Wholesale Gorilla

Wholesale Gorilla

by Wholesale Gorilla

Simple and powerful wholesale functionality for your shop.

Genex Formulas

What it can do and what it can not.

What it is good at:
Easy to install

Creating discount codes is a snap.

Support emails are answered in an acceptable amount of time.

Using the app within the Shopify store is seamless and, for the most part, quite easy.

Shipping options are a nice touch.

What it is not.
No Retail pricing is visible once logged in.
All pricing across the entire platform is changed with no option at all to show what the retail pricing is. So basically, the wholesale customer has no idea how much they are saving. This, of course, always prompts many emails from customers asking why all the pricing is not discounted or asking if we have a retail sheet to send them, which is what we ended up doing. It is either that or telling them to log out of their account so they can see the retail pricing and then log back in. We have since started sending them a link to a page with the pricing. This also is not a great solution though since it is just another thing we have to keep updated and maintain.

No way to modify the wholesale submission form.
It would be nice if they allowed us to add some custom fields but unfortunately, they do not. In our case, we have specific questions we wanted to get answered to see if they were a good fit. Since this app runs through a proxy, they do not allow any control over the app. So even minor tweaking is not an option. Therefore we had to set up our own custom submission form to incorporate the fields we needed.

No export of discounts available.
If you have many different types of discounts for different customers like we do, then maintaining them becomes cumbersome. You would be best to make a spreadsheet (yet another thing to maintain) that has all of your discount codes and the amounts off etc. since there is no export option available. You would think this would have been an easy one, but after reaching out to them on this, nope. I was told this was a great idea and that they would consider it for a future update, but that was a while ago, and it is still not an option that I can see.

Poor communication with their customers.
Don't get me wrong, if you submit a request, they will contact you back in an acceptable time frame. They are polite and professional. Unfortunately, they have no communication in regards to their app. How often is this app updated? I genuinely do not know, they never say. If it is often, there is nothing I can see that is any different. I use other Shopify apps and regularly get emails from them regarding updates and new features. It would be nice if wholesale gorilla followed suit.

No ability to change anything
Aside from not being able to change the submission form, unfortunately, there is not much that can be done with this app outside of what it is. Most customizations they offer do work pretty well, but depending on your case use, you will run into issues where you would like to customize something that is just not possible. The proxy issue kicks in, taking this app down a few pegs.

Conclusion
First off, it is not my intention to say not to use Wholesale Gorilla. This is a slick little app that is quite easy to use and understand. For the most part, it is intuitive and does not have a large learning curve. Most people should be able to master it in a very short time. It has helped our company save quite a bit of time and aggregation dealing with wholesale orders. If you are a small company with light activity and a small number of products, this app could be a good fit. That said, once you start to grow, there are a few cracks that make this app start to lose its charm. Little inconveniences begin to add up and eventually force you to start asking yourself some questions. For the price of $30 per month, you are close to the cost of opening up another Shopify store, which can deal strictly with wholesale customers. This is another level of maintenance, but depending on your needs may make more sense. And while we have not tried other wholesale apps, we are looking to see if any of them may fit our needs better. In the end, this app will work fine for many, but if you are similar to us, you may want to look at a different solution, or at least know what you will be facing if you do decide to use Wholesale Gorilla. While this app might work and be a 5-star app for some, for our needs, I would rate it at a 3 1/2 star option.

Good Flower Farm

I have been testing this app with a trial. I have set everything up and have been running multiple customer checkouts to look for any glitches or things I do/don't like about it. One thing right away to be aware of is they only offer shipping to be customized by pricing. Meaning, you cannot set things up for any specific customer or location (i.e., your local customers) to have free or discounted shipping.

Some features I appreciate, like the ability to tag current customers as "wholesale" and they just log in and then see your current catalog all at wholesale pricing. Other things feel kind of clunky and just lacking in terms of being streamlined and clean. When adding products to the cart logged in as a wholesale customer, I noticed that at first all products show up as their retail price and took a few seconds to change to the wholesale. This could scare wholesale customers who may not have the patience to wait those few seconds and think something is wrong with their account and give up. I can see the response to this being it is my computer or internet connection but I tried on different computers with the same result and don't have this kind of issue with other parts of my Shopify site.

Overall it's a decent design. I wouldn't call it a "gorilla" as the customizability is limited and not as intuitive or fine-tuned as I would have expected. Customer service has been good and responsive. The app itself is limited.

October 31, 2019

Hi there, this is Matt the owner of Wholesale Gorilla, thanks so much for the feedback. Depending on your store we can sometimes add custom code (free of charge of course!) to improve the speed of price changes in the cart to wholesale. One of the main challenges of working in the Shopify environment is that there is a huge variety of themes each with their own customizations, page load speed, and other apps installed. In some cases this can result in a slight delay before prices change to wholesale. We are currently looking into ways to improve the wholesale customer user experience by eliminating this issue altogether.

Development of features can be a slow process, but we are committed to providing the most useful tool possible to our customers. We very much appreciate you taking the time to give such thorough feedback since it always helps guide our development process.

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions. Thanks!

Lanch - Accesorios y Gadgets Originales

Is a very usefull app, unfortunately is hasn't have the option to translate to other languages beyond english. I needed texts in spanish so I had to uninstall it.

October 31, 2019

Thanks so much for the feedback. We have listened and are excited to announce the release a translation feature for Wholesale Gorilla! You can now translate wholesale messages and pages to Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Hungarian, with more to come.