The overall rating reflects the current state of the app. It accounts for all app reviews but prioritizes the most recent ones.
Tiny and Snail
Shopify's ability to format any sort of page is REALY bad. This makes it alot easier. There are somethings that could be improved-- for example, it would be really nice to be able to update sections and have it apply those changes to all the posts it's on-- but for the price, it's worth it. Also, the customer service is really helpful! I've had a couple of questions on how to add padding, etc. and they've jumped on our site and added code to work it out.
Ignis Umbra LLC
I debated between a lot of different blog apps, and many I eliminated right away because they effectively discouraged heavy use of the blogging functionality by putting "unlimited pages" behind a very expensive paywall. Others, were barely functional. Many were barely functional "AND" had an expensive paywall.
I chose Blog Studio because most importantly, it allowed me to create blog posts that looked similar to very popular sites like Wired.com. Success breeds clues right?
And it works! Of course I started out pretty mediocre in my ability to composite blog posts, but each post came out better than the last, by the third post, I really felt comfortable in being able to make a professional looking blog post like what "I" enjoy reading.
But I encountered a weird glitch, not sure where it came from, I couldn't see YouTube videos. I talked with support, and they actually went in and fixed my theme. My theme not from them (actually paid theme from the shopify store, Artisan). Wow!
I'm beyond impressed, not just because I got what I asked for, a great blog writing toolset to make me look more professional and hopefully expand my reading base, but because of what I didn't ask and didn't know i needed, a great team providing quick and responsive tech support going above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks Mandy, you and the rest of the blog studio team are the best!
So far, so good. I can insert blocks, and create very custom blog posts that look great on any device. However, the app suffers from the restriction of inserting its code into the theme's template. So, for example, if you want a full-width layout, and the theme's blog post template only has a 50% centered layout, you'll need custom CSS to get it to look the way you want it to look. But that is not a fault on this app. This app works as intended, so far. Just be aware of the limitations. I used flowzy's custom CSS plugin to add the additional CSS. I wish there were a way to easily add related products into blog posts. Right now, it's very hacky and not automated.
Kierra B Art
Not happy with this app. It does not work very well and designing decent blog posts is a nightmare. There are SO many bugs and just adding new sections doesn't work?! Do not waste your money on this one.
Very useful app for making nice blog articles, with a cool tool for Photo Publish, paragraphs, and many other features. It worsts their money. I have to use the Blog Studio for 2 weeks.
AWFUL. no directions how to make it actually link to the website, how to add it to my menu. Spent THREE hours creating a post and saved it over and over. NOW IT'S JUST GONE. WHERE IS ALL OF MY WORK.
Not happy with this app at all. There is a bug in the app and when I send a message they tell me to convert it but I have to convert it 10 times before the app actually opens
Contemporary Accent Furniture
The video makes it look easy. click and drag. nope. there is a whole section that is nonresponsive and doesn't work. so the way I gotta add blocks is only one way. very frustrating. the only reason i have it is because i need blogs on my site but i def would not recommend using this one. pickings are kind of slim so you just use whatever you find. good luck.
Started good, but it's consistently getting less intuitive, with worse results. Very disappointing overall.
After toying with the new Blog Studio update, I am happy to say that the steep learning curve was 100% worth it.
Admittedly, it took my team & me around 6 weeks to learn the new update, but now that we got the hang of it, it is excellent. A few tips:
1. Blog Studio works differently with different Shopify store themes. Some pre-made blocks work, some don't, but overall it's a much better alternative to the native Shopify editor.
2. If a pre-made block isn't displaying correctly, toy with the smaller, grey (+) sign within the box to make your own block. This has really helped us.
3. The updated desktop/mobile preview function doesn't work most of the time. Instead, just shrink your browser window the mobile size and you'll be able to see what it looks like on mobile.
4. The preview within the editor doesn't always reflect what a blog post will actually look like, and sometimes the live view takes a few minutes to display any changes. To avoid this, click 'Save', then click 'Preview Draft'. This will reflect any changes made immediately.
5. DO NOT edit any Blog Studio articles in the native Shopify editor, even if you're just adding tags. This will throw the whole article off. Just make sure all edits are made within Blog Studio.
6. Also, make sure that one person is in Blog Studio at a time. I noticed sometimes if more than one person is editing the same or a different article at the same time, it will confuse the app and throw all formatting off.
7. Start every blog post from scratch. Using saved templates just leads to frustration.
8. Play with the settings within a block. (The little gear icon within a block.) You can really get down to the nitty-gritty once you learn all of the capabilities.
9. Don't be afraid to upgrade the article if you have to. No major changes will happen.
10. The saved buttons feature is great to save time. That's about it off the top of my head. In summary, this app is great, especially if you put out a lot of content, but just know that it has a lot of bugs that need to be worked through. It can be very frustrating to learn how to use the app, and if you're an agency, learning how the app interacts with different themes can be challenging as well.
However, the features and capability for customization are great once you learn how to do it, and this is the only Shopify app that doesn't charge you per new page created.
So stick through the tough learning curve, talk with live chat (they're great), and you'll be happy you did.