Theme Updater

Theme Updater

by Out of the Sandbox

Keep your premium theme up to date

Gold BJJ

Really obnoxious bait-and-switch money grab. I've bought several themes from this company in the past but won't do business with them in the future, and am on the hunt for a new theme now.

Nextrino

BirdRock Baby

RodeoH

Wow. I'm shocked ... I haven't even used this yet. No idea we were being billed. Surprise, surprise! Why not just do a once a year update and charge a flat fee of $150. That's actually reasonable instead of continually updating ... what a mess.

The Bearded Mack Grooming CO

I recently purchased the Parallax theme and just about have my store set up to open and now I get an email saying to automatically update the theme is now $9 per month. I honestly wish this would have happened sooner so I would have purchased a theme from a different provider.

Inikama

Same as others I will be uninstalling. The frequency in which major updates are released stand in no relation to the pricing. In case you got many customizations you will have to do most manually anyway so there is no sense in paying for it.

Glanzberg - Passion Wein

Last year in July 2018 I rated with 5 stars as you can see at the end of this now updated review. Changing to three stars now.

The numerous negative reviews of the last two days clearly show the displeasure of the users about the upcoming pricing model of OOTS for the Theme Updater App. And I can only agree as I’m angry as well.

While many of the reviewers mentioned technical issues with the Theme Updater App I can only report positive things from my experiences with two shops (both with the Turbo Theme). So far all updates with the free basic version of the app have worked without any problems at all.

But now to pay a monthly fee although there is an update available only each two or three months is nonsense in my view.
Anyway, also here it’s to dare, that it is possible to subscribe the moment if you want to do an update and then cancel the update immediately afterwards. So if you want to update your theme for example only two or three times a year, you can simply subscribe for two to three times a year for 30 days each! Instead of $108 you can end up with $18 or $27 per year. Due to this flexibility, my rating is not quite as negative.

But in one point I agree with most other users: Your support is regularily unsatisfactory. As already mentioned by other reviewers the friendly advice to contact one of your development partners seems unfortunately to be part of your standard procedure.

And even worse, I think that OOTS doesn't have any plan to support Shopify's recent possibility to state base prices. At least that’s the statement I received from the support. And this is beyond doubt not understandable, as base prices in Germany and many other European countries are mandatory by legal terms for numerous product types. It is incomprehensible that OOTS does not update the topics here accordingly and thus deliberately avoids a massive business potential in Europe.

Dear OOTS Team; you have mega cool themes, a fantastic Theme Updater App ... but the list of negative points is getting longer. The unsatisfactory support, the refusal to support this basic functionality of base prices, is now followed by a questionable licensing policy.
Too bad .... With thoughtful greetings from Germany.

---

Just fyi my former 5* rating from July 2018 before I made some negative experiences with the OOTS support and at a time while Updater Theme was fro free.

Super valuable App! Had our store running on Turbo theme v3.0.3 and performed upgrade to latest v.3.1.0 half an hour ago. Whole process of applying a new version incl. adoption of our tweaks and customization changes took approx 3-4 minutes. Afterwards, a manual adoption of language files was required as outlined in the app description. So, uploaded my used v.3.0.3 language files to TextWrangler editor and compared these two files to the v3.1.0 default files. Review of differences took another 5 minutes including applying required additions to new v3.1.0 language files. Overall, whole upgrade process done in less then 10 minutes. Couldn't be easier! Great app, OOTS-team.
Greetings from Germany.

Sarah's Treats & Treasures

Seems I am not the only one, maybe this company should take a hint!!

Not that great, first I did pay lots of money for a simplistic theme, then they want to charge for an update that is automatic, but of course does not include our customized portions of the theme? Seriously, then they sent an e-mail today letting me know that they will be increasing their Free plan... to $9 a month??! Holy crap that's astronomical for what the app is, so byeee. I will just make my own updater app the only appeal was the free part, then I just copy and paste the custom sections, being that the theme is updated so often I feel the theme is super buggy as well and have had to fix a lot of issues with it in the past. Also a word of advice is update the thing like once every 2 months or more, having to update a theme on a larger site like every 2 weeks to a month is ridiculous.

Dynamic Rescue Systems

A good idea when it came out, though it was only partially helpful for complex customizations that had been added to the default themes.

Unfortunately, now that even the basic version is to be a monthly subscription, we'll be deleting and finding other options.

Halo Bottle Ltd

Literally nothing happens, it does not function when I try to open the app. Deleted and reinstalled with the same result. Disappointing.
UPDATE: I believe this was my cookie settings as I tried on another browser and it updated ok. Review changed from 1 to 4 stars.