EDIT: Jeff Chen was very friendly and helped me resolve the issue with the app I was facing. It turns out that I wasn’t using the app properly. Still, I’d advise his team to automatically update the number of listed products once someone upgrades their subscription.
For example, if someone originally has 5 products on discount, upgrades to have 10 products, and adds a 6th product, then the app should update to 6 products automatically rather than requiring the store owner to click the drop down menu and click “6”. Otherwise, I’m much happier with this app now!
This is one buggy app. I added a deal for one of my products, and I noticed I was getting a lot of site traffic that wasn't buying this product despite the praise on Facebook. I took a look, and sure enough, the product that I was running a deal for wasn't even showing up on the Deals page. I added it to the Merchandise Queue, but it doesn't display at all on Deals page. So, the original, non-sale prices were showing. As I can imagine, those people were probably confused as to where this big discount was. I imagine this app may have cost me several sales.
I've had issues with this app since I installed it (sale prices not showing up, products on sale not showing on the Deals page, etc). I'd manage to fix them, but this is the last straw. I'm going with another app that works properly so I can retarget those people.