The Shopify App Store will have limited functionality due to scheduled maintenance on December 11 at 3:00pm UTC.

Bold Memberships , 291 reviews

4.4

Merchants appreciate this app for streamlining business operations and boosting revenue, especially for those offering membership or subscription services. Its customer service is praised for speed and expertise, particularly the live chat feature. Despite some reports of missing features like discount codes and minor technical issues, the support team is quick to resolve problems. The app's seamless integration with Shopify and Stripe, along with its automation of membership systems and control over access to pages and collections, is highly valued. Some installation issues have been noted.

Edited January 7, 2022

UPDATE: After gaining thousands of members, we decided to transition to a membership solution that meets our needs. We removed our membership plan from the app, disconnected the payment gateways, and deleted the app from our store... and all of our members are continuing to be charged. I cannot EVER recommend this app because they have taken no responsibility for the charges their app continues to make after we no longer have access to the memberships created by the app. THIS IS A HUGE BREACH OF TRUST. I'm dumbfounded as to why any payment platforms continue to work with Bold if this is how their apps work. We have an open support ticket with Bold, but they continue to have no solution for the fact that their app continues to charge our customers after we've deleted the app. Recurring Memberships is...fine. It does what it sets out to do, and nothing more. For example, customers don't get a customized notification e-mail (or any e-mail at all from the app) when they sign up for recurring memberships, which seems very odd. It's not necessary, but odd. I mentioned this to the Bold team, as I thought I had simply missed it, but they confirmed that it's not an option. I had hoped to offer free shipping or a global discount to all members, but the app doesn't allow this. The in-app functionality of what you can offer members is really limited. I also wish you could prompt customers before checkout to see if they want to become a member. I also with Recurring Memberships would sync with customer accounts in Shopify. Last, I've been inundated with e-mails from Bold since I signed up for Recurring Memberships. Customer service has been responsive but not actually active in improving the app. Overall, I am paying customer for this app simply because there aren't any other viable options out there. I hope Bold spends more time developing the app, but I didn't get the impression from their customer service team that they'll be making any improvements any time soon. [Update: I had an excellent interaction with Jordan at Bold after posting this review. Jordan succeeded where the previous 3 reps did not--he found workable solutions for almost all of the issues above. The biggest tip was that you can create "groups" in Shopify, filtering by the tag you associate with your recurring members, and you can then create discount codes that can only be used by members of those groups. Thanks Jordan!]

Stonemaier Games
Almost 4 years using the app
February 14, 2022

I was not happy with the membership app. Customer service was not good at all and very slow to respond.=. For over 2 years now we had trouble with the app. The app had different information than what stripe had on their account and we could never rely on what bold app said. We tried to get it fixed but it never worked correctly and then when we went directly to stripe you guys erased all the recurring payments on stripe and untagged all my customers. I was also getting charged 1% more by using your app then going directly through stripe + the membership fee. I don't recommend this app to anyone and if you want to use an app like this you should go directly through stripe. All you do is copy their codes into your page that you want to charge.

Break Point FC
Over 3 years using the app
BOLD replied February 14, 2022

Thank you for your honest feedback! We're sorry to hear about the less than satisfactory support you've received - we do take this very seriously and will be looking into how it can be improved.

I can otherwise confirm our team has reached out to you regarding this request, and while it looks like we haven't received a response from you, we wish you the best in your e-commerce journey!

January 8, 2021

Terrible App, on top of Paypal problem, styling also doesn't change immediately, it takes a day or two if you change the color or font!!! It take time...bcs it is marinated to be cooked!!!! SO STUPID!!! and SO FRUSTRATING!!! Have only one App but FUNCTIONAL!!!

ANAHIT ETEMADI
Over 3 years using the app
BOLD replied January 12, 2021

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any frustration this may have caused you, we are constantly working on improving our app. Thank you for bring this to our attention.

