Reviews (440)

2.9
Edited December 4, 2020

I find Digital Downloads is quite simple to use. At first I was frustrated that there was no "How To" explanation of how to use the app in the app store.
I was putting the cart before the horse. Shopify Help had an easy to understand video on how to use Digital Download. I searched for a How to Use Digital Downloads in shopify help, came accross the "How To Use" video and the rest was a no brainer.
Digital Downloads works perfect for me.

Wide World of Radio
Over 3 years using the app
Shopify replied November 17, 2020

Thanks for sharing this feedback. We have a great help document that outlines how to upload digital downloads here: https://bit.ly/2IIqtCq. If you're looking to attach digital downloads to an existing product instead, just make sure to follow these steps: https://bit.ly/3lSPrxH. Once a customer purchases a digital product, they will receive a link to download it on their end. You can read more details on this here: https://bit.ly/2UD7SdD.

If you'd prefer to speak with our team about this over the phone, please visit our Help Center (https://bit.ly/3kyE10s) to request a callback. However, I'm also going to follow up with you via email so we can chat through this process in more detail. I'll be in touch soon! - Rae, Shopify Support

April 9, 2020

This did not work at all. Did not provide the digital download at checkout, nor did it send an email with the link.

Paper Pony Co.
About 3 years using the app
January 19, 2022

Was working fine but now it's buggy and won't let me add any new digital products. Shame as it worked fine previously

Nabeel Khan Art
Almost 3 years using the app
Shopify replied January 31, 2022

Hi, there. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. I'm sorry to hear that the application is not behaving as expected, and we appreciate you letting us know about the issue.

You can try using a different web browser to login to your Shopify Admin and access the application. If the application works in the new browser, I recommend clearing the cache and cookies of the previous browser, as this should clear the problem. If the issue persists in the new browser, I recommend uninstalling, and then reinstalling the application.

If you find that the above steps haven't resolved the issue, then please reach out to our Live Support team so you can connect with one of our advisors. They can do some more detailed troubleshooting, and help find a solution. You can use the following link to contact that: https://bit.ly/3c5icUc -Imogen, Shopify Support

April 28, 2021

Used to work just fine, but now doesn't work on Safari at all (yes - I have the latest version), nor does it work on Chrome. Can't add attachments at all. And no help from developer.

tribeyarns
Shopify replied May 15, 2021

Hi, there. Thank you for sharing the feedback. Safari and Chrome are two of our supported browsers. However, if the issue is persisting with the updated browsers, then I'd recommend getting in touch with our Support team directly here: https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V. Thanks! -Elias, Shopify Support

Edited December 6, 2020

If I could give this app zero stars I would. First off my attachments were wiped from all my products over 1700...they say the app does not store the attachments anywhere so there is no way to retrieve them. Secondly when I open the app it shows all my products have an attachment when hardly any of them do at this point. This has been a complete and total nightmare and has cost me big time in loosing sales. Considering this app is made by shopify I am pretty shocked at how bad it is. I would not recommend this app to anyone. Oh and I have also reached out twice with no response.

On The Fritts Designs
Shopify replied December 11, 2020

Thank you for leaving this detailed review. It sounds like you've had a really difficult time with Digital Downloads, and I'd like to speak with you directly to look into this situation and ensure you receive the support you need. I'm going to reach out to you via email so that we can discuss this further. I'll be in touch soon! - Rae, Shopify Support

August 21, 2021

Used to work great. Now all of a sudden it doesn't work with Shopify Lite even though it says it's compatible. Customers are given an error message that says "shop doesn't have a website yet" when they click the link in their email to download their purchase.

Healing in the Hebrew Months
Shopify replied August 24, 2021

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this issue but thank you for notifying us of this here in your review. The app can still be used for merchants on the Lite plan, although this error can occur when the app is pointing the customer back to an online store link that does not exist.

To prevent this from happening, you can edit the email template for digital downloads and change {{ attachment.shop_url }} to {{ attachment.url }}. This should bypass the need for the customer to visit the online store and instead send them a direct link to download the file.

I hope this helps, but if you are still having issues please contact our support team directly for further assistance: https://bit.ly/2AWw5VA. They'll be able to authenticate you on your store and look into resolving this issue for you. -Victor, Shopify Support

April 2, 2023

Customers are having trouble with the downloadlink they receive. They are often times redirected to the store, which in my case is not possible, since I am running on the Lite subscription (no storefront) what could be the trouble? This has happened too many times now in a short period of time.

Rollaganza
Netherlands
Shopify replied April 6, 2023

Thank you for sharing your customers' experience with us! I have a solution for the Lite plan that will take customers to a download page rather than redirecting them to a store page. In the email template for digital downloads, try changing {{ attachment.shop_url }} to {{ attachment.url }}. If you require further assistance with this, please get in touch with our team here: https://bit.ly/2AWw5VA. -Sophia, Shopify Support

August 12, 2020

Incompatible with Safari. I've reached out to Shopify support about this issue but what you would think would be a fluid conversation takes DAYS for a response and no solution has been achieved or discussed.

Nick Noir
Shopify replied September 1, 2020

Hi, there! I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble contacting us - our support is experiencing large volumes of requests at the moment, so it may take longer than usual for someone to reply if you've reached out via email. If you need urgent support, I'd suggest starting a live chat with us, or reaching out on Facebook or Twitter.

We typically recommend using the admin with Google Chrome, however you should be able to use the app in Safari without any issues if you prefer that browser. You likely need to clear your Safari cache and cookies or disable a browser extension or ad blocker - I'll reach out to you via email shortly and we can do some troubleshooting together. Speak soon! - Brie, Shopify Support

March 25, 2016

A nice start, but one star from me until you can attach multiple files to the same product variant. Shopify's suggestion of attaching a .zip file is useless: many people don't know how to use them, and we lose the vast number of customers who are purchasing on mobile devices that can't handle .zip files.

Ocrb
Edited March 4, 2021

Basic functionality is missing and the app is not updated by the developer. I gave the following feedback several months ago: 1) You should be able to remove uploads 2) You should be able to set a fixed download expiration date after a purchase (e.g. 30 days) 3) You should be able to download from a purchased download-link even after a product has been deleted in store 4) You should be able to have different languages in the download mail 5) You should be able to send a file instead of a download link 6) You should be able to open the app in the Safari browser. I hope you will implement some of these features soon. 7) A column with “Upload Date” could also be useful in the dashboard. 8) And a column with "Sales Download Completed %” so you could see how many of the buyers that succeeded in downloading 9) And a column with a status on the product (as just implemented with "active" and “drafted”) with the addition of “deleted” 10) Name should be “product” and another column should be “variant” instead of the “-“ separator 11) “Attachment” should be renamed to “attachment file name”

Flettede Fugle
Denmark
Almost 2 years using the app
Shopify replied November 13, 2020

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for letting us know about the areas where you'd like to see the app improve. I'll be sending your feedback along to our developers so that our team can get a better idea of the features that merchants like yourself are looking for. - Oliver, Shopify Support