do not need any support but it has been a huge nightmare for us. Also, they had so much code inside our live theme. The application that we found now has been so much easier to deal with and is compatible with subscriptions, so there are better choices out there. I would really recommend improving your service to customers if #1: you want to keep customers and #2 you want to avoid bad reviews. If the service was good and the application did not work for us, I would never have taken my time to write this review.

July 14, 2021

Hi there,

Thank you for your review.

Sorry to hear that the free gift promotion did not work well with the other apps you have and the specific theme you use. We continue to invest in improving the app to ensure it is compatible with as many themes and apps as possible. Mid-June we released an update (https://releasenotes.discountninja.io/) that allows for better integration with subscription solutions. The free gift capabilities have also been improved.

Quick note: the app is a little bit more than "just an idea" ;-) Discount Ninja was created in 2016 and has seen 4 major releases, many more minor releases, and continuous development and UX improvements. It is the most complete promotions app available for Shopify. It combines free gifts, with BOGO, volume discount, Spend x, get y promotions. It also supports stacked discounts, a custom promotion code field as well as Dynamic Pricing to show discounted prices. On top of that, it offers fully configurable building blocks (widgets) to advertise your offers on your store. The app provides the necessary promotions that help Shopify merchants to increase Average Order Value and conversion rates.

Our many Shopify and Shopify Plus customers see significant results once the app is integrated properly.

DeMassageWinkel

We installed this app because we were looking for some advanced discount options, It was the worse decision we ever made. The installation support of this app is terrible. The app didn't work for our store, but instead of helping us out immediately, they told us to wait for a couple of days or hire a developer. In the mean time we were not able to offer any discounts. In the end, the app worked, but it was making our checkout terribly slow. It took around 5 second to load the cart template, and around 20 seconds to redirect to the checkout. When I told the support about this, they told me that they couldn't do anything about it now because there developers are busy (we even offered to pay!). After that, we wanted to uninstall the app. Although they helped us with removing leftover code quite quickly, they forgot some of the leftover code, so we still had to remove the app by ourselves... Honestly I wouldn't recommend this app to any store owner. It is hard to understand that the support of this app is so terrible for a monthly payment of $70.

July 5, 2021

Thank you for your review.

As discussed on the phone and over email, we are sorry to hear the second and third-level support teams did not have sufficient availability to assist you immediately during your onboarding process.

The availability of our technical staff was extremely limited at the moment you installed due to the fact that we were rolling out an important update to the app, which, among other things included improvements in the checkout performance. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Should you decide to reinstall the app, we will provide you with an extra onboarding call to ensure you can test all the features during your trial!

Amino Co. Supplements

After installing: - Free gifts would not show up in the cart unless the page was refreshed. - When the free gifts did show up it would show the full price not that it was added to the customer's cart as a free gift. - Sometimes even at checkout the item would not be discounted or recognized as a free gift. - Paid for express installation of dynamic pricing and after a week there were no changes. Although they did alter the code in my theme, nothing worked properly. - Unreliable behavior, sometimes gifts or discounts would not be added. After the theme was altered by their team to install dynamic pricing: - The time it took to load the checkout was over 10 seconds. When the user clicked the checkout button it would appear that nothing happened and the checkout was not loading. - The themes cart icon at the top right of the page is now pushed off the right of the page slightly. - Page load speed score dropped from around 35-36 which was rated as an average load time for stores like mine to 30 which is rated as slower than stores like mine. After uninstalling: - The themes cart icon at the top right of the page is still pushed off the right of the page slightly. - Page speed score has remained the same. - I have reached out to support to ask for help on this and make sure all the code that was manually entered when trying to install dynamic pricing is removed and they have been unresponsive.

March 17, 2021

Hi there Michael,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. Very sorry to hear you had a poor experience setting the app up.

The setup on themes, including Turbo, with drawer carts can be a bit more complex and can involve some minor JavaScript edits. You requested our team to set it up for you and it looks like the work done was not done well. I'm sorry about that and, as mentioned in the communication I sent via email, I'm happy to review and fix that myself.

Discount Ninja is designed to show a discounted checkout. It does so by taking over the checkout button. Some other apps or scripts can prevent the app from doing that successfully. In such cases, our support team can help you troubleshoot that. The effect the app has on the performance of the load of the checkout is minimal when the implementation is done correctly.

As mentioned via email I understand mistakes were made on our side on the setup of the app and I'd welcome an opportunity to fix that for you.

Imam Carpets - Online Shop

I requested a refund as their app did not work once with my theme. I have paid them 3 times in a row and their app did not work. Their support was terrible and took to long to work on my store properly. I can't pay for a app if it does not work and can't just pay for support.

February 8, 2021

Hi there! We have reviewed the charges for the app applied to your account by Shopify. You received one charge only. You installed on November 28, 2020 and uninstalled on January 19, 2021 and benefited from a 14-day free trial. As discussed via email, your claim (paid 3 times in a row) is indeed incorrect.

