Shogun Landing Page Builder

Page Editor to Design Blogs, Product & Landing Pages

Free plan available

The MeatStick

Time spent using app About 1 year

Overall it's great for what it does. What's not so great is relying on them when shit hits the fan. Something happened with their backend that kept us from updating our pages. Took them around a month to figure out what was wrong and fix it. Provided zero compensation for the issue even though I'm paying $$ each month. Hard to say how reliable they will be in the long run.

April 25, 2022

Hi there! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and leaving us a review.

I'm glad to read that you find Shogun great, however, I am extremely sorry about the not-so-good experience you had. We strive to ensure that you have a good experience with our app and the support team.

I'll be happy to look into this further and would be reaching out via email. I'd appreciate it if you could follow up with me there.

Thanks! We appreciate your support.

Sweetan | Team Lead | Support

ExcellentSupply.com

Tried this app / did not love it. Particularly, larger font sizes were hard to make look symmetrical on mobile devices (was messy in that regard). Making different versions of a page for different screen sizes (as their tech support suggested) seems like an unnecessary effort. By comparison, Hypervisual is now working better for us... displays nicely on all screen sizes — and overall it's simpler to work with.

March 7, 2022

Edit:
I'm glad to see that you have received our messages and suggestions, we'd love to work with you on this if you would like to reach out to our team. We understand that you are happy with using Hypervisual and we respect that, but we would love to have a chance to correct your past experiences with Shogun, should you ever choose to come back and give us a try again!

Hey there! Thanks for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience with Shogun and I'd be happy to discuss the issues with you so that we can assist you better.

I understand you were facing some issues with the font sizes on the mobile view, however, I wasn't able to locate a previous conversation with our support team with respect to the issues. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We have a couple of options to ensure you can go ahead and adjust the font sizes as per your preferences on specific device views (for example, mobile) so that the text and the font work nicely across all devices.

I tried calling you, but I wasn't able to speak to you, however, I have also reached out to you via email and I would greatly appreciate it if you could reply back to us so that we can help you further.

Hoping to hear back from you soon.

Sweetan | Team Lead | Support

UberBackpacks

Location Hong Kong SAR

This is a good app and makes developing a page much easier and much quicker but it is really expensive for what it is and after the page is set it, I need to keep paying forever. Can't remove shogun after the page is set up since it breaks everything

April 8, 2021

Hey Brian,

We appreciate the kind words. I'm sorry to hear that your Shogun experience wasn't entirely positive. We can certainly understand your concerns regarding the cost.

I believe there may be a misunderstanding of how Shogun can be used with your site. Shogun is not required to be installed to keep your pages live. Shogun can be uninstalled without losing any pages created within the app. The only caveat is that the pages created within Shogun cannot be modified unless Page Builder is installed.

Charles from the support team tried to reach out to you via phone but was unable to get through. We've sent an email to you instead and we hope to hear back from you!

Kalen | Team Lead, Support

NOUVEAU LASHES Schweiz

Location Switzerland
Time spent using app About 3 years

Nice app, but extreme expensive. We hav had Shogun for a long, very long time and was deciding to remove all the content from the platform. Customers should not be a milk cow at all. Sorry to be so clear, but we was a customer since almost the beginning.

October 26, 2020

Hi Hanspeter, thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us a review with your honest feedback - we appreciate the honest feedback as it helps us know where we might be going in the right direction and course correct.

I am sorry to hear that you feel that our prices are quite high - just a note, these prices have only increased slightly over the three years that you have been with Shogun - you were on one of our deprecated plans at $79/mo, we are happy to honour this price on our Measure plan which is currently $99/mo.

I understand that you are unhappy regarding the inability for support to copy your pages - however, while we did deprecate our old, unreliable page copying service in favour of a much better self-serve system called Sync that's available on our Measure plan. Our support team do not have the ability to use the manual page copying feature anymore. Once your stores are on the correct plans, you will be able to sync content between the stores whenever you wish.

Again I would like to thank you for the feedback that you have provided for us and look forward to helping resolve this negative experience with my colleague James. We do really appreciate your loyalty with Shogun and hope that we can resolve this in a manner that works for you.

Karl | Team Lead, Technical Support

Hire Yourself Academy

I tried, but I just couldn't get over the fact that this cost me more than my Shopify subscription itself. It's easier to use than Pagefly but I didn't try Gem Pages, so i can't speak to how it compares there. It's less expensive than enterprise level apps like Unbounce and Instapages and it's the same price as LeadPages, but you'd be better off using another drag and drop website builder and making it a subdomain of your existing site in my opinion. Unless you're specifically trying to edit your product pages layout, in which case, maybe just pay for a premium theme one time vs getting a recurring subscription at this price tier. Good luck out there!

September 3, 2020

Hey Angelyn,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience. We can certainly understand your concerns regarding the price. We know that now more than ever, business costs have to be a consideration and we can certainly appreciate the need to cut back on the price of business operations.

It sounds like you found Shogun relatively easy to use, it's really just the price that caused your experience to be less than stellar. In case you were not aware, the subscription cost is only necessary as long as you need to maintain your pages while using Shogun Page Builder. If you were to build up a few pages and you felt that you no longer needed to change them for an extended period of time, you could uninstall Shogun and those pages would remain. The only exception to this rule would be if you've added form boxes to your pages. We cannot continue to send form data per Shopify's GDPR guidelines.

