Instagram channel

Instagram channel

by Shopify

Sell on Instagram by tagging products in your posts & stories.

valley of the dawn

My shop was not approved for product tagging even though it follows all the rules and guidelines. My facebook was added and obviously works. I chose to work with shopify for this simple fact of selling on IG. Very unhappy with the amount I pay for this site but unable to use it for what was advertised

July 12, 2019

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch and for providing us with some feedback on the Instagram sales channel. The approvals process for Instagram is different from the Facebook one, meaning that approval for the latter does not guarantee approval for the former. I can appreciate the frustration in being denied use of the Instagram app, as often the reason for denial is not clear.

I'd love to speak with you further on this to discuss options moving forward, so I will be sending you an email shortly so that we can evaluate this matter in more detail. Please keep an eye out for my email in your inbox and I look forward to continuing this discussion with you. -Victor, Shopify Support

Rx Los Angeles

Same problem, denied immediately with no reason. My FB sales store wasn't denied so it doesn't make any sense.

July 6, 2019

Thank you very much for sharing this feedback! The Instagram review process is separate to the process performed by Facebook. This is why some shops will see an approval on one, but not the other.

I'd like to work on this with you further. While it is up to Instagram to action the approval, there may be steps we can take to have them look again. I've reached out to you by email and look forward to hearing back. -Lizzy, Shopify Support

TunerFuse

Instagram immediately denied my request to tag my products. It's ridiculous, clearly no effort was put into looking into my shop. I'm unsure how I am ineligible when all I sell is shirts, stickers, and car accessories.

July 6, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review here! While Instagram has the final say on approvals there are sometimes ways to appeal the decision. Especially if you feel your products fit within the guidelines and your accounts meet the requirements. Have you been able to try reporting a problem in the Instagram app?

We’re always looking for ways to improve store owners' experience on Shopify, so I’ve followed up with you via email to discuss this further. I look forward to chatting with you. -Lizzy, Shopify Support

ItsAllYouBabyBoutique

I am sooooo thankful that I am not crazy and it's not just me that has received the "your store wasn't approved to sell on Instagram" message right after adding the sales channel. I've tried several times with the same results. Thankfully, after reading the reviews, it's not just my store and that it's on Instagram's end. (There's no way they could have reviewed my store with how quickly I was denied. And I sell baby products which are pretty straightforward and easy). Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, Instagram doesn't really have a customer support team so there's no real way to communicate with them to get this resolved which SUCKS!!! I may need to look at other websites, since I am not sure how well I can generate traffic to my shop without this feature on Instagram. It seems like it shouldn't be a big deal to not have this Instagram feature, but it is! Sadly, I just don't really get that much traffic on Facebook and have to always keep saying "link in bio" on the post is something I was hoping to get away from.

July 3, 2019

You're definitely not alone, and we recognize how frustrating this must be for you to have been deemed ineligible for product tagging despite meeting the requirements for the Instagram Channel. As you've seen, Instagram is responsible for this decision making and we do not have any say in that process. We do appreciate you sharing your experience with us - and I will definitely pass it along to our development team on your behalf. I've also reached out to you via email and would be happy to continue this conversation there if there's anything else you would like to add or work together on. Hope to hear back from you! -Emma, Shopify Support

#untrashy

I am one of the hundreds of people on here who have been deemed 'ineligible' despite meeting all criteria. The sales lost due to this glitch are in the thousands of dollars. My only option is to find another web store provider or continue to miss out on sales.
It's a shame the Shopify cannot put more pressure on IG to repair the issue and provide better support. I have reported my issue no less than 30 times to IG but received zero reply.

How about Shopify give us all free access to their site until this is fixed.. we're paying a service that is not being delivered in full! Very disappointed.

July 3, 2019

Thanks for submitting your feedback about your experience with the Instagram Sales Channel. I'm sorry to hear that it's not been a positive one. I know it's frustrating to be deemed ineligible, without explanation and I'll certainly pass this feedback along directly to our developers on your behalf. Our team is always working to improve the Shopify platform and our apps. I've also reached out to you by email and hope to continue the conversation there. -Emma, Shopify Support

Heather and Haggis

I originally rated this app 1 star (and my original review can be seen below), but I have updated my review after receiving some assistance from Shopify support. I am now selling and once approved, that process is easy, but I cannot rate more than 3 stars because there is so little information available if you run in to this rejection problem.

