Instagram channel

Instagram channel

by Shopify

Sell on Instagram by tagging products in your posts & stories.

Heather and Haggis

I originally rated this app 1 star (and my original review can be seen below), but I have updated my review after receiving some assistance from Shopify support. I am now selling and once approved, that process is easy, but I cannot rate more than 3 stars because there is so little information available if you run in to this rejection problem.

I was originally tagged as ineligible to sell on Instagram, but was accepted after unlinking my Facebook and Instagram pages, switching Instagram back to a personal profile, removing the tag "Designer" from my Facebook page (go to edit page > page info > about > category), then reconnecting everything as normal. I was approved and selling on Instagram within a couple of hours.

I think the problem is that there are several Facebook category tags which are flagged as a service, and Instagram doesn't allow the sale of services, only physical goods. So make sure that none of your Facebook category tags are services - "gift shop" and "home decor" work fine for me.

Hope that helps someone.

Original review - "I am yet another user who has been tagged as not eligible for Instagram product tagging within seconds of setting up the channel. I have been through Instagram's sparse information with a fine tooth comb and have found no reason for me to be denied.

A previous reviewer pointed out with how fast the rejection occurs it is probably a broken bot on Instagram's side, and I wholly appreciate that this is not your (Shopify's) decision, however when you know that this is a recurring and major problem you need to do something to apply pressure to Instagram on behalf of your customers and get it fixed asap. Continuing to partner with Instagram when they repeatedly let you down just damages your brand."

June 30, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts with us!

While the approval system is determined by Instagram, we’re always working to improve the user experience on Shopify.

I’ve followed up with you via email to log your feedback for our platform team and chat about this in more detail. I look forward to speaking soon! -Lizzy, Shopify Support

Snuggle Lane

My store selling baby products is not eligible for products tagging??? awaiting a reply from support

June 28, 2019

Hi, there. I'm sorry to hear that your account was deemed ineligible for product tagging. At this time, Instagram is not providing us with any additional information about the reason(s) for these decisions. As such, we would suggest reaching out to Instagram directly to report this.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’ve followed up with you via email to log your feedback for our development team and hope to hear back from you. -Emma, Shopify Support

May68

This is such a mess! My Shopify & Instagram account use to work seamlessly and I was easily able to tag products on my Business instagram and a huge chunk of sales were connected because of that. Now no matter what I try, who I contact (Instagram / Shopify / Facebook) or what I do it doesn't work! I don't have a shopping option on my business posts, and I am frustrated & tired & losing money because of this. I am tired of no one having an answer & my small business losing out.

June 20, 2019

Thank you for the feedback with the Instagram app! I totally understand how frustrating this is for you. If you're store is approved for Instagram product tagging, you simply need to follow the guide on product tagging by Instagram here: https://help.instagram.com/2022466637835789

If you are getting stuck at any of those steps, I'm happy to take a look to see if it is something Shopify can assist with. I have sent you an email so I can work on your account in more detail. Looking forward to connecting with you!

Larkhall Coffee Co.

Absolutely useless and no help from instagram. Our site is apparently ineligible despite meeting all the requirements. I sell coffee!

June 18, 2019

There is currently no appeal process to get you into an approved state. We are not able to surface the reason for their rejection. This is a decision on the Instagram side of things. We hope that in time, Instagram will come to reassess this and review your store again. Currently the best way to get in contact with Instagram regarding store eligibility is by using the "report a problem" option within the app itself.

I have sent you an email to give you the opportunity to provide any further feedback you may have as well as offer alternative ways to contact Instagram so you can find out where the disconnect is coming from. Looking forward to connecting with you!

Chia's Silver Lining

IG has approved our new IG account- it took weeks, and we still are not able to connect our Shopify account. We are approved on FaceBook etc. Very frustrating. Impossible to get support at IG.

Reply- there is no ability to actually "contact Instagram" on your link. It only goes to the community rules and standards. When they post you can appeal the decision, there is no way to send an appeal. I have been through multiple pages trying to find it. Grr. Do you developers ever actually test the links to see where it goes?

June 18, 2019

Thank you for sharing this feedback!

I'm sorry to hear you've hit a roadblock with Instagram. Currently, the best way to reach out to Instagram's support if you haven't been approved is to appeal the decision via the "contact Instagram" link in the sales channel. Currently, Shopify has no control over this decision and Instagram has complete control over that process. That said, I’ve followed up with you via email to look into this further and to log your feedback for our development team. - Lauren, Shopify Support

AGAATI

IG - shopify integration sucks. Not sure if it is Shopify or IG but off late it has become near impossible to get any help. I am unable to tag my products on IG and no one can help.

June 18, 2019

Thank you for the feedback with the Instagram app! I totally understand how frustrating this is for you. Shopify is available to use for support in terms of the integration but if your issue is with eligibility approval, this is solely Instagram's decision and Shopify is unable to surface the reason for their rejection. Currently the best way to get in contact with Instagram regarding store eligibility is by using the "report a problem" option within the app itself.

Lottie & Lane

I was rejected and provided no way to re-apply or get a review. I have read instagram's policies and fully comply. I sell children's clothing! Very frustrating.

Instabilite Shop

It doesn't work for my business too as many people here. It wasn't eligible. I only sells ponytails and clothes. Not a big deal.

June 17, 2019

Thank you for the feedback with the Instagram app! I totally understand how frustrating this is for you. We are not able to surface the reason for their rejection. This is a decision on the Instagram side of things. We hope that in time, Instagram will come to reassess this and review your store again.

I have sent you an email to give you the opportunity to provide any further feedback you may have as well as offer alternative ways to contact Instagram so you can find out why you are not being approved. Looking forward to connecting with you!

Blooodcells Clothing Co.

Im glad im not the only one. Product tagging on instagram sucks and does not work. hopefully it will be fixed in the future

June 17, 2019

Thanks for sharing your feedback! Setting up the Instagram channel does have a number of basic requirements like making sure you have a business profile or connecting your Facebook Page. I’d like to look into this further for you so I’ve sent out to an email to you. - JP, Shopify Support

Big Bass Dreams Australia

Nothing new here! "Your store isn’t eligible for Instagram product tagging" This app is terrible - hours spent trying to make this work. Countless forums read and hundreds of different tweaks to try and make this connect. Unfortunately, hundreds of $ being missed through Instagram because of this. Disappointing.