Bold Memberships

Bold Memberships

$9.99/month. 14-day free trial.
Rating (3.9)
Developer
3.9
July 31, 2018

HORRIBLE, never worked! This is app couldn't even download. It's been a nightmare

The Winning Brand
Time spent using app: 10 days
July 12, 2018

Don't fall into the description trap this app says. You install the app and Step 5 (Subscription boxes) aren't listed. When I emailed support I was informed they no longer have a subscription box option in the app. They bait and switch. They tell me their Recurring Orders app has this feature. I don't need the option for customers to build their own subscription box. The whole point of going with this app was for the subscription box feature that is planned on our business side and not for the customer to build a monthly box with items they want. The recurring orders app charges a 1% feee for each box also.

Vector Quilts
Time spent using app: Over 1 year
April 25, 2018

If I could leave zero stars, I would. Absolutely nothing worked after they installed the app. When contacting support, I would only receive links to videos and articles (which I had already watched & read). I called twice, you don’t reach anyone but are told to leave a message. I have not been called back once. I have two open tickets on my issues...no help. I’m uninstalling and going tonfind a different app. So frustrating!

Threecrazycrows
Time spent using app: 21 days
March 27, 2018

great app but customer services is really poor! Please and please do a better job with your client and don't leave them in the dark.

Glitzwatches
Time spent using app: About 1 month
Edited January 7, 2022

UPDATE: After gaining thousands of members, we decided to transition to a membership solution that meets our needs. We removed our membership plan from the app, disconnected the payment gateways, and deleted the app from our store... and all of our members are continuing to be charged. I cannot EVER recommend this app because they have taken no responsibility for the charges their app continues to make after we no longer have access to the memberships created by the app. THIS IS A HUGE BREACH OF TRUST. I'm dumbfounded as to why any payment platforms continue to work with Bold if this is how their apps work. We have an open support ticket with Bold, but they continue to have no solution for the fact that their app continues to charge our customers after we've deleted the app. Recurring Memberships is...fine. It does what it sets out to do, and nothing more. For example, customers don't get a customized notification e-mail (or any e-mail at all from the app) when they sign up for recurring memberships, which seems very odd. It's not necessary, but odd. I mentioned this to the Bold team, as I thought I had simply missed it, but they confirmed that it's not an option. I had hoped to offer free shipping or a global discount to all members, but the app doesn't allow this. The in-app functionality of what you can offer members is really limited. I also wish you could prompt customers before checkout to see if they want to become a member. I also with Recurring Memberships would sync with customer accounts in Shopify. Last, I've been inundated with e-mails from Bold since I signed up for Recurring Memberships. Customer service has been responsive but not actually active in improving the app. Overall, I am paying customer for this app simply because there aren't any other viable options out there. I hope Bold spends more time developing the app, but I didn't get the impression from their customer service team that they'll be making any improvements any time soon. [Update: I had an excellent interaction with Jordan at Bold after posting this review. Jordan succeeded where the previous 3 reps did not--he found workable solutions for almost all of the issues above. The biggest tip was that you can create "groups" in Shopify, filtering by the tag you associate with your recurring members, and you can then create discount codes that can only be used by members of those groups. Thanks Jordan!]

Stonemaier Games
Time spent using app: Almost 4 years
January 2, 2018

I'm sure this is a wonderful app and the promise is enticing. I will warn you about this. If you do NOT have a full-time web developer, forget this app. This app requires you to modify your basic Shopify store code. (Yes, I realize that's unbelievable, but it's true.) You sure as heck better know what you are doing if you're going to modify the code.

That means...who is responsible for the app - for your store breaking down? Shopify? - NOPE - You modified THEIR code. BOLD? Maybe - unless they can convince you that YOU are the problem. YOU? - Yep - That's where the ultimate responsibility resides.

That's why I say, unless you have a full-time Shopify-certified web developer, you'd better think twice about buying this add-on. It took me 24 hours to realize my mistake.

Alexander Art Supplies
Time spent using app: 2 days
October 31, 2017

Hard to believe this app has great ratings. The integration process is horrible! The support is horrible! Instructions on how to do things, you guessed it... horrible!

Absoluteprotectionsecurity
Time spent using app: About 19 hours
October 21, 2017

Call center can not start a new membership. Not workable for us.

Native American Coffee Com
Time spent using app: 3 days
June 25, 2017

Forget this application. After 6 days of struggle (I even had to uninstall MailChimp due to conflicts), and after receiving 22 emails from 6 different guys (Chris, Corey and Brendin did not even know what Alan, Mohammad and Bhumi were doing on the same ticket - unbelievable), I finally uninstalled the application.

Marcorosignoli
Time spent using app: 5 days
June 21, 2017

If I could give no stars I would. Nothing about this app is fully baked nor does it have any of the basics that you would expect from any business:

1. No welcome/thank you/receipt email sent to the customer when they purchase something.
2. Formatting the text in their widget is broken
3. The ability to turn off automated emails for certain items is broken
4. You are stuck with their definition of memberships. I have a 6 month and 1 day membership but can't use them because they don't have them and you can't pick your own
5. The checkout form doesn't include address or zipcode, or company logos, or credit card logos, or encryption type, just a very sketchy generic form that looks like you are phishing customer CC info
6. Their email styling is broken and doesn't save formatting
7. Can't send your customers emails through the app, you have to download them out and upload them into another app then send the emails
8. Absolutely will not give you an estimate of when the broken items will be fixed, meanwhile, I have a very cheesy unprofessional looking website waiting on them and paying monthly fees.
9. Be ready to get emails about the new apps you can sign up for when the ones they have out don't work. Maybe they could QA something before building something else half ass.

The only redeeming quality is Chis the support manager tries very hard to support a piecemeal broken product.

Gabbos Sports Betting