January 27, 2022

This app will not work with any modern themes. Over 2 years since Shopify deprecated the 'include' tag and Bold havent bothered to update their theme.

StreetX
Almost 3 years using the app
BOLD replied February 4, 2022

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I can confirm our team is are looking into the issue and hopefully we will see this resolved this in the near future.

Edited September 2, 2020

After 3 days of waiting for the first response, a guy from support named "Bhumi" responded, I literally replied to him in minutes, after that he replied back in 2 days... I need fast support because this App is not working and not showing content for members only and they keep unsubscribing.

SharpSVG
Romania
Over 2 years using the app
Edited March 20, 2017

It just doesn't work. It never creates subscription box order and I can't manually see shipping address that used entered to manually ship the order!

The experience is not the smoothest (1), it's still limited functionality:

It's possible to only have text field and text area as additional info fields. It shouldn't be that hard to make all the other input fields types available, too.
Some email templates are not possible to save templates for (member invite template). I ended up doing a lot of extra work that I think the app itself should offer, not that a developer should develop to enhance the app functionality.
The documentation is confusing and limited.

(1) - The widget/form is loaded via AJAX; First some basic form is visible and then the translation and everything else happens in an AJAX callback

Prodigi Della Terra
Italy
Over 2 years using the app
April 27, 2022

App is buggy.. any time you add new products to your store the customer tags reset/disappear and all the customers get locked out of their accounts. Very frustrating and took a long time to figure out why.. we lost several customers over the years and they offered no solutions so we had to find alternative options.

Pino Spa Wholesale
July 12, 2018

Don't fall into the description trap this app says. You install the app and Step 5 (Subscription boxes) aren't listed. When I emailed support I was informed they no longer have a subscription box option in the app. They bait and switch. They tell me their Recurring Orders app has this feature. I don't need the option for customers to build their own subscription box. The whole point of going with this app was for the subscription box feature that is planned on our business side and not for the customer to build a monthly box with items they want. The recurring orders app charges a 1% feee for each box also.

Vector Quilts
February 20, 2020

Do not use this program or any other program by BOLD. They had a glitch in the system and unsubscribed all my monthly subscribers. Over 80 members to be exact and 8 months of work down the drain. Not to mention zero support from these people. I’m taking legal actions against this company for the financial damage they caused me.

Ticket Resell 101
April 23, 2019

I used the app to charge my VIP membership customers yearly. The Bold spe MO" is good apps horrid cust service." Its always a horrible experience . We increased our membership cost. Did not want old members affected- just new members charge the new price. Well our current members got a letter - stating they had 30 days to accept the new terms or their membership would cease. ( yes the one they paid for in full-- and who had 10 11 12 months remaining that they paid for) This should have been easily solved with a call- one email....But the way Bold works is you have to Beg to get a call--they say they will solve-- they email 24 hours later --- you respond then wait 24-48 hours for that answer.....then they respond and you respond and wait another 24-38 hours for their response. Its been over 14 days and my few clients ( imagine if it was hundred or thousands-- ) followed Bolds Solution and they are seeing that THEY HAVE TO PAY..... STILL even those that signed up 2 months ago for the full year AND PAID.
I reached out urgently again last night .....Its been a full work day- its almost 530 NO Response. Its simply not worth the having to deal with my clients on this issue for weeks . They right to be upset....and so are we . Heres my advice make your "VIP membership " a product with yearly recurring subscription. Since Im losing my current customers -- and must refund. Thats our start over plan for now.

Aunt Lyn's
About 1 year using the app
BOLD replied April 24, 2019

Hello there, thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry to hear about your experience thus far. It seems the issue has been more complicated than we originally thought.

We'd love to speak with you over the phone so we can get this resolved once and for all. Please reply to our specialist via email as soon as you can to let us know if you'd be able to speak over the phone today.

We'd love to get this resolved for you and your customers without any further hassle. We look forward to speaking with you further!