Keep your theme up to date
Upgrade to the latest version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme to take advantage of new features & bug fixes.
Preserve theme settings
Automatically move over your current theme settings so that you don’t have to reconfigure them.
Advanced upgrade tools
Pro subscribers get info on advanced code customizations that may need to be moved over manually by the store owner or a developer.
About Theme Updater
About Theme Updater
A bit of background: Shopify does not currently provide an easy way to update any themes when a new version of it is released.
You would normally need to obtain, then upload, a new zip file, then reconfigure all your theme settings again — including resetting all of your colors, typography, re-insert all your photos, text content and more.
The Shopify Theme Updater app lets you not only upgrade to the latest available version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme, without losing any of your configured theme settings. In some cases, it may even be able to carry over basic customizations that you or your developer have made directly to the theme code.
- Update your theme to the most recent version, quickly and easily
- Use the free app to update any time
Pro plan with more features
- Access to exclusive features
- Detailed information about any custom code modifications that the app spotted in your theme that will need to be moved over manually by you or your developer
- Email notifications when a new version of your theme is available
- Support for copying over language files
Is this app right for me?
The Theme Updater App is a great fit that should save you time and ensure you always have the latest and greatest version of the theme in your shop if you these apply:
- You have purchased a valid license for an Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme
- You have registered your theme
- You have configured your shop using the Theme Editor
- You have little to no custom code edits or additions
Stores with advanced customizations
If you or your developer have made extensive or complex customizations directly to the theme files then these customizations will need to be manually transferred to the updated theme.
How it works
- Install the app (no changes will be made to your code yet)
- Access the app dashboard to see if your theme needs updated
- When you're ready, click "Update" to update your theme
- The app does not affect your live store or make modifications to your existing theme code
- Instead, the app installs an unpublished copy of the latest version of your theme
- You should then preview and thoroughly test the new unpublished theme
- You should consider keeping the old version on your store or downloading a backup
- When you have fully tested your store and you're ready to go live with the new version, click "Publish" to switch over to the new version
- If you find an issue with the new version even after publishing it, you can revert back to the old version
Which Shopify Themes are supported?
All Out of the Sandbox and Pixel Union 'Section Based' themes are supported.
- Out of the Sandbox Shopify Themes,
- Pixel Union Shopify Themes
Keep your theme up to date
Move over theme settings automatically — no more manual updating
Basic custom code is often able to be transferred
Transfers language files
Email notifications for new releases
View customizations that you or your developer need to move manually
* All charges are billed in USD. Recurring charges, including monthly or usage-based charges, are billed every 30 days.
Overall rating Based on 88 reviews
Most recent reviews
Kalamazoo Candle Company
I had no problems with this app. Out of the Sandbox has wonderful customer service and I had quick and friendly help every time I had questions or a problem.
Hi Kalamazoo Candle Company,
Thanks for leaving a review! We’re pleased to hear that both the Updater App and our Support team were helpful and effective.
Welburn Gourd Farm
When you run a Shopify store with dozens of apps, anything you can do to simply the updating process is important. Thankfully, this Theme Updater takes a lot of the heavy lifting out of keeping our store up to date. Even better is that Out Of The Sandbox works hard to keep our theme updated and they are always adding new functionality to our store, which is very much appreciated. Highly recommend this app!
Hi Welburn Gourd Farm!
Thanks so much for your review! We're glad to hear that the Theme Updater App has been both beneficial and a time-saver during the updating process.
Avoid these guys. Paid £300 for the turbo theme and it’s broken. The dymanic shopping buttons can’t be relied upon and only work 20% of the time and now I’m getting loads of errors from google because the product schema is not correct. An issue that seems to be badly affecting all their customers yet they haven’t even updated the theme to resolve this.
Hi babita UK!
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your theme! If you have any questions or problems using your theme, our Support team is more than happy to help out! You can get in touch with us here: https://help.outofthesandbox.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and one of our support agents will be able to lend a hand!
We try our best to respond to all tickets within 24 hours (Monday - Friday).
The 'Dynamic Checkout Buttons' are actually controlled by Shopify's platform! If you're experiencing issues with these, we recommend getting in touch with a Shopify Guru. They can be reached 24/7 here: https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/contact