For over 5 weeks now I go back and forth with many many emails being sent to implement Recharge with my custom bought theme. The support was kind of fast 1-2 days reply time - but the answers weren't always helping 100%. Especially with requesting customization of any kind to make this app work like I wished - but I understand that policy. They were really helpful in providing articles to their knowledge base (which I have read for hours and days now) and finally resolved an issue I had with currency conversion, where the subscription widgdet didn't show properly. AMAZING! So Kudos for the customer service! :)
We are not live yet, but so far everything seems to work for now. I love the integrations with so many other apps. Im also using Goaffpro for Affiliate marketing - The PRO is that coupon codes that are created in Goaffpro only automatically sync with Recharge - no other Subscription Service App here on Shopify. But I expected much more from the leading company for subscriptions on Shopfify with 60$ a month + percentage on sales.
Features that are missing and should be added/improved in my opinion:
- Custom Tags: Why is that not possible? They only Tag customers with 3 of their predefined tags!!
I have several subscription plans that I want to give customers access based on their tags on our shop. I have to spent 15$-40$ dollars per month more for "Customer Tagger" to be able to custom tag a certain customer that buys a specific subscription product. This tag should automatically be removed if the subscription is canceled. Paywhirl has that feature implemented. Why not Recharge?
- The UI of the App: is not very clean and not very straight forward, but I got used to it after several days. Too many clicks to reach what you are looking for (right upper corner, normal menu, tab menus in menus...) But thats just my opinion in 2020..
- Checkout Page: Very basic design - You can change some sentences with their Translation function and Css. But if you are using a workflow for a plan that starts with lets say 50€ and then all the recurring months it should be 5€. There is no way to show that amount correctly in the order summary. You have to use several workarounds (rename your product) to let the customer know, what they really have to pay the next month when they subscribe. Doesnt look very trustworthy to new potential customers on your shop...
- Thank you Page: More than basic - Yes you can add html. No options to upsell or add a download link/button for our digital products, where it would be placed to be user friendly. You can only add html to the very bottom of the page in the footer.
- Taxes: In germany because of Covid my shop will work with 16%. In 2021 it will go back to 19%. Everytime I update the taxes in my shop - I have to manually write them a message?!? Why is this not synced automatically?
- Membership Area: Their knowledge base kind of walks you through this. Im pretty decent with coding - but this is a nightmare for someone that doesn't know any code... I didnt get it to work, but used some own customizations.
For a small business that is just starting out this really is a lot of money. Considering I also have to buy another third party app to get all the functions I need that I expected to get from the top subscription app here on Shopify. Im a little bit dissapointed now, thats why I wrote my review.
Because of all the integrations, Goaffpro Affiliates Coupon Sync, nice customer support and my hope that I can rely on everything really working when we go live I will probably still go with Recharge. I hope this feedback helps to improve the app in the future.
Looking forward to a healthy and good business relationship.