Keep your theme up to date
Upgrade to the latest version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme to take advantage of new features & bug fixes.
Preserve theme settings
Automatically move over your current theme settings so that you don’t have to reconfigure them.
Priority Theme Support
Pro subscribers receive priority ticket based support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions or issues.
About Theme Updater
About Theme Updater
A bit of background: Shopify does not currently provide an easy way to update any themes when a new version of it is released.
You would normally need to obtain, then upload, a new zip file, then reconfigure all your theme settings again — including resetting all of your colors, typography, re-insert all your photos, text content and more.
The Shopify Theme Updater app lets you not only upgrade to the latest available version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme, without losing any of your configured theme settings. In some cases, it may even be able to carry over basic customizations that you or your developer have made directly to the theme code.
- Update your theme to the most recent version, quickly and easily
- Use the free app to update any time
Pro plan with more features
- Prioritized ticket based theme support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions
- Detailed information about any custom code modifications that the app spotted in your theme that will need to be moved over manually by you or your developer
- Email notifications when a new version of your theme is available
- Support for copying over language files
Is this app right for me?
The Theme Updater App is a great fit that should save you time and ensure you always have the latest and greatest version of the theme in your shop if you these apply:
- You have purchased a valid license for an Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme
- You have registered your theme
- You have configured your shop using the Theme Editor
- You have little to no custom code edits or additions
Stores with advanced customizations
If you or your developer have made extensive or complex customizations directly to the theme files then these customizations will need to be manually transferred to the updated theme.
How it works
- Install the app (no changes will be made to your code yet)
- Access the app dashboard to see if your theme needs updated
- When you're ready, click "Update" to update your theme
- The app does not affect your live store or make modifications to your existing theme code
- Instead, the app installs an unpublished copy of the latest version of your theme
- You should then preview and thoroughly test the new unpublished theme
- You should consider keeping the old version on your store or downloading a backup
- When you have fully tested your store and you're ready to go live with the new version, click "Publish" to switch over to the new version
- If you find an issue with the new version even after publishing it, you can revert back to the old version
Which Shopify Themes are supported?
All Out of the Sandbox and Pixel Union 'Section Based' themes are supported.
- Out of the Sandbox Shopify Themes,
- Pixel Union Shopify Themes
Keep your theme up to date
Move over theme settings automatically — no more manual updating
Basic custom code is often able to be transferred
Priority theme support
View all code customizations
Transfers language files
Email notifications for new releases
* All charges are billed in USD. Recurring charges, including monthly or usage-based charges, are billed every 30 days.
Overall rating Based on 91 reviews
Most recent reviews
We are in the Shopify ecosystem for the last 4 years now and I dont remember any company that is more unhelpful than Out of the Sandbox. Both technically and from a business point of view for the following reasons (we have purchased two themes from them and this app )
1. In 95% of all the questions or help requests you raise, they simply tell you what you ask is out of their scope and you should go and hire a shopify expert on your behalf. Even though these are within the main scope of the themes or are really as simple as sharing two lines of code with you, they turn their backs and deny you.
For this reason, we have shifted to another theme provider which we are really happy with as they are at least listening and seem to care.
2. Their so called "theme updater" does not do a good job, leaving you with lines and lines of code intact and not transfered to the new theme. What is the point in buying an app that is supposed to make the update process automatic if it requires you to adjust 14 different snippets of code manually? It does not work, thats it
3. Within 20 mins of buying the app and realizing that it is not doing what it is claimed to do, we removed it and asked for a refund. Same day in 20 mins !! This is the response we get:
"Please keep in mind that updating the Theme Updater App to the Pro Plan does not guarantee that customizations will be carried forward. Unfortunately, all subscription charges are final and non-refundable, therefore, we're unable to provide you with a refund for your subscription."
There are tons of sensible vendors out there to choose from, do your self a favor and stay clear of this OUT OF THE SANDBOX company both for their themes and so called updater.
We're sorry to hear about your frustrations with the Theme Updater app. We've developed this app to provide merchants with an easier way of updating their themes without needing to download a new theme file and reapply all of your theme editor customizations.
The TUA will carry over your theme editor settings and content, provided you are updating from a theme version that is already using Shopify's newer "Sections" theme editor.
When you select the "Preserve theme file customizations" our app will attempt to copy over any custom/third-party code in the theme files. However, if carrying over the custom code to the new theme will cause a conflict with the new theme code, the custom code will not be automatically applied, and a report is created to let you know which custom code needs attention.
The Theme Updater is presently a free app, with a Pro Plan available for a monthly fee. While we're unable to refund Shopify subscription charges, first time subscribers are eligible for a 30-day trial of the Pro Plan. As long as the subscription is cancelled inside that 30-day trial you will not be charged for the initial subscription fee.
Please feel free to reach out to us directly here: https://help.outofthesandbox.com/hc/en-us/requests/new for any additional questions about the Theme Updater app, the Pro Plan or any other theme questions in general.
I have the "Responsive" theme installed on my site. Had to reach out to customer support for custom editing and have to say that I am very happy with the response time. In my case, it was in the 24hr time frame which is GREAT!
The instructions very well presented and were easy to follow.
No regrets in choosing these guys!
It does exactly what it is intended to do. Update.. When there’s a problem they respond promptly and professionally. It is why I chose to invest in a Shopify approved theme. They got your back.. Thanks
Hi EC Direct,
Thanks for the review! Happy to hear that you had a great experience with both our Theme Updater app and Support team.