Theme Updater

Theme Updater

by Out of the Sandbox

Keep your premium theme up to date

it's us or naked

This whole Theme Updater show is a total rip-off. Out of the Sandbox sells their themes with the promise of providing regular updates for free. Confronted with that they tell you, well, we do but you have to start from scratch and rebuild the whole store if not using Theme Updater, which only comes with an expensive monthly-subscription-scam instead of a one time fee. Out of the Sandbox blames that on Shopify. It looks very much like two companies working hand in hand, trying to suck more money out of their clients who of course depend on them if they want to keep up functionality of their e-commerce businesses. This is absolutely ridiculous!

Herbman Hustlin

This is not really for the app but more for their support for the theme which is terrible, unresponsive, dimissive and unhelpful. I was just going to purchae another theme from them but on the back on my recent experience I won't be.

Claribelskincare.com

I see I'm not the only person with disgust about the lack of customer service Out of the Sandbox offers. Beautiful themes, terrible, slow customer service. Not a way to expect people to run an ecommerce business. I forewarn potential customers to stay far away. If you run a day to day ecommerce business, pandemic or not, this is not the right company for you. P.S. I have tried for literally WEEKS to get (Magdalena) answers with no resolve. Shame on you for not supplementing your customer service as well as you've paid attention to your theme design. JQ

Ameyalli

I just purchased a subscription for Theme Updater to save me the job,

However I updated the theme and the app is functionless since it doesn't work at all.

The theme I updated is exactly as if I've installed the theme (EMPIRE by Pixel Union) and there are no changes at all, it's all at its defaults.

This is so annoying.

These are the files which don't have any changes (it's a ridicule amount of files, it doesn't make sense in most of them).

Empire (Dec-23-2019) (May-3-2020) has been successfully installed.

However, 55 template files contained customizations that could not be automatically applied to the latest version.

- Hide template files
assets/Account.bundle.js
assets/Contact.bundle.js
assets/ContainSwatchTooltips.bundle.js
assets/DynamicBlogPosts.bundle.js
assets/DynamicFeaturedCollection-StaticCollection-StaticProductRecommendations-StaticSearch.bundle.js
assets/DynamicFeaturedCollection.bundle.js
assets/StaticRecentlyViewed.bundle.js
assets/StaticSearch.bundle.js
assets/StaticSlideshow.bundle.js
assets/theme.scss.liquid
assets/vendors-DynamicBlogPosts-DynamicFeaturedCollection-DynamicInstagramFeed-DynamicTwitterFeed-StaticCol-09aa5aa9.bundle.js
assets/vendors-DynamicFeaturedCollection-StaticCollection-StaticProduct-StaticProductRecommendations-StaticSearch.bundle.js
assets/vendors-DynamicSearch-StaticHeader.bundle.js
snippets/structured-data.liquid
templates/404.liquid
templates/page.contact.liquid
templates/product.liquid
The template customizations will need to be manually applied from Empire (Dec-23-2019) to Empire (Dec-23-2019) (May-3-2020) only for these individual files.

May 5, 2020

Hello Ameyalli,
Thank you for sharing these details! We're very sorry for the inconvenience here - the Theme Updater App was experiencing a temporary issue with certain versions, and we believe this version of Empire was impacted. The issue has been addressed, and attempting the update again should result in a more expected outcome.
We have followed up on the support request as well, where we can continue the correspond if there's anything amiss with the update - feel free to let us know the version number of the Empire theme you're updating if the issue persists, and we'll get it squared away.
All the best!

The Gifted Panda

Installed on thegiftedpanda.co.uk when the app was free and only used a couple of times, some bits didn't work due to custom coding, however, it largely did work and only had to do minimal work. So I would have given it 4 stars..............until it changed to a subscription service.
Not paying that kind of money for something I will use a couple of times a year. More cost effective for me to do the work manually for half a day.

Hello The Gifted Panda,
Thank you for sharing your review; it's valuable to us to see where our customers are dissatisfied with the app to see how it can be improved.

Great to hear the app was helpful with your past updates; as you have experienced, the app saves time by obtaining the most recent version of the theme, carrying over your past settings, and helping with carrying over past code customizations; it sounds like some customizations were flagged as needing special attention, which the app does if automatically re-applying the customization to the updated code template would cause conflicts.

