Keep your theme up to date
Upgrade to the latest version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme to take advantage of new features & bug fixes.
Preserve theme settings
Automatically move over your current theme settings so that you don’t have to reconfigure them.
Priority Theme Support
Pro subscribers receive priority ticket based support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions or issues.
About Theme Updater
About Theme Updater
A bit of background: Shopify does not currently provide an easy way to update any themes when a new version of it is released.
You would normally need to obtain, then upload, a new zip file, then reconfigure all your theme settings — including resetting all of your colors, typography, images, text and more.
The Shopify Theme Updater app lets you not only upgrade to the latest available version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme, without losing any of your configured theme settings. In some cases, it may even be able to carry over basic customizations that you or your developer have made directly to the theme code.
When you buy a theme, you will receive 1 year of free updating through our Theme Updater App's Basic Plan, which begins on the theme purchase date. Before or after your free trial expires, you can select a subscription plan in order to continue to keep your theme up to date and get access to exclusive features through the app.
The Theme Updater App includes two subscription-based plans with monthly and annual billing options:
Basic plan (monthly + annually)
The basics for quickly getting your theme up to date.
- Update your theme to the most recent version, quickly and easily
- Email notifications when a new version of your theme is available
- Transfers basic customizations when possible
Pro plan (monthly + annually)
Advanced features for prioritizing and accelerating your theme updates.
- Prioritized ticket-based theme support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions
- Detailed information about any custom code modifications that the app spotted in your theme that will need to be moved over manually by you or your developer
- Support for copying over language files
How it works
- Install the app (no changes will be made to your code yet)
- You can then check the app dashboard to see if your theme needs updating
- First you’ll need to register your theme
- Once your theme is registered, click "Update" to update your theme
- The app does not affect your live store or make modifications to your existing theme code
- Instead, the app installs an unpublished copy of the latest version of your theme
- You should then preview and thoroughly test the new unpublished theme
- Consider keeping the old version on your store or downloading a backup
- When you have fully tested your store and you're ready to go live with the new version, click "Publish" to switch over to the new version
- If you find an issue with the new version even after publishing it, you can revert back to the old version
- Out of the Sandbox Shopify Themes,
- Pixel Union Shopify Themes
or $6.58/month billed at $79 once per year
or $10.75/month billed at $129 once per year
* All charges are billed in USD.
** Recurring charges, including monthly or usage-based charges, are billed every 30 days.
The overall rating reflects the current state of the app. It accounts for all app reviews but prioritizes the most recent ones.
Most recent reviews
Soundporium Music Store
Updated my theme. Ended up hiring a shopify expert to migrate all the modifications from the previous version.
Hi Soundporium Music Store. Thank you so much for your feedback - while our app will be able to help with most modifications, there are a small few that may need further adjustments afterwards. We will be following up via email shortly to see how we can help moving forward.
Although the pro monthly subscription was cancelled in the app at the beginning of September after the update to Theme 2.0. The app was still charging for October and November. According to Shopify the app was still registered for requiring charges.
Hi Top Shelf team! Thank you so much for your feedback. We apologize for the inconvenience - this is certainly odd and we will be looking into a solution for you ASAP. A member of our support team will be reaching out via email shortly.
Manuka Products UK
I used this app to update my theme to shopify 2.0, I had no code modifications but the updater still couldn't keep the basic text or images from my previous theme because the liquid themes were incompatible . As you have to pay for this app it is a particularly grating waste of time and money, surely the point is that it is able to transfer the basics to your new theme whereas I have to now start from scratch.
Hi Manuka Products Team! Thank you so much for your feedback - while our app will be able to help with most modifications, there are a small few that may need further adjustments afterwards. We will be following up via email shortly to see how we can help moving forward.