Keep your theme up to date
Upgrade to the latest version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme to take advantage of new features & bug fixes.
Preserve theme settings
Automatically move over your current theme settings so that you don’t have to reconfigure them.
Priority Theme Support
Pro subscribers receive priority ticket based support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions or issues.
About Theme Updater
About Theme Updater
A bit of background: Shopify does not currently provide an easy way to update any themes when a new version of it is released.
You would normally need to obtain, then upload, a new zip file, then reconfigure all your theme settings — including resetting all of your colors, typography, images, text and more.
The Shopify Theme Updater app lets you not only upgrade to the latest available version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme, without losing any of your configured theme settings. In some cases, it may even be able to carry over basic customizations that you or your developer have made directly to the theme code.
When you buy a theme, you will receive 1 year of free updating through our Theme Updater App's Basic Plan, which begins on the theme purchase date. Before or after your free trial expires, you can select a subscription plan in order to continue to keep your theme up to date and get access to exclusive features through the app.
The Theme Updater App includes two subscription-based plans with monthly and annual billing options:
Basic plan (monthly + annually)
The basics for quickly getting your theme up to date.
- Update your theme to the most recent version, quickly and easily
- Email notifications when a new version of your theme is available
- Transfers basic customizations when possible
Pro plan (monthly + annually)
Advanced features for prioritizing and accelerating your theme updates.
- Prioritized ticket-based theme support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions
- Detailed information about any custom code modifications that the app spotted in your theme that will need to be moved over manually by you or your developer
- Support for copying over language files
How it works
- Install the app (no changes will be made to your code yet)
- You can then check the app dashboard to see if your theme needs updating
- First you’ll need to register your theme
- Once your theme is registered, click "Update" to update your theme
- The app does not affect your live store or make modifications to your existing theme code
- Instead, the app installs an unpublished copy of the latest version of your theme
- You should then preview and thoroughly test the new unpublished theme
- Consider keeping the old version on your store or downloading a backup
- When you have fully tested your store and you're ready to go live with the new version, click "Publish" to switch over to the new version
- If you find an issue with the new version even after publishing it, you can revert back to the old version
- Out of the Sandbox Shopify Themes,
- Pixel Union Shopify Themes
Install the latest default version of your theme to start fresh
No setting configurations or code customizations are applied
or $6.58/month billed at $79 once per year
Free year of access (from date of theme purchase)
Move over theme settings automatically
Custom code is detected and often transferred
or $10.75/month billed at $129 once per year
Priority theme support
View all code customizations
Transfers language files
* All charges are billed in USD. Recurring charges, including monthly or usage-based charges, are billed every 30 days.
Most recent reviews
This app works well to make sure that our Out of the Sandbox themes remain up-to-date. Much more cost-effective than re-purchasing new themes. Developer was quick to respond to an issue that we ran into, and helped us resolve it very quickly so that our site was functioning properly.
Great app and customer support. Brent is very helpful and responsive as well as the the whole team. App makes it easy to update your theme, definitely recommend!
I am pleased I didn't purchase a full year. There was a lot that didn't get converted into the new version starting with the hero background video on the homepage. There was a list of things I would need to manually update, which I don't know how to do and defeats the point in paying for this service.
Hi Soozal team,
Thank you for this feedback!
Our app is able to copy over the settings and content configured with the default theme features. It may not be able to include some of the custom modifications made to the theme files. These may be from third-party app installations or custom work added by another developer.
In these cases, the app will list the files that contain third-party work that wasn't able to be moved over to the updated theme so that you can reapply the third-party code manually.
If you are having trouble with some of the default features not transferring over in the update, this is something we can certainly have a look at with you.
Our support team has reached out directly, we look forward to hearing back from your team!
All the best,
Out of the Sandbox