While the app is free to use for the first year following a theme purchase (from Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union), a subscription is required to continue to use the app as an updating tool following that year. While some merchants, like yourself, only update a couple of times a year, theme updates actually occur regularly throughout the year - to keep running the latest and greatest versions (including new features like Shopify's new Product Media capabilities, or upcoming Cross Border features) other merchants update whenever a new version is available. For merchants updating their theme upwards of 10-15 times per year, using the automated process of the Theme Updater App provides a significant time-saving benefit.

If you find yourself doing manual updates regularly to grab the newest theme features and fixes, the app may be the better cost-effective choice to save you some time!

Thanks again for your input, and best of luck with your online store!
-Out of the Sandbox

Luis E. Romero

I subscribed to the ProPlan of this app on Wednesday 4/1/2020 and, on the same day, I contacted ProPlan support asking a couple of questions via the correct link inside the app interface. Today is Saturday 4/4/2020 and no reply has been received, even though they promise priority support for ProPlan Subscribers. 72 hours is by no means priority support.
Additionally, after I subscribed to the ProPlan, the section on How to Update still says the following:

"If any error messages are received when updating your theme to the latest version, all customizations to the mentioned files will need to be carried forward manually. If you need assistance with carrying over your previous customizations, we'd recommend reaching out to some of our recommended experts."

Here it is paramount to mention that the ONE AND ONLY point of this ProPlan subscription is to GUARANTEE a fully automatic, hassle-free theme update. The second I have to manually carry forward my customizations, I should be refunded for my subscription. I also asked about this on my support request three days ago, but I have received no response.
Please contact me ASAP with full response to my support request, including a clarification about what happens when the app does not work. Do I get refunded for a non-working app?

Hi there Luis,
Andrew here from Out of the Sandbox Support. Thanks for taking the time to provide that feedback!

It looks as though we received an email from you, however it doesn't appear it was sent in via priority support which would explain the time taken before we got back to you. Priority support can only be accessed directly via the app:

Sorry for any confusion there - we'll be sending along a separate email shortly to address any outstanding issues, so if you have any questions, please just reply there!

Take care.

XBODY UK

You have to pay to update a theme you've already paid $180 for! I have purchased several themes from Out of the Sandbox and now I have to pay monthly to update them, too. Greedy! Will not continue to use them or buy from them again.

Hello XBODY UK,
Thank you for highlighting your experience with the Theme Updater App and your Out of the Sandbox themes. I have some details to share with hopes I can clarify a couple aspects of your remarks for you and other merchants interested in our Themes and updating tool:

- On the Shopify platform, updated theme files are free if you have previously purchased a theme. Whether from the Shopify Theme Store or from our site, updated default versions of the theme you purchased are available free of charge upon request (or from revisiting the Theme Store listing for purchases from the Theme Store)

- You do not need to pay to update your theme on Shopify; with the normal process of updating (installing the new version, reconfiguring settings, manually carrying over past code customizations), updating a theme has no direct cost involved - however, this process can be time-consuming, and past customizations may need special attention from a developer

- The Theme Updater App is totally optional to use; the app provides time-savings and convenience by addressing the steps of a manual update automatically (by automatically obtaining the most recent version of the theme, automatically carrying over past theme settings, and detecting past code customizations while assisting with carrying them over to the new version)

- The Theme Updater App's updating feature can be used for free for a year following the purchase of a theme, so you can enjoy the time-saving and convenience benefits while figuring out if you value these benefits to justify an ongoing subscription following the free year

Thanks again for the remarks - we understand there's a need to make this point clearer: the Theme Updater App is NOT required to update your theme - the app is a tool to automate parts of the update to make the updating process faster and easier (which requires a subscription to use after the first year of owning the theme).

I hope this helps, and clears up similar concerns for other customers! Feel free to reach out to our Support team with any other questions this brings up. :)

We wish you all the best with your online store!
-Out of the Sandbox

Kashgar

We purchased Turbo theme which at the time was your most expensive product and were promised free upgrades via the theme updater. Now you've switched the updater to a monthly subscription?

How could you screw over your customers like this?

I see from other comments that you can upgrade manually. This was NOT part of the original deal and was never mentioned at the time of purchase but I guess that is what we are left with. Awesome support for your premium product!

Also some detail on how to upgrade manually would be handy.

To other would-be purchasers - don't buy this product, or anything else from Out Of The Sandbox. What will they switch to subscription-only next?

McGuire Diamonds

just wasted a years subscription. deleted, not cool. ...............................................

Nemanja Nikolic

The app doesn't work if you have minimal customization on your page.
The company and its shady practices are even worse!

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15