Keep your theme up to date
Upgrade to the latest version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme to take advantage of new features & bug fixes.
Preserve theme settings
Automatically move over your current theme settings so that you don’t have to reconfigure them.
Priority Theme Support
Pro subscribers receive priority ticket based support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions or issues.
About Theme Updater
About Theme Updater
A bit of background: Shopify does not currently provide an easy way to update any themes when a new version of it is released.
You would normally need to obtain, then upload, a new zip file, then reconfigure all your theme settings — including resetting all of your colors, typography, images, text and more.
The Shopify Theme Updater app lets you not only upgrade to the latest available version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme, without losing any of your configured theme settings. In some cases, it may even be able to carry over basic customizations that you or your developer have made directly to the theme code.
When you buy a theme, you will receive 1 year of free updating through our Theme Updater App's Basic Plan, which begins on the theme purchase date. Before or after your free trial expires, you can select a subscription plan in order to continue to keep your theme up to date and get access to exclusive features through the app.
The Theme Updater App includes two subscription-based plans with monthly and annual billing options:
Basic plan (monthly + annually)
The basics for quickly getting your theme up to date.
- Update your theme to the most recent version, quickly and easily
- Email notifications when a new version of your theme is available
- Transfers basic customizations when possible
Pro plan (monthly + annually)
Advanced features for prioritizing and accelerating your theme updates.
- Prioritized ticket-based theme support from our Merchant Success Team for any Out of the Sandbox theme questions
- Detailed information about any custom code modifications that the app spotted in your theme that will need to be moved over manually by you or your developer
- Support for copying over language files
How it works
- Install the app (no changes will be made to your code yet)
- You can then check the app dashboard to see if your theme needs updating
- First you’ll need to register your theme
- Once your theme is registered, click "Update" to update your theme
- The app does not affect your live store or make modifications to your existing theme code
- Instead, the app installs an unpublished copy of the latest version of your theme
- You should then preview and thoroughly test the new unpublished theme
- Consider keeping the old version on your store or downloading a backup
- When you have fully tested your store and you're ready to go live with the new version, click "Publish" to switch over to the new version
- If you find an issue with the new version even after publishing it, you can revert back to the old version
- Out of the Sandbox Shopify Themes,
- Pixel Union Shopify Themes
Install the latest default version of your theme to start fresh
No setting configurations or code customizations are applied
or $6.58/month billed at $79 once per year
Free year of access (from date of theme purchase)
Move over theme settings automatically
Custom code is detected and often transferred
or $10.75/month billed at $129 once per year
Priority theme support
View all code customizations
Transfers language files
* All charges are billed in USD. Recurring charges, including monthly or usage-based charges, are billed every 30 days.
Most recent reviews
Sterling & Wilde
I've had really good support from these guys, and I have used the updater without any issues, so I am happy to leave them a positive review here. No comments on the pricing, currently I am using the free version. I kept a note of my customisations and applied them after the update, and will continue to do so. All good for me and the latest update is definitely a great improvement on mobile.
Bonny Fiber Supplements
I love this vendor's themes. If you are comfortable with custom CSS, this is the theme for you. Their themes allowed me to design the eCommerce site that I wanted, rather than being limited by which features were included in a given theme. Worth every penny to purchase the Flex theme with custom CSS fields in almost every section. If you care about design and are comfortable with coding this is the vendor for you. Their customer service team is very responsive to any bugs. Note: They are very clear that they provide the theme and maintenance for their themes. They are not developers.
We run several OOTS themes and I have found them to be excellent. Never contacted customer service before. Never had to. Never will again. Zero help if you customize your code at all. Simply refuse to look at it. We have a very specific variable issue which exists in one store but not an identical mirror of it. I understand they get a lot of basic requests from people with limited coding skills but we were very specific about the issue and provided examples. So don’t expect support, your Pro plan is virtually a waste of money, as is the app as customisation is not supported (fair enough as it would be hard) however OOTS themes need apps to make them leading edge. That’s the contradiction we see. Even Flex is not a complete solution.
Reading reviews my tops tips would be:
1. Don't use a new theme. Wait until it's been debugged for a year. (Flex?)
2. Keep a changelog for yourself.
3. Forget updating it if customised. 4. Once working try not to touch it. 5. Every two years open a second store and update/perfect it, then repoint your domain. Close the old store or at least remove all the apps and anything costing money.
6. When loading a new theme check it functions 100% before changing anything. Otherwise, no support. 7. Be careful mirroring stores. It might not function and it's very hard to find out why. I still gave them one star as frankly there is no support if you ever change a single line of code in your theme despite how tech savvy you are.