Theme Updater

Theme Updater

by Out of the Sandbox

Keep your premium theme up to date

Sarah's Treats & Treasures

Seems I am not the only one, maybe this company should take a hint!!

Not that great, first I did pay lots of money for a simplistic theme, then they want to charge for an update that is automatic, but of course does not include our customized portions of the theme? Seriously, then they sent an e-mail today letting me know that they will be increasing their Free plan... to $9 a month??! Holy crap that's astronomical for what the app is, so byeee. I will just make my own updater app the only appeal was the free part, then I just copy and paste the custom sections, being that the theme is updated so often I feel the theme is super buggy as well and have had to fix a lot of issues with it in the past. Also a word of advice is update the thing like once every 2 months or more, having to update a theme on a larger site like every 2 weeks to a month is ridiculous.

Dynamic Rescue Systems

A good idea when it came out, though it was only partially helpful for complex customizations that had been added to the default themes.

Unfortunately, now that even the basic version is to be a monthly subscription, we'll be deleting and finding other options.

Halo Bottle Ltd

Literally nothing happens, it does not function when I try to open the app. Deleted and reinstalled with the same result. Disappointing.

THE HOSIERY BOX

Very poor service and underhand fees - simply read the reviews. The app doesn't work very well, and now a greedy developer wants to charge over $100 a year (forever) for an app to update a couple of lines of code. Their themes are full of bugs, support is very slow (at times even leaving bugs in the code - I'm looking at you 'Artisan'), and now they are trying to sneakily charge for something that was advertised as part of their theme purchase. I doubt this is acceptable practice, or legal, in most countries.

We have already had to change two Out of the Sandbox themes due to bugs in their software, and now they do this. If I were them, I would be very embarrassed as to how they treat long standing customers.

The most insulting thing is the email we were sent, spinning this charge as an 'opportunity'. Please don't patronize us with PR, you are simply milking merchants for all you can get before moving on.

Hello The Hosiery Box,
We appreciate your honest feedback - it is true the Theme Updater App will soon have a number of flexible subscription options available, required to use the tool to automatically configure your updated theme, and access advanced perks (like our new Priority Support feature in the Pro Plan).

However, updated theme files and support will continue to be FREE, as we continue to improve our themes with new features and bug fixes; with these updated theme files, the normal process of updating a Shopify theme can be followed, which does not require use of the app.

We have been working hard on improving and maintaining the Theme Updater App, adding new features and support for more themes, and want to keep offering you the time-saving convenience of updating without needing to reconfigure your settings. We understand your grievance with the change in pricing, and hope the subscriptions options we're offering line up with how you value the app, so we can continue to offer you the fastest updating experience possible.

Sincerely,
- The Out of the Sandbox Team

MissieMay

We run three stores using the Turbo Theme from Out of the Sandbox - and are just about to launch our fourth. The theme was chosen to a large extent because of this app to update our themes. Now, the developer wants to charge an extra $108 per store, per year - meaning they expect us to pay $432 per year just to update a few lines of code once a year.

This is a perfect example of how to trap your clients and then blackmail them. Obviously, we are changing themes now for store number four, and then slowly changing the other themes over the coming twelve months.

The irony is that BECAUSE they now charge for this app, there is no benefit to staying with Out of the Sandbox for any of their themes. Considering the high costs of their themes, this is slightly mercenary move by Out of the Sandbox, and would appear contrary to their stated aims of helping store owners.

If this is how a business is managed, and based on 20 years of ecommerce, I would recommend not using the themes or apps of Out of the Sandbox.

Hello MissieMay,
Thanks for sending this along, we appreciate your input on the upcoming changes - we're happy to hear you've used Turbo for multiple stores, but regret to hear the upcoming changes have come across this way.

Rest assured, updated theme files will continue to be FREE, so you can continue to take advantage of improvements we're making to the theme for all your shops.

We understand that updating a Shopify theme by uploading the updated version and reconfiguring the settings can be time consuming, so we have worked to develop and maintain this tool to make this process easier and faster. While using the Theme Updater App is the preferred method to update a theme for many of our merchants, we do not intend to trap you into using the app if you do not value it. You will not be signed up for a subscription automatically without opting-in.

We sincerely hope you continue to use the Turbo theme for your three shops, and consider it for the fourth. Turbo's performance features and robust set of theme settings/features are not found in many other themes, and while we know the change in price isn't well-received, the Theme Updater App provides a unique method to speed up the updating process, which is otherwise conducted manually for any other Shopify theme (other than Out of the Sandbox and Pixel Union themes). We want to continue to offer you this value, along with exclusive perks we've added to the app, and we hope you'll consider one of our flexible subscription options.

Best regards,
-The Out of the Sandbox Team

danformshoesvt

A premium theme should not require an additional $9 per month to upgrade the few times per year that is necessary. This will not build good will for Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union. I imagine this will also impact reviews of their themes directly. I like Empire but would not recommend it to others given this recent sheisty maneuver.

Hello danformshoesvt,
Thanks for sending these remarks; we take your input to heart.

It is true that periodic updates are a necessary part of using a theme, as the theme is updated to include new features and improvements. However, you are not required to use the Theme Updater App to update your theme - updated theme files with new features and improvements will continue to be available for free, as they are for all Shopify themes.

You can optionally use the Theme Updater App when an update is released to retain your previous setting configurations and transfer some code customizations, to make the updating process faster and easier. This is accomplished through the app's unique functionality that we continue to develop and maintain. To take advantage of these updating benefits, along with new and exciting features such as Priority Support (available in the Pro Plan), we'll have several flexible subscription options to choose from.

But, rest assured, the normal Shopify theme updating process will continue to be possible for your premium theme, and the updated theme files will continue to be available for free.

Sincerely,
-The Out of the Sandbox Team

Jimaye

Just received a message that they are now charging for this app even after we paid so much for the theme. It doesn't make sense to pay $108 for something we use 2 times a year. I will most likely move to another theme once my theme becomes too out of date.

Catholically

Stay away from Out of the Sandbox themes. First you pay dearly for the theme, then if you want to apply the theme upgrades you will have to pay 9$ a month for a service that you will use 2/3 times in a year.
But what is your choice? None. Because to update the theme manually it's a nightmare. I am going to find a better theme that doesn't charge me for updates. I am not happy.

Imagery Socks

They just notified that they moved this to a paid app. 100+ a year to keep their app updated on top of what you pay for the theme.

ANTI-POP.CULT. | Art Unique

Out Of The Sandbox emailed to say the Free or Basic Plan would automatically increase to $9 a month but failed to give a date when this would start. I do not want to be charged for something that a. used to be free and b. I only use maybe once or twice a year. Uninstalled.

Previous 1 3