Instafeed ‑ Instagram Feed

Instafeed ‑ Instagram Feed

by Mintt Studio

NEW API! Add custom shoppable Instagram feeds to your Store

asher + arden

Piggybacking on the other review someone posted from Feb 19th, 2020. Who said "Good because it's free and it works. My only gripe is that it is not mobile responsive. If it was, this would be 5 stars." However, I'm rating it one star below that, simply because of the developer's pathetic response to that review.

I actually happen to be a front-end web developer who writes HTML/CSS and has created feeds like this from scratch. I would absolutely NOT call this either "responsive" or "adaptive" (it's literally neither). All it does is scale down proportionately so that the same number of images appear on mobile as on desktop, which makes them tiny if you have any more than 2 images showing in the row.

Do you remember how websites looked on phones before people started developing for mobile? You'd see the full desktop site, but you'd be zoomed way out so it fits on your tiny phone screen without having to scroll sideways. Nothing would be readable, everything was tiny. You had to pinch-to-zoom to interact with anything, see images, etc. This is exactly the same way this instagram feed functions. Setting max-width: 100%; in your CSS and height: auto; on your images is about the lamest excuse I've ever seen for "responsive".

So no, it's absolutely not responsive. Does it work on mobile? Yes. It acts exactly like an old non-responsive website does. However, "does it work?" is a pretty low bar when non-responsive sites also technically meet that requirement. A better question would be "how is the user experience on mobile?" and the answer to that question would be "pretty garbage because you can't see anything". In my opinion, that doesn't count as "responsive" at all.

Shopify's built in feature worked fine. Their developers just didn't want to be bothered to update their tool to use Instagram's new Graph API (which honestly would have taken one of their developers an afternoon) so instead they're passing the buck to third party developers. Now, if you want actual responsive functionality with your Instagram feed, you need to shell out more cash. It's lazy on Shopify's part, and seemingly the third party options are also pretty garbage unless you pay money.

But hey, it's free I guess.

February 20, 2020

Hi asher + arden,

Thanks for the detailed review, we really appreciate the time you took here and the technical details but I'm afraid it doesn't reflect our app since you are only referring to the free version. With our app you can even manually choose the number of rows and columns you want to show on mobile with our Pro and Plus plans.

We are happy to explain everything by email if you want contact us at support@minttstudio.com

Thanks,

Michellia Fine Jewelry

The app does a decent job, but has limitations in the number of feeds/products to display even when we are using paid plans. We use Instagram as a primary sales channel but the app limits display to 20 rows - which is about 20 pictures only if you are on mobile and set the setting to display one product per row.

This is on a paid plan too - we contacted the developer to see whether we can come to a custom solution to get more feed display, but they are very dismissive and became unresponsive after the first or second message.

Also, the feed update is not as frequent as we'd like. Oftentimes we will publish something on Instagram and then have to wait for a whole hour until the picture shows up in the app. Contacted the developer about this and received no response/explanation.

If capacity is an issue, then perhaps offer a more expensive plan to cover for businesses who really need a full feed display, or at least offer the support your client deserves from being on a monthly subscription. It doesn't feel like they cared.

nonstopbydo

genial

xtremefella

Shit i need do sub and like they page i dont want i need profint not likes and etc shit but any way ir prety good app

May 3, 2019

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, we believe we are reviewing the wrong app though as we don't require you to do anything, just enjoy our app. :)

Cheers,

shiri tam fine jewelry

I have personal and business Instagram accounts. How can I connect my business instagram account to show up on my shopify store?

March 1, 2019

Hi there,

Check our FAQ to solve your problem: https://nfcube.com/index/?p=faq

Contact us via support email if you need any help with it.

Thanks,

Glass City Pipes

issues with it randomly not showing up on site and needed to redo the token. when working, it's great

House Of Mars Nyc

It's somewhat easy to install and considering it's free is great. If you aren't a coder though you might have trouble. I'm not a coder. I was able to figure out some of my set up issues which was answered in the FAQ like I picked wrong account and then wanted a title to the section. I don't understand why there isn't a box you could click in the set up for it instead of needing to paste in coding. I still can't figure out how to position this feed where I want on my home page. Currently it's under my newsletter subscription request and I would like it above that or even better yet, alongside the text of our statement. There seems to be some sort of instructions but it's not clear and I am not about to test this and mess up my site playing where do I pop in this coding. I also was interested in adding the animation effects but was confused with the instructions.

Jadyk Beautique

Don't know what's going on, but somehow the pics never changed to the size that I want them to display online. And did not have " Follow Us On Instagram" on top, is only pics.