We have reached out to you via email and are also willing to jump on a call if we an help at all :)

Thanks for your feedback and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

ShredLights

Time spent using app Over 3 years

Good for VERY basic web development. If you are looking to make an About Us page with some more customization than Shopify offers this app is great. If you are looking to use Shogun to work with product pages then expect extremely slow page load times, very slow editing speeds if you have a moderate amount of elements on one page, and many random errors that are just glitches from the system. The A/B testing feature would be great if it actually worked but it hasn't been useful at all in seeing which pages result in higher sales. This app is almost good but after spending 100+ hours working with it I am searching for a more robust solution as I'm sick of dealing with the shortcomings of Shogun.

September 3, 2020

Hi Drew & Team,

Thank you for your review and your feedback - I'm sorry to hear that your positive experience has turned into a negative experience with Shogun. I hope that we can help you resolve any issues that you are having with the app. My colleague Justine has also reached out to you via email.

I do want to start off by thanking you for your kind words about the app. I'm glad to hear that you found Shogun useful in that sense.

Regarding your issues - in relation to the slow page load times, there are a lot of factors that go into this. Shogun is a small part of the overall loading of your page, this would include your theme components, other third-party apps and any custom code that you have. Similar to creating a page without Shogun, the more content you add to a page the longer the page will take to load - Justine has reached out with some tips and information. We take measures to improve page load speed, such as deferring scripts and lazy loading your images.

Inside the editor, there may also be slowness if there are a large number of elements as the editor must keep track of all of these elements, as well as additional information regarding their state and changes. We are aware that we have room to improve there and hope to do so in the future.

We would love to hear more about the errors that you are experiencing. Would you mind sharing more information on these? The team should be able to help resolve anything that you are experiencing with the app.

Finally, regarding the issues that A/B testing is giving you - would you mind sending us over feedback about that too? Would love to see if we can resolve these issues for you and help you understand the data better.

We really appreciate any feedback that you can give us regarding the issues that you are having so that we can help you, and we can pass on feedback to the appropriate teams for future improvement. We welcome all feedback that you may have about the app.

If you could respond to Justine, or reach out directly at support@getshogun.com we would love to help.

Karl | Team Lead, Technical Support

Kurafuchi

Location France

*** Oct 10 update *** Edited to add a star because I received a full refund, but the developer’s reply is misleading. I can certify that the page format gets lost as soon as you remove the app, without having touched the page at all after uninstalling. I simply refreshed the live page on my site and saw it lose all the formatting at once.
Still do not recommend the app, even though the support seems reactive. The price is ridiculously high and the plan is to get people stuck paying forever for something that could be done as a one-shot for the price of a single month charge. Unless you create new pages very often, it’s not worth it.
----

Here’s the only important thing you should know : if you create any content using this app, you will be stuck paying 40$ or more each month, FOREVER.

If you delete the app, you'll lose all the formatting because it has its own coding format which only works as long as you’re paying. That is, of course, not made clear at all in the app info nor the Help pages.

October 7, 2019

Hello Sarah- sorry to hear about the frustration. I reached out via phone and Jana emailed you. You do get to keep your pages, even when you uninstall Shogun. However, if you make a change to the page in Shopify's editor, their editor overrides Shogun, and this can break the page. Unfortunately we have no control over this. If you leave the page as it, it will stay live, forever. You can reinstall anytime to edit. Happy to issue a full refund for your inconvenience. We also reset your free trial period. If you login and re-publish your page, it will fix it. Hope you had a good weekend. - Nick (Cofounder, Shogun)

Cognitive Surplus

This quote is from Shogun's shopify FAQ page:

"Although there is not yet a way to "apply to all", and set this new page layout as your Shopify product page layout for all your pages, this helps you edit your existing Shopify product pages for custom page layouts."

read this as, if you want to use shogun to edit your product's page layout -- you need to edit each product, one at a time. This also includes category pages etc. This app treats your store as a huge array of individual pages that you need to edit individually. Great tool for making custom one off pages. Terrible if you are hoping to use this to build a custom theme. -4 Stars because they got my hopes up. +1 star because of the free trial.

July 2, 2019

Hey Geoff- sorry to hear you had a bad experience here. We called and emailed to explain. For clarification, we actually built this feature in the way you want (making the product page a "master page template") - but the only way to engineer it leaves a heavy footprint on the theme files. We always prioritize minimal impact on code so that (1) there are less opportunities for code conflicts and (2) in case you ever want to part ways with us, your theme files are clean. Happy to issue a refund here since we didn't meet your expectations. Thank you for being considerate. - Nick (Cofounder, Shogun)

SooSmooth

Location Denmark
Time spent using app About 2 hours

I tried to use this app, but it definitely disappointed me. Very bad drag and drop tool that i've used for a couple of hours without finishing a single element as i'd like...

March 18, 2019

Hello Viktor- Very sorry to hear that your experience was disappointing. We reached out immediately after this, and you refused to accept our help. If you change your mind, please feel free to reach back out to support@getshogun.com . We have a 24/7 support team based in USA, UK, India, Australia and Jamaica. Thank you. - Nick (Cofounder, Chief Product Officer)

The Wrap Life

I dont understand all the high praises for this app. If you're designing something for mobile and desktop, it's very difficult to use. There no logic or way of knowing if you do one thing, it'll impact the layout of another on a different screen. Spent hours fumbling around hoping to get lucky. Nothing seemed to work. Deleted it.

March 18, 2019

Nnenna- hope all has been well. We reached out a few times, but I think we ultimately weren't able to get in touch. I TOTALLY feel your pain here. The screen settings feature in Shogun is helpful for creating experiences unique to screen size, but we need more powerful screen specific controls. Happy to say that we are working on that now, and it will be out soon. You can reach out to support@getshogun.com for a free re-trial. Ping us anytime if you need help. Thank you - Nick (Cofounder, Chief Product Officer)

Previous 1