Bold Memberships

A Membership Program w/ Custom Access & Recurring Billing

$9.99/month. 14-day free trial.

• Speed tested: low impact to your online store

Glitzwatches

Time spent using app About 1 month

great app but customer services is really poor! Please and please do a better job with your client and don't leave them in the dark.

Stonemaier Games

Time spent using app Almost 4 years

UPDATE: After gaining thousands of members, we decided to transition to a membership solution that meets our needs. We removed our membership plan from the app, disconnected the payment gateways, and deleted the app from our store... and all of our members are continuing to be charged. I cannot EVER recommend this app because they have taken no responsibility for the charges their app continues to make after we no longer have access to the memberships created by the app. THIS IS A HUGE BREACH OF TRUST. I'm dumbfounded as to why any payment platforms continue to work with Bold if this is how their apps work. We have an open support ticket with Bold, but they continue to have no solution for the fact that their app continues to charge our customers after we've deleted the app. Recurring Memberships is...fine. It does what it sets out to do, and nothing more. For example, customers don't get a customized notification e-mail (or any e-mail at all from the app) when they sign up for recurring memberships, which seems very odd. It's not necessary, but odd. I mentioned this to the Bold team, as I thought I had simply missed it, but they confirmed that it's not an option. I had hoped to offer free shipping or a global discount to all members, but the app doesn't allow this. The in-app functionality of what you can offer members is really limited. I also wish you could prompt customers before checkout to see if they want to become a member. I also with Recurring Memberships would sync with customer accounts in Shopify. Last, I've been inundated with e-mails from Bold since I signed up for Recurring Memberships. Customer service has been responsive but not actually active in improving the app. Overall, I am paying customer for this app simply because there aren't any other viable options out there. I hope Bold spends more time developing the app, but I didn't get the impression from their customer service team that they'll be making any improvements any time soon. [Update: I had an excellent interaction with Jordan at Bold after posting this review. Jordan succeeded where the previous 3 reps did not--he found workable solutions for almost all of the issues above. The biggest tip was that you can create "groups" in Shopify, filtering by the tag you associate with your recurring members, and you can then create discount codes that can only be used by members of those groups. Thanks Jordan!]

Alexander Art Supplies

I'm sure this is a wonderful app and the promise is enticing. I will warn you about this. If you do NOT have a full-time web developer, forget this app. This app requires you to modify your basic Shopify store code. (Yes, I realize that's unbelievable, but it's true.) You sure as heck better know what you are doing if you're going to modify the code.

That means...who is responsible for the app - for your store breaking down? Shopify? - NOPE - You modified THEIR code. BOLD? Maybe - unless they can convince you that YOU are the problem. YOU? - Yep - That's where the ultimate responsibility resides.

That's why I say, unless you have a full-time Shopify-certified web developer, you'd better think twice about buying this add-on. It took me 24 hours to realize my mistake.

Absoluteprotectionsecurity

Time spent using app About 19 hours

Hard to believe this app has great ratings. The integration process is horrible! The support is horrible! Instructions on how to do things, you guessed it... horrible!

Native American Coffee Com

Call center can not start a new membership. Not workable for us.

Marcorosignoli

Forget this application. After 6 days of struggle (I even had to uninstall MailChimp due to conflicts), and after receiving 22 emails from 6 different guys (Chris, Corey and Brendin did not even know what Alan, Mohammad and Bhumi were doing on the same ticket - unbelievable), I finally uninstalled the application.

Gabbos Sports Betting

If I could give no stars I would. Nothing about this app is fully baked nor does it have any of the basics that you would expect from any business:

1. No welcome/thank you/receipt email sent to the customer when they purchase something.
2. Formatting the text in their widget is broken
3. The ability to turn off automated emails for certain items is broken
4. You are stuck with their definition of memberships. I have a 6 month and 1 day membership but can't use them because they don't have them and you can't pick your own
5. The checkout form doesn't include address or zipcode, or company logos, or credit card logos, or encryption type, just a very sketchy generic form that looks like you are phishing customer CC info
6. Their email styling is broken and doesn't save formatting
7. Can't send your customers emails through the app, you have to download them out and upload them into another app then send the emails
8. Absolutely will not give you an estimate of when the broken items will be fixed, meanwhile, I have a very cheesy unprofessional looking website waiting on them and paying monthly fees.
9. Be ready to get emails about the new apps you can sign up for when the ones they have out don't work. Maybe they could QA something before building something else half ass.

The only redeeming quality is Chis the support manager tries very hard to support a piecemeal broken product.

Zon3 Elite Fitness

Time spent using app About 2 months

I have to be honest this app needs serious upgrades. An autoresponse email and new notification would be great additions that are lacking. It also gets expensive quickly as you grow your audience. I can't justify the expense as the app is not a fully functional member manager.

Alaskan Rose Boutique

If you have Bold Membership do the install be VERY CAUTIOUS! I failed to create a backup prior to their install and deeply regret it. After the install the app did not function as advertised - no members only area was created and could not get any help as to where or how to create it. The install also created cascading effects on my theme causing the pricing to completely disappear off my site, other formatting issues occurred.

As far as support goes, expect anywhere from 24-48hrs for email response time. Every time I replied to an email a different staff person from the Bold team would respond so I'd end up having to explain again. Needless to say I worked with four people from the Bold Membership team and got nowhere. I worked with Pixel Union to help sort out the pricing issue and they responded and said Bold was overriding the pricing display and could not help.

My store had to be closed for over a week to try and hunt down the errors that the Bold Membership had caused.

Freeshippingwo

Location Sweden
Time spent using app About 1 hour

It does not work! Completely nonsense! Definitely a crap! It's just ridiculous ...