Point of Sale

Point of Sale

by Shopify

Unify online and in-person sales.

PNW Journey

We preferred the old app to this one as it had far more features and was easy to use. Plus, it was free. This new version looks slick, but is ultimately unintuitive and vastly lacking in features if you don't pay the exorbitant price for a Pro plan. We do most of our business online and can't justify the Pro plan cost. It's disappointing to have so many features missing for the in-store transactions we do have. Most notably, the ability to do exchanges.

One Fine Secret

It does the simple POS work but not sure if it's worth ~$90 charge per month. I recently upgraded to the Pro POS to use a few more functions but if possible, I want to pay for the chargeable functions that I actually use. One critical downside of this app is the search function. The search result is too broad and to find something specific, you need to type the exact product name word by word. If you need to rely on the manual search on POS other than using the scanner, then this app will be very annoying. I don't recommend this to those users but ok for those who want the simple POS functions. Overall, too expensive for what it is.

Locals Surf Shop

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT ALL "PRO" FEATURES SHOULD BE FEATURED ON THE "BASIC" POS. AS MUCH AS I ENJOYED THE EASE OF EXCHANGES ON "PRO" I SWITCHED BACK TO "BASIC". I WILL NOT PAY $90 A MONTH FOR EXCHANGES. ANOTHER FEATURE THAT SHOULD BE IN "BASIC" IS PUTTING A TRANSACTION OF HOLD. I CAN GET TO THE ANALYTICS I NEED AT ANY TIME OFF THE SHOPIFY APP... I DON'T NEED MY EMPLOYEES TO HAVE ACCESS AT THE REGISTER. I LOVE SHOPIFY, BUT IT WAS I LITTLE BIT OF A LET DOWN THAT YOU GUYS TRIED TO CHARGE SO MUCH FOR THESE "UP GRADES" THAT SHOULD BE REGULAR FEATURES OF ANY "POS" SYSTEM. BEST -JIMMY

Venus Envy

We switched to Shopify POS so that we could have more cohesive inventory and data management between our online store and brick and mortar. It's okay, but lacking in some significant areas. Pros: -Fairly intuitive to use/teach staff
-Easy search
-Stocky is overall a good inventory management system, despite a few small complaints Cons:
-No function to honour Status Cards/Tax Exemptions in Canada (which I believe may be illegal in Ontario)
-Unable to edit any product details/add bar codes/adjust stock/change price etc. inside the POS app, which makes a lot more work for managers and creates many issues/errors
-I was told I would have dedicated "set-up support" but it seems that that person's job was just to email me links and direct me to the general help line
-Support staff are unevenly trained - a few times I've called with a specific question and received multiple different answers from different people
-No "Void" function and returns/exchanges are unnecessarily complicated Overall, it doesn't feel like there were many people consulted who actually work in retail. It would be a lot more convenient to stay with Shopify, so I hope it improves.

Arova Kitchens & Bathrooms

The campaign has talked enough about the new features of this soon-to-pay brand new POS pro.

Here's something I found that need to be fixed before we are actually charged.

The NEW POS PRO doesn't allow you to add shipping in a quote. Once you add a shipping, you are only allowed to either 'go back' or to 'checkout'.

The NEW POS PRO doesn't show correct staff who sent out the quote. The app requires an account with full permission to sign in and then a staff with restricted permission to log in with their pin. Once a quote is sent out by a staff without full permission, the quote is always linked to the account owner. Once customer pays the quote online, the system attributes the sales to the account owner instead of the staff who actually sent out the quote, causing report issues.

JAX Party Supply and Rental

With shopify being so popular we can't understand how they even get some of the basics incorrect. The POS receipt is a mess for most part. Very limited customization options. Keeps printing city, county, state tax breakdowns all the time instead of a single tax line. Keeps printing credit card processing information at the bottom. Missing , city , state and zip code in address. Contacting support is of no use. Hardware that works on ipad, won;t work on android and if they work, the work differently and have different problems. Even simple things like option to have printed pos receipt customized like email receipt template customization is lacking.

Kitchen Store & More

8/23 Update: Still rating 2 stars due to the amount of development needed. We are functioning, but I would not use this POS if it were not for the website and gift registry ap we use. Staff permissions still needs a significant overhaul. I am happy to say that the receipts have improved. Still no customization option for me as the user, but the developers have removed the "double name" issue. Our largest issue after two months of use though is the return/exchange issue. We still have a separate "old" register to process returns as shopify does not offer a "real world" brick and motar solution for returns/exchanges. The ap needs a manager override return options that allows a "custom return." Inventory can be adjusted after the fact, but it is just not realistic to hunt for a previous order or an order that was processed prior to using shopify. The return option offered may work for brand new businesses who are starting fresh with e-commerce, but it is not functional for established brick and motar expanding to ecommerce. Looking forward to a solution on this major oversight.

June 2020: The POS app has A LOT of room for development such as staff permissions. I should be able to limit who can process a return/refund/exchange or limit the type of discount a staff member can provide. But the top of the list is the physical receipts. I need better customization options. Customers are confused by the way taxes are broken out. My logo which include my store name is top of the receipt to be followed by the same store name that I can't remove is weird. And the receipts are two miles long because I can't edit the font size in the header or footer where I need to list my store's return policy.

Old City Canning Co.

Severely lacks some key functions. Like the ability to program in discounts. Or conditional pricing. The only true benefit is linking to the online store and tracking inventory and sales across sales channels. Otherwise, I'd be using Square, no doubt.

Cate's Concepts, LLC

I'm extremely frustrated with this app. For a year now I keep getting told that it will shortly support Automatic BOGO. A core of my in person business is BOGO and no support. This is not hard to code. It appears they just don't care.

My Christmas

We had been very happy with this app in previous seasons. Our store opened for the new season last week and unfortunately there have been so many issues. My staff have spent hours trying to connect the receipt printer (a known issue I found out later from the shopify forums), and updated all apps and iPads, and finally got the printers working on Thursday to have them stop working on Sunday. We have also found the scanners to work/stop working throughout these 3 days. Finally, we use to open and close a shift on the till but the ability to do this seems to have disappeared and we are not sure why. During this time we have made a call to Shopify (and received some help but not enough to rectify the printer issue) and also sent an email to support and received some assistance but not enough to maintain the printers working. (At this stage we have only requested support for the printer problems, so cannot speak to Shopify's support for the other issues) I am a Shopify fan but am disappointed and concerned about this apps stability moving forward.

Previous 1