Lulu xPress

Lulu xPress

by Lulu Publishing

Create, Sell and Ship books easily with the Lulu xPress App

The Obolus Press

Poor quality control. Poor customer support. I placed orders for several samples from LuLu (both in Shopify via the app and through xpress.lulu.com). The gloss cover paperback was fine, but the matte covers on three different paperbacks were badly curled. I also contacted support about the customized packing slip: LuLu acknowledged that there was an issue and said its developers were investigating, but it's been three weeks now and I still haven't heard back... It's a pity, because done properly I think this service would be a tremendous success (many small publishers would welcome the ability to have a third party process single book orders for them from their own websites) — but there is no way I could sell such a shoddy product to customers.

Product Design Interview

I use Lulu xPress for about two years now. It worked well until several months ago and it became a disaster. Apparently there is 0 quality assurance made at the printing facilities. I have numerous copies of my book delivered with pages empty of content. The support is always helpful and sends a replacement, but in last several weeks I had several clients who received faulty product even on second and THIRD attempt. Unfortunately it damages my relationship, since I really look unprofessional when customer receives a faulty product, then the replacement arrives faulty again and the next one again. It also affects my income since I have to refund such customers. I asked for clarifications when such issues can be fixed but didn't receive concrete answers. If you have an alternative consider avoiding Lulu.

Science Service Dog

Update: I really wanted to come back and change my original review saying things were resolved, but I can't. After multiple attempts, I finally got a human on the phone, who I thought was helpful. They did enable my product in my store so that customers could order, which they did, however, it has been 20 days now and the order has not even gone to production because the original issue was not fixed. I am stuck with $400 in sales, no product, angry customers, and still, no answer when (or if) they will get their product at the height of the holiday season. If I could give zero stars I would since they have done nothing to assist nor can I get any product. I made a calendar for my Shopify store, it shows up in my store but you can't order it, I keep getting an error message when attempting to place an order. I have contacted their customer service, no response. I contacted Shopify, they confirmed it was not on their end and contacted Lulu xPress's customer service copying me on the email and I did get an email back several days later. I sent screenshots as requested and since then nothing. I have tried for 10-days to resolve this and nothing. I will move on to another app and start over.

22 Lions

When I press the option to associate one of my books with lulu app, the full list of books doesn't show up. If I put the whole title, the book doesn't show up. The paperback cover takes too much time to process as well, because of the size requirements. There should be a format that integrates the front image and allows to add text to the back image. This would allow a much faster process. The advantage for me with Lulu is the creation of hardcover books. Not many platforms allow me this. I wanted to sell hardcovers through this app, but it's just too complicated to create the hardcover cover, and then go through a system that doesn't work properly. I don't even really know how much I am paying per sale, because that price shown includes production only, and not shipping. P.S. I am not trying to do more with the app that it was designed for. Unless you mean accelerating what already exists and expect the full list of books to appear in the search engine. As for my last email it was meant to improve your business, and has nothing to do with this review. It's disappointing when help is transformed as a justification to nullify an argument.

October 20, 2020

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you bringing your issues to our attention. We’re sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience trying to get your store set up properly and connected to your books, that's not what we like to hear. After more research and conversation, it appears you're actually trying to do more with the app than it's currently designed for. We appreciate the the ideas presented in your last email and will consider some of them for the next version of our app. Your business means a lot to us, so if you ever have additional feedback, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your books!

Adventurers Tale

I tried to use the app and create a book but I failed. So after a few hours trying I wrote an email to the Customer Service. They answered that my request was highly important but they won't answer because of too high level of request they have to face.
It's an absolute shame to face such a situation so I deleted the app and wen to competition and found some offering great service.
So as a piece of advice, I recommend to flee Lulu "service".

October 20, 2020

Thank you for writing a review, we sincerely appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. We’re sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience trying to get in touch with our customer service team, that's not what we like to hear. Due to COVID related restrictions and high volumes of new users, we are experiencing some unprecedented delays with our support responses. If you ever need assistance at another time, you can consult our knowledge base and FAQ page for potential solutions to your issues. Your business means a lot to us, so if you ever have additional feedback, please don't hesitate to email us.

Cindy Bendel Designs

This app doesn't work. I installed it then tried to create a book. I keep getting the following message:

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Unable to select your Connected Shopify Product?
We've identified a bug that is preventing users from selecting a Product while creating their Lulu xPress project. We're actively working on a fix.

March 31, 2020

We're sorry you experienced this issue during your attempt to use our app and that you were unable to use the provided workaround. In the future, please reach out to us and we can try to help you. Our DEV team is testing a fix for this issue and should be able to deploy it soon, so we hope you'll give us another try! Please feel free to reach out directly to us if you have any questions.

MotorsportMaps

(SECOND REVIEW - 9/21/2020): Production times are over a month. I have customers complaining daily, asking where their orders are. This is not an issue of the USPS or Fedex, this is a production/manufacturing issue that Lulu has faced since we began working with them.

We get the same old runaround from customer service about how they are working on it. We have been working with Lulu for about a year now and it has just been painful from start to finish.

If you're serious about starting a print-on-demand product, look elsewhere. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run for your business. Do not be fooled by Lulu's flashy interface and design. It's all smoke and mirrors. Behind the scenes it's a mess.

