Retail Barcode Labels

Rating (2.3)
Developer
2.3
Edited January 11, 2023

This app is free and yet somehow still I'm disappointed. It is restricted to a limited range of labels from 3 specific brands of labels with specific brands/models of printers. (conveniently printers you can buy from the Shopify store.) You'd think this thing would be highly optimized for said printers, but I've had so many issues. For example, just today I had the labels just randomly start printing sideways. Like, between print-jobs using the same template, minutes apart. Shopify has a bad habit of creating apps and then never supporting or improving them, and sadly this is one of them.

Update: 01/11/2023.
No noticeable updates, but through some tinkering, I've been able to get it to work and it does print labels, so I'm upgrading it from 1 to 2 stars. However, another noticeable issue is the clunkiness in regards to bulk controls. You can't, for example, filter your search to a product category and select all, and you can't copy past a quantity down a row like you can if you were bulk editing something in Shopify. This is being mentioned because I recently needed to print one of each label, for the purpose of sticking on bins (a pretty fair use-case) and that involved me individually searching each item and then individually setting the quantity to 1. Very very very tedious, and if you have a warehouse full of SKU's, you're in for a bad time.

I appreciate Imogen's response, and I genuinely hope to see this app improve, but it really does feel like it's being neglected.

Sanshee
Time spent using app: 8 months
Shopify replied September 15, 2022

Hi there, Sanshee. Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We're sorry to hear that Retail Barcodes hasn't been performing to the standard that you expect from us. We take feedback such as this very seriously, as it helps us improve our product offerings into something folks can enjoy using. Our Product Team is aware of requests for further supported label types and printers, and I'll make sure they see your review here for further proof of the value such features would bring. If you do encounter issues such as the labels changing orientation in the future, please reach out to our Live Team (https://bit.ly/2AWw5VA) so they can document the issue, and assist with troubleshooting. -Imogen, Shopify Support

August 25, 2022

SUMMARY TO HELP OTHERS: try pasting codes into external templates using Dymo/Zebra software. I am only on day one, and so far this app has 100% solved my issues. All I needed were barcode (numbers) generated for products - in about 5 minutes this app did exactly that. Doing this manually would've taken me hours, days, maybe even weeks. I think I understand why there are so many negative reviews - perhaps because it's advertised as an all in one barcode generator, label designer, and printer. Here's what I did: downloaded Dymo software and copied the generated barcodes into their label templates. From there I can customize size, text, everything. Every single label scans. NOW - if I find there's duplicate barcodes in here somewhere I'm going to be peeved, but so far so good. Listen, I know it seems clunky right now but back when I used another platform that starts with a Shop and ends with a Keep it was the same way in the beginning - barcodes were generated but direct label printing was near impossible. Perhaps Shopify will listen to concerns and work on patching bugs - in the meantime try external templates for Dymo/Zebra.

Mxd Magic
Time spent using app: 27 minutes
Shopify replied September 15, 2022

Hi there, Mxd Magic. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review for Retail Barcode Labels! We're glad to hear that the code generation feature is useful to you! We have had some folks report issues with duplicate codes, so make sure you keep an eye out for those. We appreciate the feedback you provided here regarding the printing functionality of the app. Feedback like this helps us build our products to be better. I've gone ahead and passed your review off to our Product Team for their consideration. Thanks again for leaving your review! -Imogen, Shopify Support

August 17, 2022

For a long time all went fine with our barcodes. now suddenly it makes duplicates of barcodes for diffrent products, even the products have diffrent SKUs!! even we have only about 4000 diffrent variants-barcodes.... It is a huge mess for us, as we are traped in this App. All our products are in store POS an are labeld with barcode labels!! i hope to get an answer from the developers to help me solve this problem! Please contact us! It's a worst case scenario!

ONIX Boutique Bern
Switzerland
Time spent using app: Over 2 years
Shopify replied September 7, 2022

Thank you for writing your review and letting us know that you've had this issue, and I can appreciate the frustration in having to deal with the problem of duplicate barcodes for your products being assigned to incorrect variants.

If you believe the app is not behaving as it should, I'd recommend contacting our support team directly so we can authenticate you on your store and troubleshoot this issue further: https://bit.ly/2AWw5VA.

Edited August 28, 2022

Very poor app for handling the most important physical function in Shopify. Very disappointing. The poor function and printing of a barcode symbol is a good reason to never use Shopify. We had too many problems to get 20,000 labels working. Always an issue getting the barcode to print properly and read with the proprietary Socket Mobile scanner for Shopify POS. -The Documentation is poor to explain how layout works with "limited formats" and how that interacts with a thermal label printer with a label of a different size. There are so many label sizes. Why have such limits and not allow a standard dimension to be used?
- No warnings for character limits on barcodes. There should be a warning when printing barcodes on labels that might be too narrow and create readable issues in 128.
- No options to enable/disable compression, resizing or automatic "fit to size" within the app. Too much reliant on the print driver to adjust the barcode, when the app should be handling this.
- No options for custom layout , including text wrapping options, font size.
- No option to add a logo to the retail label. We want to add a small corporate logo somewhere on the label for branding.
- the variant and product selection screen is too basic. It should show you the BARCODE field and the fields that the chosen LABEL is using. DUH! You have to "Print Label" to see if all your fields are there. - give us the usable workflow to find the oddball variant that is missing a barcode so we can fix it before printing. - A custom layout that allows you to adjust the height of the barcode with the text fields would make this soo much better. even if it still forces the fields to center. And within the height of a text box, you can enable/disable text wrapping to handle things like a long title. - the Label Template has a custom field for that template. BUT why not offer a "custom field" for the product, so a short title can be used to compensate for a long title that gets cut off the label because of the character limit. ...this app should be way better and more useful and accommodating. We tested identical test data with the Brother pTouch Editor and the same printer and the barcode labels came out beautiful, to the design, and accurately read quickly with the Socket Mobile S700. Verifying the conclusion that this app by Shopify is "trash".

