Bold Subscriptions

Bold Subscriptions

by BOLD

Top-rated Subscription Box, Recurring Orders & Payments App

Nourish Charlotte

Update: despite the response below, the Manage Subscription page on our website is still broken. We've been struggling with Bold for the past calendar year. Customer service has become increasingly insipid but unhelpful. Recently, when installing the new Turbo theme from out of the sandbox, despite being assured that we wouldn't have any trouble with Bold, we did, and it wouldn't work without some custom coded fixes from them. Took them over a week to make them, wouldn't give us a timeline or updates when we asked for them for planning purposes, etc. Now, they've broken the customer facing subscription interface, and we are once again thrown back into the queue, not hearing a peep from them and having no idea when the fix will take place. Get it together, y'all - we are quite frustrated over here.

October 13, 2020

Thank you for your feedback! I'm very sorry about any delays that you have been experiencing. The issue with the manage subscription page has been resolved and one of our Merchant Success specialists have reached out regarding the installation.

Bee Good

It's a mixed bag - They had to reinstall the app 3-4 times as it kept appearing and disappearing from our store at random - Not good. When it works it's great, but now customers are complaining that they can't use PayPal to make any subscription payments. Beware - this is not mentioned anywhere on the Bold site and may well be a deal-breaker for us...

Lifestyles Coffee

For the most part, it performs well for subscriptions, but the app lacks integration with Shopify, i currently have to pay for an additional app so customers can select either store pick up or shipping. This is a built-in FREE option for Shopify checkout but with bold the won't support it so i have to pay extra for just my subscription clients so the can choose instore pickup. Feel like this should be a simple integration but the lack of assistance from bold shows there not to interested in your wallet more so theirs for a premuim monthly fee plus the additional fee for Zapiet to allow my customers a simple selection of shipping or pick up.

ドクターボタニカルズ(Dr.Botanicals)日本オンラインショップ

Well, I can make detailed settings, but the payment screen cannot be specified in Japan. And I can't collect taxes. I told the app to fix it, but it still doesn't fix it. It does not correspond to chat with it, so the correspondence on the application side is not good.

Re-Fabbed Boutique

We have had the app for over a month now. We have had multiple issues with the app. The chat service is there but not able to resolve most issues . They have to be escalated and then may get a delayed response. We have had issues since the launch of our subscription that has still not been resolved. I would be prepared for issues if you have a more than a few subscribers.

The Dapper Dog Box

The app functions well as far as subscriptions but they have made it a nightmare to track Analytics correctly, Analytics tracking has the wrong reporting for total sales, the way they report creates incorrect data for Google ads making it a nightmare to run scusecfull ads. They also make it a nightmare to use tracking code for ShareASale and always just recommend that one starts using Refervission and do not care that we have a real affiliate program via ShareASale. Their answer for everything that doesn't report well is basically sorry but we recommend you spend thousands and request customization.

Samsara Herbs

We lost about $2000 worth in goods through this app. Their functionality has been a good help to our business and their support is great. Both of those did not take away that the integration of their payment gateways is compromised.

Through an exploit in the app, an automated attack allowed to place orders with fraudulent credit card data. Whilst the payment gateway (Authorize.net) itself flagged these payments, Bold (or the third party they use for this) did not pick up on these flags and marked all payments as successful. We only found these activities by chance.

To me this was a huge trust-breaker, given this software is using payments for the majority of it's functionality. Even worse, they were the last party to respond (after Shopify and Authorize.net) when it became clear we ran into problems.

Even though the solution works, it cost us more than it delivered in the end. Which is a very sad story.

Healthy Vitamins For You

Disappointed! Their service was good and the app is decent and all seems to work. However, you will most likely need them to install it as it happened to me, the automatic seems not to work properly.

What really disappointed me about this app though was this:

THEY DO NOT FOLLOW the settings of your payment processor. I have it to "authorize" an order and not "capture" because I want to make sure and double check my product is in stock before the payment is actually processed.

This is important because you will also avoid refund fees from your processor if you simply authorize and then when you are sure, you capture.

However, "bold" captures the payment and does not follow my merchant processor settings within shopify. As such, I have to void the order from my processor and then I am left with a paid order within shopify.

It just messes everything up. Then, I have to manually cancel the customer subscription too.

Very disappointed.

Fresh Meal Prep

1 Star because the app basically works, and another star because they have a live chat where someone answers ... BUT, it has tons of useless restrictions. Lots of little things that are easily added, but they keep funneling you to their developer requests page so they can quote you and make you pay for a feature that honestly should 100% be included, specially for the price tag.

They bill $200 a month plus 1% on transactions, which from this store is at least an additional $140+ a month in fees. Yet, you can't do simple things like the below.

- no more than 1 custom shipping option. Why even limit it to one custom option ?!
- you can't exclude shopify shipping options. That's a tick of button feature that's needed.
- for standard subscriptions, you can't track what day of the week they pay in order details within shopify. If you want notes or special tags for separate subscriptions, you're screwed.
- for build-a-box, you can't simply switch boxes within the same subscription. Your clients have to work it hard to cancel one subscription, place another order and then that works. NO Customer, wants to work this hard.
- we had to build out separate standard subscriptions just so we can control what day of the week orders process when within the same week.
- AND most important of all, ifs you run adwords, you CAN NOT track sales without requesting something custom from a partner or developer of theirs. MORE Money for something so basic.

Because they control all the pages used during checkout, you're cut at the knees to make it reflect well for your business. There are a lot more issues that are so basic, but they seem to be more inclined to be greedy for these features to be added, than be happy with the hundreds of dollars they bill you every month just for using an app that has been the same for a couple years. Try other apps before you are stuck with Bold. They should realize that a happy customer who's store can scale and have access to other simple settings will stay longer and pay those hundreds of dollars a month for longer. Instead, they want you to pay more or leave. Greedy.

March 25, 2019

Hi there, I just wanted to say thank you for all of your feedback, and I'm very sorry to hear you are unhappy with some aspects of our app. I wanted to let you know that we listen to our merchants' feedback and have shared your suggestions with the appropriate team.

We have also reached out via email to expand on your concerns individually, and are happy to share that some of the features you were looking for can be accessed when Subscriptions is integrated with our free app, Bold Cashier (the link for that can be found within our email). :-)

Please do let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

ATH

TLDR: Their email system is not set up correctly. Contacted their devs about it numerous times, but they were incompetent and did not fix it. If you're concerned about subscription emails being delivered, I'd steer away from them.

Specifically their SPF records were not set up correctly, and ASPF and ADKIM are unable to pass verification. As a result, subscription transaction emails often get flagged as spam or at a minimum have the "via boldapps.net" tag. We directed them to the appropriate docs to fix said issue, but they refused. If they cannot set up their email servers correctly, it leads me to question how they can run a subscription app. We are looking into switching to Recharge.

Previous 1