by Kin Custom

Print & dropship on high quality apparel with custom branding.

PlayTyme

I've been using Kin Custom for just over a year, and I waited until now to write a review because I wanted to give time for COVID-related issues to be ironed out. They are the perfect example of a company being so close to the best in their industry but stumbling right as they get to the finish line. To start, my ENTIRE company was built around Kin Custom products for all of 2020. However, in 2021, we migrated to a different supplier for clothing because we desired to produce products with polyester & cotton blends, which Kin Custom doesn't offer. That's actually part of the reason for the 3 stars instead of 5, but I'll speak on that in a moment. When it comes to the quality of their products, Kin Custom really does a stellar job. Stitching and construction are very consistent, I can count on one hand how many times we've had a customer complaint about quality, and that's out of over 500 orders over the past year. Additionally, colors are vibrant and VERY accurate to their source artwork, which is a godsend in POD. I don't have to wait for samples typically, I can push products to our store with confidence which saves us a lot of money in production costs for new products. While we don't use them for clothing anymore, we still use Kin Custom for shoes as they remain the BEST place for shoes on-demand. No one even comes close in terms of quality, cost, presentation (the shoe box really does make it an amazingly well-branded product). Those last two are actually Kin Custom's biggest selling points: Cost & Presentation. Because they offer discounts based on order value, it means we can let orders build-up for a few days, then order in chunks to get a 20-30% discount on products. NO ONE else in the POD industry operates this way, and honestly, I wish more of them would. It's lead to major savings for big sales like Black Friday, where we got a 45% (!!!) discount on all our Black Friday orders, which led to us making even more money than usual, despite our entire store being on sale. This does mean it's more hands-on, and we have to place orders every few days manually. But in my opinion, that's well worth it for the savings. The added feature of full white-label branding for only $1.99 per product is also incredible. Not just that, but all the packaging is 100% recyclable *and* made of recycled materials. Major kudos to them for coming right out the gate with environmentally friendly packaging. Now on to the negatives and why I did not rate them 5 stars. It mainly comes down to 3 main issues: 1. Inconsistent & inaccurate size charts In my opinion, this is the biggest reason why Kin Custom is and will remain under 4 stars on the app store (with point number 2 below being a close second), despite their product quality being so outstanding. Their sizing makes no goddamn sense. A small t-shirt fits like a small, but the moment you get to a medium, their sizes are a mess. Mediums fit like a large, but 3XLs fit like a 2XL. It makes it near impossible to give customers an accurate idea of how their shirts will fit. And while the shirts run big, the pants run true-to-size/slightly small. So when we released track pants, we had many customers who were upset because they were used to our shirts being oversized, and therefore they ordered a size down. Only for them to arrive and be too small. Until this is fixed, Kin Custom will NEVER get a good rating on the app store or be able to truly contend with companies like Printful. We can't rely on our sizes being accurate and therefore provide customers with the right expectations. 2. Lack of product templates This, combined with the previous issue, is why I had to stop using them for clothing entirely. The fact they've been in operation for nearly 3 years at this point and STILL, TO THIS DAY, have no templates is beyond me. If you want to design products with a specific vision in mind (like, for example, placing your logo on the shoes in a similar manner to Converse), you have to play this back and forth with the mockup generator to make sure it looks right. And even then, it can be hard to know if you set things up how you wanted. Without templates, it's hard to ensure your artwork will show in the right places or what even the safe print area is when building out a design. The lack of PSD templates, or even just flat PNG transparent templates, as a POD company is unacceptable in the year 2021. With so much competition in POD, it's like Kin Custom said "fuck it" to actual functionality and focused entirely on their product quality. Which is a mistake. At the end of the day, POD apps are a SaaS solution mixed with manufacturing. If your software platform lacks core features, it doesn't matter how great the end product is because the experience of producing that product isn't worth it. 3. Exclusively polyester product catalog This is the final nail in the coffin of why we moved away from Kin Custom for clothing. As our customer base grew, we heard the same complaint more and more: "This looks amazing, but I wish it felt more like cotton and less synthetic." Kin Custom's clothing is 100% polyester across the board. Their shirts and hoodies feel closer to an athletic water-resistant fabric than cotton. Over the past year, they've introduced some more options, like the heavyweight sleeveless hoodies, which are a knitted polyester. Or their belted tapered pants, which are lightweight and closer to chiffon. But at the end of the day, it's still all 100& polyester, which does not meet the feel and comfort of cotton. As a result, we were forced to find a different supplier since our customers wanted hoodies that felt like regular hoodies, not track jackets or workout sweats. Now that we have found a supplier who does polyester jersey for tees (which feels closer to cotton) and 80% polyester/20% cotton for hoodies and joggers (which feels nearly exactly like 100% cotton), I can't make any excuses for producing clothing with Kin Custom, despite their amazing quality and white label branding. Ultimately the product has to be liked by customers, and ours don't like how Kin Custom clothing feels. If they improve these issues, I will be first in line to come back. But as it stands, I feel the only products someone should use Kin Custom for are shoes and accessories. I would not recommend them for clothing. I hope others find this review helpful, and I will be sure to update this if Kin Custom makes any major updates in the future to fix the issues I outlined.

