Theme Updater

Theme Updater

by Out of the Sandbox

Keep your premium theme up to date

Muses Miscellany

Update: I'm upgrading my rating to 2 stars because after writing my original review, tech support helped me update my theme. If it works correctly the next time I try to update, then I'll upgrade it to a three. When the app does work, it works well. (Although the default file name isn't the actual version you're upgrading to, it's whatever version you already have plus the current date. So the UI is oddly inaccurate, which definitely doesn't help if the app hasn't been working correctly so you're already frustrated.)
I used the paid version of this app for awhile and was able to update my theme two or three times. Then in early June it stopped working correctly. I experienced multiple problems just getting to the update screen. Then when I finally was able to get there, the only option I got was to "update" to the theme version I'm currently using (7.0.5). I spent the month in a fruitless back and forth with OOTS tech support to resolve this problem. I tried using this app on three different computers (MacBook Pro, iMac, HP laptop) and five different browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE). I gave OOTS tech support access to my Shopify account to try to fix the problem, and after a cursory go at it, they suggested that I upgrade my OS and browser to the most recent version. So I did that, even though it might have meant that some of my software and printer might no longer work. And guess what? Problem not solved. At that point, they finally admitted that they were having some problems with the Theme Updater app and browser cookies. They said they hoped to have it resolved soon. It still wasn't working by early August, so I uninstalled the app. Now that it's the end of Sept., I decided to try it again in the hopes of being able to finally update my theme. But nope, same problem. The fact that I actually paid for several months of this app without being able to use it is ridiculous. And that it still doesn't work is more ridiculous. As much as I sometimes hate cable/internet companies, at least when your service isn't working they refund your money. Not so with OOTS.

Bunbury

Like many others not happy this app is going from free to paid with no details on how to avoid being charged. This app never worked for me due to my custom code.

Meraki Journey

We have used this app once and it worked well but it just sits there majority of the year. Now that they are charging $9/month for this app we will be deleting it. This isnt something constantly used that we can justify paying them for especially for something that should be free with the theme.

Elvis & Kresse

This app is a poison chalice... use it at your peril. In theory it is a great idea but it is poorly executed. When you update the theme you will also have to update your templates if you have made any customizations at all, quite a timely and complicated process so you will probably have to pay an expert to do it for you. However, you will not see if the update is any good until after you have paid the expert. We updated and were not able to use the update because of the number of bugs making our site look poor and unprofessional. You then have to wait for the next theme update to be released and then go through the same process of updating your templates and paying an expert all over again. The chances of there being any more bugs are high, if you look at the Out-of-the-Sandbox change logs they are littered with "bug fixes" for previous updates. It would appear that they are releasing the updates without doing the appropriate checks to make sure that they are robust.

Crik Nutrition

Cool idea, but seems to endless mindless errors.
Throws out an error at a specific location that doesn't even have code at it.

I search through and find the code it's referring to and do the suggested 'fix' (which doesn't make sense in the first place) and it repeats a similar error elsewhere.

I've done some custom stuff but nothing extreme or even related to where the errors are.... Going to uninstall completely and have to do it the old fashioned manual way. Was looking forward to pulling my hair out anyway for the long weekend :D

Happy Dog Food 2

I have used the updater app only twice, and twice was just too much, I even got the pro version, which by the way doesn't give you anything more other than an email saying there is an update. I am sure many others who use shopify also use other apps and if you do you will find that the theme updater does not bring the custom code from those other apps over!!!

I have spent two weeks working with the other apps support just to get the theme to work as my live store.

I won't install an update again unless it is a critical update!

BTW, support is slow slow slow to respond, and much of the time it seems like an automated message with the same info, don't customize your theme if you want the theme updater to work!

Cavemanevolution2

I'm a big fan of the out of the sandbox themes. Great looking and the Turbo theme is great.

If you're thinking about getting the theme updater app here's a very important note. The theme updater will NOT carry over the code from installed apps. If you have a handful of apps on your site that are integrated with the theme each app will have to be reinstalled.

We would love to update our theme but we have a handful of apps that would have to be reinstalled and coded again by our app partners. This could cause some issues.