Local Route Disc Golf
Time spent using app: About 1 year
Shopify replied September 7, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to list out the issues you've had with the Retail Barcode Labels app, and I can see why the difficulties you've encountered have made for a frustrating experience when trying to design and print your labels.

Our app development team actively reviews merchant feedback and this helps inform them on where to make improvements for our apps. All of the suggestions you have listed will be passed onto them and we appreciate you writing your review to inform us of the problems you've encountered. -Victor, Shopify Support

August 5, 2022

I wish you could add pre-existing barcodes from our vendors with the Shopify app. Need to allow up to 9 number barcode.

Swalty Sisters, LLC
Time spent using app: 6 months
Shopify replied August 18, 2022

Thank you for taking the time and sharing this feedback with us. While there isn't a way to import barcodes at this time, you can create barcodes up to 39-digits. However, this will depend on the type of labels you're using, so please refer to our list of supported label sizes (https://bit.ly/3durQDU).

That being said, we understand that importing barcodes from the vendors can be beneficial for our merchants, like yourself, and we'd be more than happy to pass this feedback along to our development team as a feature request for future considerations.

On the other hand, if importing barcodes is something that you absolutely need right now, then we'd encourage using StockSavvy Barcode Scanning (https://bit.ly/3SYLBUy) for the time being. Cheers! -Elias, Shopify Support

July 3, 2022

This app was not customizeable enough for my needs. I found it cut off info that I wanted on my label. If the barcode could be smaller and if we could adjust things like kerning, number of lines and font size etc this would work.

LAFA Brands
Time spent using app: 3 months
Shopify replied July 19, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. We understand that more customization options is important to you, and we'd be happy to share these suggestions with our development team for future considerations. Thanks again! -Elias, Shopify Support

June 22, 2022

App is ok, but it does not support the language with letters "č", "š", "ž" in it. If title contains one of those letters, the labels will be empty, you can only print a barcode and price.

BIKERS OUTLET
Slovenia
Time spent using app: About 4 hours
Shopify replied July 15, 2022

Hey, there. Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing this feedback with us. We understand how important specialized characters are for your business and labels, and we'd be more than happy to share your feedback with our development team for future considerations.

If you need the labels to support special characters for the time being, then we'd recommend exploring some third-party options. Apps, such as Multi‑Label Barcodes (https://bit.ly/3RAX0sR), Barcode Man ‑ Label Printing (https://bit.ly/3vfIu0n), or Kodbar: Barcodes & Labels (https://bit.ly/3PemMBx), supports multiple formats and allows you to create custom labels. Thanks! -Elias, Shopify Support

June 18, 2022

"A technical problem prevented this page from loading. Reload this page, visit another page in the Retail Barcode Labels app, or try again later."
- shopify 2022

GamerGear.cz
Czechia
Time spent using app: About 2 hours
Shopify replied July 11, 2022

Hi, there. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review for us, and I'm sorry to hear about this error you've encountered. We recommend that you reach out to our Retail Support Team using this link here (https://bit.ly/3ywkAym) so they can investigate this error with you, and find a resolution, so you can access the application as expected. -Imogen, Shopify Support

May 31, 2022

This app has potential; however, it has not been thought through properly. By this I mean it is not intuitive or laid out well and the app defaults are annoying. If you want to print off a batch of labels, the default is set on each item to zero. You then have to click or tab through the no of labels require field for each product. It would be very easy to have a select all and alter the numbers in a batch rather than individually. It would also be great to see other barcode formats such as QR codes as an option. I would also like to see it integrated with one of the QR code apps that generates customer QR's that allow them to put items in their cart or one click purchase. It's a "nearly" app rather than a "complete package" app

Dragons Head Shop
Time spent using app: 6 months
Shopify replied June 20, 2022

Hey, there! Thanks so much for providing this valuable feedback here. I'll be sure to submit all of your suggestions to our developers for consideration on future updates. Thank you! - Brie, Shopify Support

May 27, 2022

Easy install and creation of a barcode for each item. We have printed labels with a dymo printer for a few thousand products. Great app. Only 1 minor issue that resulted in some manual work; the currency sign is too close to the price number (almost above it), so we had to open the labels in acrobat and put a space in between... for a few thousand labels :(

Babù Antwerp
Belgium
Time spent using app: 12 days
Shopify replied June 18, 2022

Hey, there. Thanks so much for taking the time and writing this review! We're delighted to hear that our app was easy to install and create barcodes. We also appreciate your feedback and the additional context about the spacing for the currency symbols, and we'd be happy to pass your feedback along to our development team for considerations in future releases or updates. Cheers! -Elias, Shopify Support