June 15, 2021

Hello PlayTyme,

First, we want to thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review of our Shopify app. We take customer feedback very seriously and want to reassure you that we have read and made note of all points mentioned in this review. We love hearing that we are meeting your expectations and have earned your recommendation as a supplier of shoes in the POD community! Thank you so much for sharing your great experience with our print quality, construction consistency, custom branding, and shipping. While we love hearing all the great things we are doing, we know there is always room for improvement and greatly appreciate the points you outlined regarding size charts, design templates, and our predominantly polyester apparel catalog. We believe there is always an opportunity to do better and we are absolutely open to exploring how we can set more clear expectations for customers and shop owners to achieve a higher level of satisfaction across the board. Our team would love to communicate with you directly regarding all your suggestions for improvement , so we will be reaching out very soon! Thank you again for your loyalty to Kin Custom and we greatly appreciate the opportunity to continue to be your preferred print and dropship supplier!

Offbeat Sweetie

I have only used them for shoes, but I can say that out of all the POD providers I have had experience with, Kin Custom is the best! Whenever I get an order that is to be fulfilled by Kin Custom, I smile because I never have to worry about the quality of the product or the shipping times. I know that my customer will receive great quality shoes in a lovely branded box within a reasonable timeframe. This is a lot more than I can say for the other POD providers I work with! I only have two small complaints. The first is that the measurements on the shoe size charts are incorrect, and I know this for a fact as I have almost every size they offer here in my home for market stock, and I measured them myself. After I raised this issue with them nothing was ever done about it, so that is my first complaint. If they can provide accurate sizing charts then I will upgrade to 5 stars, The second is only a minor complaint, and that is that they do not offer the PU leather boots that most of their competitors offer. These boots are my highest selling items, and if I could get them through Kin Custom I would be so happy! Due to their overall fantastic quality and service, I would love nothing more than to work with Kin Custom exclusively, so if they ever offer the leather boots I will leave all my other POD providers and just stick with Kin Custom.

June 14, 2021

Hello Offbeat Sweetie!

We love to hear that you are enjoying our high quality, handmade products and print quality! We are so glad that you have had an excellent experience from order to delivery! Our entire team works hard to deliver not only high quality products, but an excellent experience overall, so thank you for sharing your great experience!

Regarding your concerns, we want to reassure you that we are actively reviewing and improving our size charts to ensure we provide the most accurate information possible. We have also passed along your product request to our Product Development team for future consideration. We do have an official product request form that our Customer Experience team will be more than happy to help you complete, so please keep an eye out for an email from us!

We sincerely appreciate you for taking the time to leave us this great review and look forward to continuing to be your preferred custom print and dropship provider!

Floy's Fine Art

I really love your products and branding labels. My customers are having issues ordering from my website. I intergated Kin Custom to my Shopify; however, customers getting an error stating, "shipping not available for the selected address". When I went to your sight and added the same address it processed the order. I need my customers to shop from my website that's set up through Shopify. I need your help ASAP. The APP was easy to connect with Shopify but I need customers to shop your brands from my site.

May 5, 2021

Hello Floy's Fine Art,

We apologize that your customers are having trouble with the checkout process. It sounds like you need to adjust your shipping settings within your Shopify store. I also see that our Customer Experience Team was able to assist you and that you confirmed the issue has been resolved. We are love that you love our products and custom branding sets and appreciate the opportunity to serve your business!

