Bold Subscriptions

Bold Subscriptions

by BOLD

Subscription Box and Recurring Orders App for Shopify

ATH

TLDR: Their email system is not set up correctly. Contacted their devs about it numerous times, but they were incompetent and did not fix it. If you're concerned about subscription emails being delivered, I'd steer away from them.

Specifically their SPF records were not set up correctly, and ASPF and ADKIM are unable to pass verification. As a result, subscription transaction emails often get flagged as spam or at a minimum have the "via boldapps.net" tag. We directed them to the appropriate docs to fix said issue, but they refused. If they cannot set up their email servers correctly, it leads me to question how they can run a subscription app. We are looking into switching to Recharge.

Logicink

Customer service is good (I suggest emailing over the live chat). However, the app bugged on us on our first day of launching and while bold fixed the issue after 1 full day, they were completely unhelpful in helping us save the customers we lost due to the fault in the app.

Boltabout

This app is mediocre at best. Unfortunately, if you're looking to run a recurring subscription service you really only have two options. The unintuitive user interface, obnoxious automated emails, and lack of flexibility clearly demonstrates that there is a massive opportunity for someone else to come into this space and do this 10x better (with minimal effort).

Ruby Rockets

The app itself is good, but it made a lot of hardcoded changes to my theme files that were quite difficult to remove after I got rid of the app. Make a back-up before you download this app!!!

Choco Chips

I think I would really like bold but I can't reach anyone for help. Probably the scariest thing is if its always going to be like this.

Laundryninja

had to request install 3x Confusing interface full of ads trying to upsell other products

Subscriptions don't support product variants - so you have to create SUPER clunky options for every variant.

I have a service business, and it's already tough to work around Shopify's myopic focus on Ecommerce.

They offer a lot of customer support but ultimately I'd rather just use something else that's less aggressive

Sweet Libertine Mineral Cosmetics

Lots of issues, some of which were "fixed" but I learned that superficial changes were made that did not solve the issue. Had issues with processing payments, there was an error one month because the "system was down". Some customers had to sign up 2-3 times, never successfully doing it. Automatically takes the person through PayPal if they have anything other than the membership also in the cart, meaning the person does not sign up correctly and is not registered as a subscriber. The offer of compensation was 3 free months, which I appreciated, but it was such a continuing headache I moved to a different app and have had zero issues.

Rocket Supplements Australia

Really great concept but poorly executed. Any update of product inventory means that I get a notification that I have deleted products that are part of recurring orders. This means I have to re-add the same products to the app over and over again. The app also started adding 10% on to my orders for an unknown reason which I had to manually correct and refund credit cards etc. Support are responsive but the reply to having to re-add the same products every time I update the inventory was effectively "that's just how it works". I am actively looking for an alternative which is a shame as it could be a good app.

Q5combat

Great idea, poor execution and support.

I've run into support issues with Bold Apps in the past. They are super aggressive with soliciting reviews so you end up with a skewed feedback when looking at their apps, which is why I'm taking the time to leave an honest review.

I had a customer contact me about a problem with the app. I had him give me all the specifics and he even took screenshots of the errors, which I submitted along with my ticket to Bold a couple of days ago.

In the meantime I lost a $200+ monthly subscription since the customer can't complete the order, and I haven't' heard a peep beyond the automated we'll get back to you email.

The app itself seems ok if they can get it working, but the support is not up to par. I have however, gotten at least 4 or 5 emails offering to get free or discounted apps in exchange for leaving a review. I don't think this was what they had in mind.

Raw Dog Hawaiʻi

Yes. It is in Beta and use at your own risk. If an app is in Beta and you want people to actually be a guinea pig please don't charge for it. If you push an update, thorough unit and application testing need to be a more formal process. And when you find a bug related to a case, let the customer know what it was. They could be instrumental in testing and finding other "features" that cause them and their customers frustration and pain.

And not being able to administratively add a new subscription for a customer or edit one already in existence? How did you miss that one? "Oh, I'm sorry Ms. Customer, I can only walk you through it by screen sharing. I can't do it for you." We LOVE having those calls.

Before you unleash this on your customers, please, please consider at least twice and use something NOT in Beta. My bad, I know...