Keep your theme up to date
Upgrade to the latest version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme to take advantage of new features & bug fixes.
Preserve theme settings
Automatically move over your current theme settings so that you don’t have to reconfigure them.
Advanced upgrade tools
Pro subscribers get info on advanced code customizations that may need to be moved over manually by the store owner or a developer.
About Theme Updater
About Theme Updater
A bit of background: Shopify does not currently provide an easy way to update any themes when a new version of it is released.
You would normally need to obtain, then upload, a new zip file, then reconfigure all your theme settings again — including resetting all of your colors, typography, re-insert all your photos, text content and more.
The Shopify Theme Updater app lets you not only upgrade to the latest available version of your Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme, without losing any of your configured theme settings. In some cases, it may even be able to carry over basic customizations that you or your developer have made directly to the theme code.
- Update your theme to the most recent version, quickly and easily
- Use the free app to update any time
Pro plan with more features
- Access to exclusive features
- Detailed information about any custom code modifications that the app spotted in your theme that will need to be moved over manually by you or your developer
- Email notifications when a new version of your theme is available
- Support for copying over language files
Is this app right for me?
The Theme Updater App is a great fit that should save you time and ensure you always have the latest and greatest version of the theme in your shop if you these apply:
- You have purchased a valid license for an Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union theme
- You have registered your theme
- You have configured your shop using the Theme Editor
- You have little to no custom code edits or additions
Stores with advanced customizations
If you or your developer have made extensive or complex customizations directly to the theme files then these customizations will need to be manually transferred to the updated theme.
How it works
- Install the app (no changes will be made to your code yet)
- Access the app dashboard to see if your theme needs updated
- When you're ready, click "Update" to update your theme
- The app does not affect your live store or make modifications to your existing theme code
- Instead, the app installs an unpublished copy of the latest version of your theme
- You should then preview and thoroughly test the new unpublished theme
- You should consider keeping the old version on your store or downloading a backup
- When you have fully tested your store and you're ready to go live with the new version, click "Publish" to switch over to the new version
- If you find an issue with the new version even after publishing it, you can revert back to the old version
Which Shopify Themes are supported?
All Out of the Sandbox and Pixel Union 'Section Based' themes are supported.
- Out of the Sandbox Shopify Themes,
- Pixel Union Shopify Themes
Keep your theme up to date
Move over theme settings automatically — no more manual updating
Basic custom code is often able to be transferred
Transfers language files
Email notifications for new releases
View customizations that you or your developer need to move manually
* All charges are billed in USD. Recurring charges, including monthly or usage-based charges, are billed every 30 days.
Overall rating Based on 84 reviews
Most recent reviews
Love the app. The app helped a lot when doing modification and customizations to a theme. Cuts a lot of manual work after each up update of a theme. But do recommend to check if your theme is supported by the app out of the box.
Hi Pocket Vape!
Thanks for leaving a review - that's awesome to hear. We're so glad that the Theme Updater App helped!
Very easy to use with clear instructions. Thanks for making my life easier with managing my store. Great!
Hi Welcome Organics!
Thanks for leaving a review - we're so happy to hear that the Theme Updater App was helpful!
difficult to work with. Resistance to helping their client. Days to get help but it is false help!
Thanks for the note, and I'm glad we could work with you back in January to resolve the issue! We're now able to reply to reviews, and I'm just following up to see if you have any outstanding questions that we didn't address from our Support correspondence. If so, feel free to send in a reply on our previous note, or submit a new one here: https://help.outofthesandbox.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
All the best!