(FIRST REVIEW - 4/27/2020): If you are planning to start a business around selling books, be vary wary before jumping in head first with this app. There are issues with the app as well as print quality control.

We have been using the Lulu Xpress App for about 4 months now to print thousands of books. Our library consists of about 90 titles and we have spent thousands of dollars with Lulu.

The app is riddled with bugs and issues. It is finicky and breaks easily. Many times it feels like wrestling a bear to get the app to do what it is supposed to.

Whether you're trying to view your orders or trying to upload/update a book, a new error or bug will present itself. The app requires various workarounds to avoid these bugs, but regardless a new one will pop up in its place, bringing production to a halt. "Internal Server Errors" seem to never go away. We hold our breath every time we launch the app, cringing at what broken mess we're going to run into.

This is not something that a business can afford to deal with on a weekly basis. As it stands, we have not been able to access the app at all in over a week.

We have been working with customer service to solve these issues. This is an additional problem in itself. The line of communication is not efficient. You will be in contact through an email support ticket chain. With this chain, your customer service rep will relay or mediate your issue to a "developer" who is "working on the problem."

It is just flat out inefficient and we expected more support and competency considering the volume we are producing and future plans of growth for our business.

To their defense, customer service does reply fairly quickly. They do try and it seems they are sincere in their efforts to help in whatever way they can. Unfortunately, they're dealing with a broken app.

The backend development of this app has a long way to go. The errors and bugs shouldn't exist to begin with.

Because we are in this far, we will continue using Lulu for the time being, in hopes that they are able to iron out these issues soon. I will update this review once they do. Until then, I would not recommend this app.

Kampion Fitness

This app simply does NOT work! I've actually reached out to their support team TWO times over the course of 3 months and they haven't responded... it's a shame because I actually use their website to print my books...

April 16, 2019

Hi Kampion. We are so bummed that you're having this issue, but thank you for reporting it to us when you did. We have actually responded quickly each time, but not sure if it went to your spam folder initially. Even worse, it seems isolated to your instance and is making it harder for our team to replicate and fix. However, the team thinks they've found the issue and are working on a fix for it, to be released within our next sprint. We appreciate you as a customer and value your feedback, and hopefully we get the chance to help you connect your store and products soon. Thanks again!

This website is a DBA of Mr. John Carson Lester Jr & the TeleDistributors Call Center. Click the COG to the TOP LEFT to SWITCH between our MANY THEMES!

Many if not most of the reviews here are terrible, especially considering that this is a company that more or less boasts that they are "Masters of the Print on Demand" book printing Universe.

Um, I don't think so.

Many here are complaining of really poor customer service as well as comically mishandled orders. Well, I haven't gotten yet to the mishandled order stage, but I have received really poor customer service.

I have been STUCK for about ten days now not getting too much done with LuLu although lately I've been able to forge ahead and make some progress mostly thanks to my own efforts. I finally managed to get one book accepted by the Lulu "platform." With AMAZON, everythng was INSTANT, worked the first time, and took mere minutes, not days. All this time I've been emailing and getting mostly ignored. Incomplete answers provided every 3 to 4 days, at best, with total radio silence in between.

I told their support via email about four hours ago that I had had it and that I was going to be leaving this one star review.

More radio silence.

THEY.DO.NOT.CARE.

They're Masters of the Universe, remember? sarc/

April 16, 2019

Hi John. Thank you for writing a review, we sincerely appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. We’re sorry to hear you had such a frustrating experience trying to get in touch with our customer service team, that's not what we like to hear. However, after researching the case files, it seems you were reaching out during advertised Holiday hours, which is why communication was slower than normal. File formatting issues can be a pain sometimes, especially when you are using a file output from another publishing platform, but we hope you were able get your products created. If not, please check out some of our formatting tips HERE: https://xpress.lulu.com/faq#setup. We've listed our available hours clearly on our Contact Us page and on social media, and if you ever need assistance at another time, you can consult our knowledge base and FAQ page in the interim, and we'll reach back out to you first thing the next business day. Your business means a lot to us, so if you ever have additional feedback, please don't hesitate to email us.

Creators Mag

I started a Print and Digital Magazine and thought I would try LuluxPress out because it was attached to shopify.. However this is the worst Print on demand service I will ever encounter! First I made sure my book was perfect and printed it for myself.. Finally I recieved it and the colours were distorted, the cut of the magazine was all off I was missing page numbers because they cut past the bleed line! I decided to try and fix it and give them another try and I released my first issue... This was a terrrrrrrrible mistake. I published the magazine and now there was an even bigger problem it took my customers months to receive the magazine. I was publishing 2 other magazines from a different Print on demand place and they were receiving those issues before my first one. VERY dissapointing. and every single purchase was a frustration because they were all extremely late and untraceable. I contacted them each time and LuluxPress made the excuse each time that it was stuck at the border so I was fed up and I made the switch! Until they are more developed and have a better system please don't waste your damn time.

April 22, 2019

Thank you for the feedback Creators Mag. Our apologies again for the issues with your project. We have now corrected the file and shipping issues that were born from your experience. Magazines were a new product for us and unfortunately, there were still a few bugs popping up. We're bummed we couldn't meet your expectations out of the gate, but your feedback did lead to discoveries for us that ultimately led to a better product...so thank you again.