Gleam Competitions

Developer
Gleam
3.9
Edited July 25, 2022

I had been persisting with trying to use this app on the free plan but after much consideration ended up going to the Pro plan. $49USD a month seemed manageable. I then got notification that they had authorised a $5000 a month spending limit on the app on my shopify. What the HELL? There is no way I would authorise that much spending limit on the app. This feels super scammy - i've since requested account deletion and taken other steps to ensure I am not charged that much but what kind of app needs that level of account charges authorised?? The plans are super confusing and it costs way too much for any kind of useful app features. EDIT: Developers came back to me very quickly to refund the $49 charge and cancel our account. Something to do with their set up/billing system?

Good Harvest Organic Farm
Time spent using app: 22 days
Gleam replied July 26, 2022

Unfortunately, our billing is pretty complicated (four products and "credits") so we weren't able to use the normal Shopify subscription model. We needed to have that $5000 charge limit so we're able to charge based on usage or any possible plan purchase. Having it set up like that means we're able to charge your Shopify site like a credit card (so it works just like our normal billing).

I got your request to close your account and I've also refunded that $49 charge we made.

June 24, 2022

This app is a complete SCAM!!!! I signed up for the pro version which is a subscription charge of $49/mo. Then I get a bill for almost $200 USD for a month and it says on the bill "Up to $5000/mo of usage charges". I have NO idea how to set the maximum spend limit. I DO NOT want to be spending this much on this app. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

FloraNu
Time spent using app: 10 days
Gleam replied July 13, 2022

Sorry about the confusion here! I can see you signed up for our Yearly Hobby plan ($120/year) and then moved to the monthly Pro plan ($49/month).

The Pro plan was pro-rated for $10 (1/12 of the Hobby plan). We've built our plans that way so you can have a yearly plan and then easily upgrade to a higher plan for a month or two (using some of what you've already paid) then switch back to the yearly one.

I've refunded that yearly Hobby plan so you've only paid for monthly Pro plan now.

May 26, 2022

They keep downgrading the benefits to plans, AFTER you paid for them Originally you were able to list 20+ entry methods on the base tier, then they lowered it to 15, and NOW it is 10. AGAIN, AFTER YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT.

Affray LLC
Time spent using app: About 1 year
Gleam replied May 26, 2022

Thanks for leaving a review! Theres no limits on the number of Actions that can be added to a campaign, the only limit we have is the number of times a repeat Action can be added (i.e. Follow on Twitter) and this limit changes depending on your plan - you can review this information freely on our pricing pages: https://gleam.io/pricing/competitions

Looking at your account I was able to see you added more than 10 Actions to your most recent campaign and the same number of repeat Actions as the first campaign you ran with us.

If you're having specific trouble adding more than 10 actions to a campaign then please shoot us a support ticket and we'd be happy to assist!

October 22, 2021

Actually it is useless to my website. I installed it to post a giveaway, but it worked not well at all. It'll cost 158$ on my billing list.

Meowfuns
Time spent using app: 9 days
Gleam replied October 23, 2021

Thanks for your review! I can see you've upgraded to an unnecessary Rewards plan alongside your Competitions one - just submit a support ticket and someone on the team will gladly help you rectify this problem and reverse the charges on your Shopify bill :)

July 30, 2021

Wasted $39 to try the app for 8 minutes to realize it wasn't going to work. Once you start building a contest you realize there are several paid upgrades you need to do almost anything. Purchased one upgrade, realized I needed two more, thought this app was a good free choice and then found it would cost over $150 a month to do what I need. Disappointed I just wasted $39

Main Event Emblems
Time spent using app: 24 minutes
Gleam replied July 31, 2021

Our refund policy covers cases like this, if you've upgraded but decide the app isn't for you before launching your campaign just submit a support ticket and we'll refund no questions asked!