Freedom BLVD

Sizing does not consistently align to the sizing charts that they share for the products. Would recommend only for accessories or items where sizing doesn't matter. From my experience, mens tees [mens tee / mens graphic tee] and swim trunks are one to two sizes off. Outside of that, the custom branding is a great option. Shipping is consistently good. Several product choices.

April 27, 2021

Hello Freedom BLVD,

We greatly appreciate your business and feedback as a valued customer! We love to hear that you enjoy the custom branding sets and that shipping has consistently been good for you!

We sincerely apologize for any frustration caused by our size charts and want you to know that we are passing this along to our Product Development Team to investigate. It is unusual for our size charts to be off up to two sizes, so we will urgently look into this matter and make necessary corrections ASAP. In the meantime, we recommend ensuring your customers are going by their true body measurements as outlined in the How to Measure graphic within our Size Chart page (https://www.kincustom.com/page/size-charts) and being mindful of the size allowance and fit mentioned in each product description in the size/fit section. Ordering samples is another way you can help guide your customers to ensure they get the desired look and feel from your custom designed and branded merchandise.

We thank you again for your business and look forward to the opportunity to continue to serve your business!

KEONI HILLTOP

I really do love this company. The mock ups are what attracts me the most. I love how my designs come out.

April 20, 2021

Hello KEONI HILLTOP,

We are delighted to know that you love Kin Custom! We love serving you and want to thank you for choosing us as your custom print and drop ship provider. We appreciate you sharing your great experience with our design tool, mockups, and finished products!

We look forward to the opportunity to continue to serve your business and want to thank you again for choosing us!

IssaMilianGang

I currently use this site. It's not an app thats the first mistake. It crashes on me all the time which is the main reason I have not added any more designs to my store and I have not exported the products to my shopify account I don't promote my store because I cant update my collections. Due to the site crashes very often while I'm in the middle of a masterpiece. It's very annoying. I ordered from another's shop that drop ships their brand only using kincustom and it took 2months to ship. I will add this is during the pandemic and end of year beginning of year holidays but 2 months is a tad bit too long. I had forgot about the order until one day I got an email saying that my product would be delivered soon. Personally the material is fine. Even having tags is fine. What my biggest fear is kincustom won't be able to capture my color schemes because that is a major part of my art. Not to mention the use of black. Even the shop owner I purchased from said that her black was not the same color of her design granted she used the default designs. And gang rags and called them her designs. I thought how can you mess up black? So what I've done is just created different color schemes because I'm the Queen of Mixed Colors. And now going back to add my designs if the site will stop crashing on me.

April 8, 2021

Hello IssaMilianGang,

We apologize for the frustration you have experienced with our site! We are more than happy to help you troubleshoot the issues you are experiencing if you would please open a ticket with our Customer Experience Team here: Contact Us | Kin Custom: On-Demand Print and Dropship, Made Easy Please make sure you are using a high-speed internet connection, Google Chrome web browser, and have cleared your cache and cookies for an optimized experience!

Regarding the order you received that was extremely delayed, it is common for extended delays during the Chinese New Year holiday due to the government mandated celebration days and the closing of customs for the entire country. In addition to pandemic related delays, this particular time of year did experience extreme delays overall. That being said, please be advised that Kin Custom adheres to an average 3 business day production timeframe and was never behind in production during those timeframes. The shipping times we advertise are estimates, not guarantees, and we do our best to communicate delays due to things like holidays, the pandemic, and carrier specific delays. Kin Custom notified all creators of these delays multiple times in multiple locations leading up to the holiday to help avoid frustration around the foreseen shipping delays.

Kin Custom has a detailed Print Guide (https://knowledge.kincustom.com/knowledge/print-guide) and Artwork Guidelines (https://knowledge.kincustom.com/knowledge/artwork-guidelines) that we recommend reading carefully prior to designing to ensure your overall satisfaction with your merchandise. We print in RGB color scale, but still advise against printing black on some of the materials due to the nature of the printing process and the fabric of the product chosen to print on. To ensure the satisfaction of your end customers, we recommend ordering samples of your designs and making adjustments as needed to achieve your desired look.

We look forward to hearing back from you and allowing us to turn your experience into a positive one!