I was originally tagged as ineligible to sell on Instagram, but was accepted after unlinking my Facebook and Instagram pages, switching Instagram back to a personal profile, removing the tag "Designer" from my Facebook page (go to edit page > page info > about > category), then reconnecting everything as normal. I was approved and selling on Instagram within a couple of hours.

I think the problem is that there are several Facebook category tags which are flagged as a service, and Instagram doesn't allow the sale of services, only physical goods. So make sure that none of your Facebook category tags are services - "gift shop" and "home decor" work fine for me.

Hope that helps someone.

Original review - "I am yet another user who has been tagged as not eligible for Instagram product tagging within seconds of setting up the channel. I have been through Instagram's sparse information with a fine tooth comb and have found no reason for me to be denied.

A previous reviewer pointed out with how fast the rejection occurs it is probably a broken bot on Instagram's side, and I wholly appreciate that this is not your (Shopify's) decision, however when you know that this is a recurring and major problem you need to do something to apply pressure to Instagram on behalf of your customers and get it fixed asap. Continuing to partner with Instagram when they repeatedly let you down just damages your brand."

June 30, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts with us!

While the approval system is determined by Instagram, we’re always working to improve the user experience on Shopify.

I’ve followed up with you via email to log your feedback for our platform team and chat about this in more detail. I look forward to speaking soon! -Lizzy, Shopify Support

Snuggle Lane

My store selling baby products is not eligible for products tagging??? awaiting a reply from support

June 28, 2019

Hi, there. I'm sorry to hear that your account was deemed ineligible for product tagging. At this time, Instagram is not providing us with any additional information about the reason(s) for these decisions. As such, we would suggest reaching out to Instagram directly to report this.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’ve followed up with you via email to log your feedback for our development team and hope to hear back from you. -Emma, Shopify Support

May68

This is such a mess! My Shopify & Instagram account use to work seamlessly and I was easily able to tag products on my Business instagram and a huge chunk of sales were connected because of that. Now no matter what I try, who I contact (Instagram / Shopify / Facebook) or what I do it doesn't work! I don't have a shopping option on my business posts, and I am frustrated & tired & losing money because of this. I am tired of no one having an answer & my small business losing out.

June 20, 2019

Thank you for the feedback with the Instagram app! I totally understand how frustrating this is for you. If you're store is approved for Instagram product tagging, you simply need to follow the guide on product tagging by Instagram here: https://help.instagram.com/2022466637835789

If you are getting stuck at any of those steps, I'm happy to take a look to see if it is something Shopify can assist with. I have sent you an email so I can work on your account in more detail. Looking forward to connecting with you!

- Alex, Shopify Support

Larkhall Coffee Co.

Absolutely useless and no help from instagram. Our site is apparently ineligible despite meeting all the requirements. I sell coffee!

June 18, 2019

There is currently no appeal process to get you into an approved state. We are not able to surface the reason for their rejection. This is a decision on the Instagram side of things. We hope that in time, Instagram will come to reassess this and review your store again. Currently the best way to get in contact with Instagram regarding store eligibility is by using the "report a problem" option within the app itself.

I have sent you an email to give you the opportunity to provide any further feedback you may have as well as offer alternative ways to contact Instagram so you can find out where the disconnect is coming from. Looking forward to connecting with you!

- Alex, Shopify Support

Chia's Silver Lining

IG has approved our new IG account- it took weeks, and we still are not able to connect our Shopify account. We are approved on FaceBook etc. Very frustrating. Impossible to get support at IG.

Reply- there is no ability to actually "contact Instagram" on your link. It only goes to the community rules and standards. When they post you can appeal the decision, there is no way to send an appeal. I have been through multiple pages trying to find it. Grr. Do you developers ever actually test the links to see where it goes?

June 18, 2019

Thank you for sharing this feedback!

I'm sorry to hear you've hit a roadblock with Instagram. Currently, the best way to reach out to Instagram's support if you haven't been approved is to appeal the decision via the "contact Instagram" link in the sales channel. Currently, Shopify has no control over this decision and Instagram has complete control over that process. That said, I’ve followed up with you via email to look into this further and to log your feedback for our development team. - Lauren, Shopify Support