The Drum Broker
Used this app for years, so naturally we had tons of redirects built up. Once the app quit working, it became a mess. Rebuilding all redirects. It seems Transportr's redirect entries were to their servers (for app functionality) which is not robust at all.
Have written support twice for help. Crickets. It's too bad since now we will have to rebuild all our redirects.
This disappearance by the vendor also requires an explanation from Shopify too, as to how to prevent such things going forward, and being proactive about protecting customers. Shopify support yesterday via phone was earnest and helpful but it was clear they (support) had no idea it had happened.
This is the most unprofessional mess I've experienced with a Shopify app. What was once working is now gone, and no one is responding to our emails. If you're going to stop supporting an app, at least give the users a heads up so we could have exported our redirects!! We moved over from Magento and have thousands of redirects, what a MESS
Looks like they went bust. The app isn't working, their site is down, and no one's responding to repeated emails. It's been over a week and now we're having to manually rebuild all of the broken redirects.
The full app has been out of service for more than a day... All our redirections are not working )-;
This was one of the best apps we used on our Shopify stores but the service has stopped working. No response from support. Looks like the whole transportr domain is gone. It has been 7 days - are you coming back?
App is not working at the moment (status code 503 - Service Unavailable) no responce on request of the status quo. Please give an update!
The app doesn't work suddenly, our customers see a 503 error page. We have 90 thousand redirects so we have to remove the app and reimport 69 thousand redirects from our backup. We lose around 20 thousand redirects because this app masks the target URL. We lose.
I used to give this app a full 5 stars, but now the app has gone down and we have over 50 large clients who went through the redirect links. These are our top affiliates and now all of their customers cannot get to our site (using their custom links). This impacts thousands of customers and is now costing us thousands just this week alone. We need this fixed immediately.