We have also reviewed your support requests. Our support team have helped you with three separate tickets. We're sorry to hear that you feel the support received was insufficient. We'll use your feedback to improve the support we provide for Discount Ninja!

AMMA Healing

Please don't use this app. I could go down a laundry list about why this is the world's worst app. Seriously stay away

December 18, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience using the app.
I'd be very interested to hear more about your experience to understand what issues you may have encountered.

Best regards,
Bart

The Steel Magnolia Company

My main reason for using this app was so my customers could use 2 discounts which Shopify won't do. This feature worked. However, the list of negatives HIGHLY out weighs this one good feature. When you schedule a promotion to start automatically, it doesn't. I had to activate manually. I had it set to start a midnight and at 12:04 I had to go activate myself. It took another 5 minutes before customers started seeing the discount on their end. Well... some of them. This made for a huge headache refunding differences. The next issue is carts already made with products in it won't see the discount. They have to clear them out and restart their browser. This doesn't always work though. There were customers with browsers open and then added items hours into the sale and they still couldn't see the discount. I kept telling my customers to clear their history and restart everything or use a different device and they still had issues. The discount wouldn't show up. This is the 2nd sale I used with this app and both times I had these issues. I have many unhappy customers who didn't get the discount and a lot more work fixing hundreds of orders! If you want to pay for a headache, this is the app for you!

December 18, 2020

Hi there,

We're sorry you had a bad experience with the app. I sent a message via email as well inviting you to discuss these issues in more detail. Our goal with Discount Ninja is to provide a flexible app that allows customers to run profitable promotions. If you have identified specific use cases that are not working as you expected, I would like to hear your feedback directly so we can address it and improve the app further.

Best regards,
Bart Coppens
Founder Discount Ninja

Mousu.Art

Customer service is slow and no solution is given still. I didn't need the Bronze Plan anymore so downgraded to Free plan so next month I won't be charged. I still had one whole month of the paid plan left but lost all the features. Support told me they don't have automatic downgrade like other subscription services had. I tried to go back to previous plan since I paid for a month the day before but it wanted to charge me again. I've contacted support for help and they said they'll contact the team and would get back to me with any update. It's been almost 3 weeks with no updates. I emailed multiple times throughout the weeks and got the same response.

November 28, 2020

Hi Jaimie,

As discussed over email, we apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Discount Ninja uses the standard Shopify subscription charging system (like most apps). The downgrade/upgrade behavior is implemented by Shopify and can lead to some surprises indeed. I hope the compensation we offered via email meets your approval and that you are enjoying the app!

Healthy Options

Slow response of team through email. All the promotions and offers I created from the start were all removed yesterday without Discount Ninja team informing me. The reports on offer usage are all inaccurate. The tagging of discounted items and adding new items are inconsistent, so manual checking of orders becomes a must. There's also the added work of communicating with the customers regarding the errors. The discounts are also not working properly.

BusDeals Today

Why is it that, after I uninstall your app, it leaves behind all its code in my theme? And when I try to remove it I get errors all of my shop? Now I have all this unneeded bloatware in my theme and no way to remove it?

limoniapps-discountninja-additionalproduct.liquid

limoniapps-fontawesome-webfont.woff
limoniapps-fontawesome-webfont.woff2

July 9, 2020

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback!

As mentioned over the phone (voicemail) and email the easiest way to uninstall the assets is to use the "Cancel plan" button in the app (available from Settings > Subscription) as described here: https://support.discountninja.io/en/articles/2698217-how-to-cancel-your-subscription

This functionality was added precisely to avoid leaving assets behind after uninstalling. The reason Shopify apps leave assets behind after deleting the app is because Shopify removes all permissions of an app when it is uninstalled. Including the permissions an app needs to "clean up". Shopify is addressing this in an update of its product that may land in 2021. Once that is in place the experience for the merchant will be easier. In the meantime, please use our "Cancel plan" button to uninstall.

As mentioned in the emails I sent you in this regard we are happy to help you remove those assets (even though they are no longer loaded and as such do not affect the performance of your theme or shop we agree that it is best practice to remove unused files to avoid confusion). We're waiting for your approval to remove those files from your theme. Please reply to our email when you have the time to let us know we can proceed.

Danger Close Apparel

Opted for them to instal the code, but they ruined my theme! My checkout button became disabled, so I lost sales all day. I reached out to customer serivce, but no one ever got back to me. In fact, I'm not sure if they ever finished installing the code because they never communicated with me. After two days, I gave up.

June 24, 2020

Hi there, as discussed in the many emails we exchanged the issue was caused by another app you had installed. As shown in the video we shared the issue is unrelated to our app. Having said that, we acknowledge our support team failed to notify you after setting up Dynamic Pricing on your theme. We have since improved our procedures to avoid this from happening. We’re sorry your experience with the app has not been the best one and we’ll use your feedback to continue improving how we provide the best support possible to our customers.

Previous 1 3