Jah Love Shop

I should have read the reviews before I started to deal with this company. I order a sample that came half printed!! I sent an email to them to have this fixed I truly hope they don't take a long time to fix this as many of my customers are waiting for me to launched this design. So far I haven't had any issues so never had to contact them about something like this but from these reviews it look like I won't hear from them no time soon which is very unfortunate because I actually like how my products have been coming out. I should have known something was gonna be wrong because this order took way longer then usual to arrive. My products are worn by some of the biggest names in reggae music as well as featured in some of their music videos so I can not have misprints or in this case a half printed product. Please fix this ASAP so I can change my 2 star rating to a 5 star rating. **UPDATE**
They said they are going to help fix the issue which I appreciate because as I said this is the first time I've had an issue. I would suggest maybe an online chat feature for better customer service interaction but other then that things run pretty smoothly from design to shipping. I look forward to launching my newest collection.

March 22, 2021

Hi Jah Love Shop!

We are so sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with this order. We see that our Customer Experience Team was able to assist and issued a full refund for the misprinted item. We greatly appreciate your business and the opportunity to turn this experience around for you!

Belle Coccinelle

I planned on using KC for most of the products in my store but unfortunately, I am unable to upload my logo so I can’t have my own branding on them. When I try to upload the file ( 120 kb png, but I tried using jpg, too) it doesn’t do anything, just spinning. I tried using Chrome and Safari without any success. :( I am really looking for a solution! UPDATE: I got help from a very helpful lady and now my brand logo is already added. Can't wait to use their service! :)

March 15, 2021

Hi Belle Coccinelle!

Thank you so much for giving Kin Custom the opportunity to be your custom print and dropship provider! We are so sorry you are having difficulties uploading your logo! It is super easy and you can find a detailed video of the instructions in section 3:05- 3:45 Custom Branding here:https://knowledge.kincustom.com/knowledge/print-guide

If you are still having trouble after watching the video, please open a ticket with our dedicated Customer Experience team and they will be more than happy to assist! https://www.kincustom.com/page/contact-us

Heroes Twerk Here

I ordered 23 products to view before listing on my store. They arrived yesterday for a total of 14 days which I feel is great for international shipping. All of my white-base products came out great and I am pleased with those But I am concerned about doing garments with a black base because the color did not seem to absorb very well. I did a design with the men's black track jacket but it looks somewhat "faded". In natural and indoor light it sort of has a dark blueish-green hue to it. You can tell its not a solid dark black. Its a stark difference because the trim and cuffs ARE solid dark black and by contrast you can really tell the black jacket color is off a little. Perhaps the color did not transfer well and this is a one-time defect? If this jacket were to get washed and fade just slightly, it would look horrible.
Based on the reviews of others below, it would seem frustrating to appeal this to customer service and it seems safer to just pull the item from my store.

March 11, 2021

Hello Heroes Twerk Here,

We want to thank you for your business and loyalty to Kin Custom!

We are so sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your merchandise! If you haven't yet, please be sure to check out our Print Guide, which contains all the information you need to create designs that will print beautifully on all of our products. You can find the Print Guide here: https://knowledge.kincustom.com/knowledge/print-guide

We would love the opportunity to turn this experience around for you! Please reach out to our dedicated Customer Experience Team by opening a ticket here: https://www.kincustom.com/page/contact-us

We are standing by and ready to assist!

Amoureux Boutique

I've had nothing but a great experience with this company. Their products are amazing as far as quality. I can't get over the samples I've ordered and I'm really happy with the reviews I'm getting. Shipping is always pretty fast. I've never really had to contact customer service for a serious issue yet. The one time I did have a question about the app they got back to me within 48 hrs which I find is reasonable. Overall I'm loving this app and its products.

March 2, 2021

Hi Amoureux Boutique!

We first want to thank you for your business! We are excited that you are happy with our handmade, quality apparel, shoes, and accessories! We pride ourselves on our quality and fast production times!

Most importantly, we appreciate you and glad you enjoy our sample program. Please remember, once you are pleased with your sample you will qualify for our discount program where you can save up to 45% on any purchase uploaded using our universal .csv starting at $60 (15%off).

Again, we can't thank you enough for your business and we are excited to see what you design next!

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7