Theme Updater

Theme Updater

by Out of the Sandbox

Keep your premium theme up to date

BirdRock Baby

Really obnoxious bait-and-switch money grab. I've bought several themes from this company in the past but won't do business with them in the future, and am on the hunt for a new theme now.

RodeoH

Wow. I'm shocked ... I haven't even used this yet. No idea we were being billed. Surprise, surprise! Why not just do a once a year update and charge a flat fee of $150. That's actually reasonable instead of continually updating ... what a mess.

The Bearded Mack Grooming CO

I recently purchased the Parallax theme and just about have my store set up to open and now I get an email saying to automatically update the theme is now $9 per month. I honestly wish this would have happened sooner so I would have purchased a theme from a different provider.

Inikama

Same as others I will be uninstalling. The frequency in which major updates are released stand in no relation to the pricing. In case you got many customizations you will have to do most manually anyway so there is no sense in paying for it.

Glanzberg - Passion Wein

Last year in July 2018 I rated with 5 stars as you can see at the end of this now updated review. Changing to three stars now.

The numerous negative reviews of the last two days clearly show the displeasure of the users about the upcoming pricing model of OOTS for the Theme Updater App. And I can only agree as I’m angry as well.

While many of the reviewers mentioned technical issues with the Theme Updater App I can only report positive things from my experiences with two shops (both with the Turbo Theme). So far all updates with the free basic version of the app have worked without any problems at all.

But now to pay a monthly fee although there is an update available only each two or three months is nonsense in my view.
Anyway, also here it’s to dare, that it is possible to subscribe the moment if you want to do an update and then cancel the update immediately afterwards. So if you want to update your theme for example only two or three times a year, you can simply subscribe for two to three times a year for 30 days each! Instead of $108 you can end up with $18 or $27 per year. Due to this flexibility, my rating is not quite as negative.

But in one point I agree with most other users: Your support is regularily unsatisfactory. As already mentioned by other reviewers the friendly advice to contact one of your development partners seems unfortunately to be part of your standard procedure.

And even worse, I think that OOTS doesn't have any plan to support Shopify's recent possibility to state base prices. At least that’s the statement I received from the support. And this is beyond doubt not understandable, as base prices in Germany and many other European countries are mandatory by legal terms for numerous product types. It is incomprehensible that OOTS does not update the topics here accordingly and thus deliberately avoids a massive business potential in Europe.

Dear OOTS Team; you have mega cool themes, a fantastic Theme Updater App ... but the list of negative points is getting longer. The unsatisfactory support, the refusal to support this basic functionality of base prices, is now followed by a questionable licensing policy.
Too bad .... With thoughtful greetings from Germany.

---

Just fyi my former 5* rating from July 2018 before I made some negative experiences with the OOTS support and at a time while Updater Theme was fro free.

Super valuable App! Had our store running on Turbo theme v3.0.3 and performed upgrade to latest v.3.1.0 half an hour ago. Whole process of applying a new version incl. adoption of our tweaks and customization changes took approx 3-4 minutes. Afterwards, a manual adoption of language files was required as outlined in the app description. So, uploaded my used v.3.0.3 language files to TextWrangler editor and compared these two files to the v3.1.0 default files. Review of differences took another 5 minutes including applying required additions to new v3.1.0 language files. Overall, whole upgrade process done in less then 10 minutes. Couldn't be easier! Great app, OOTS-team.
Greetings from Germany.

Sarah's Treats & Treasures

Seems I am not the only one, maybe this company should take a hint!!

Not that great, first I did pay lots of money for a simplistic theme, then they want to charge for an update that is automatic, but of course does not include our customized portions of the theme? Seriously, then they sent an e-mail today letting me know that they will be increasing their Free plan... to $9 a month??! Holy crap that's astronomical for what the app is, so byeee. I will just make my own updater app the only appeal was the free part, then I just copy and paste the custom sections, being that the theme is updated so often I feel the theme is super buggy as well and have had to fix a lot of issues with it in the past. Also a word of advice is update the thing like once every 2 months or more, having to update a theme on a larger site like every 2 weeks to a month is ridiculous.

Dynamic Rescue Systems

A good idea when it came out, though it was only partially helpful for complex customizations that had been added to the default themes.

Unfortunately, now that even the basic version is to be a monthly subscription, we'll be deleting and finding other options.

Halo Bottle Ltd

Literally nothing happens, it does not function when I try to open the app. Deleted and reinstalled with the same result. Disappointing.
UPDATE: I believe this was my cookie settings as I tried on another browser and it updated ok. Review changed from 1 to 4 stars.

THE HOSIERY BOX

Very poor service and underhand fees - simply read the reviews. The app doesn't work very well, and now a greedy developer wants to charge over $100 a year (forever) for an app to update a couple of lines of code. Their themes are full of bugs, support is very slow (at times even leaving bugs in the code - I'm looking at you 'Artisan'), and now they are trying to sneakily charge for something that was advertised as part of their theme purchase. I doubt this is acceptable practice, or legal, in most countries.

We have already had to change two Out of the Sandbox themes due to bugs in their software, and now they do this. If I were them, I would be very embarrassed as to how they treat long standing customers.

The most insulting thing is the email we were sent, spinning this charge as an 'opportunity'. Please don't patronize us with PR, you are simply milking merchants for all you can get before moving on.

P.S. Following the developers response: You seem to miss the point - everyone who purchases an Out of the Sandbox theme agreed to do so with the knowledge that the updating app comes along with it (and we have also paid an initial premium for the theme and updater app). You are significantly changing the agreement by now charging for the app, and I would say that is unlikely to be legal here in the EU. Also, you mentioned in one response that you need the money to fund your IT systems - well, if you can't afford to provide a service, don't offer it for free with the intention of locking customers into a 'blackmail scheme'. Have the dignity to admit you simply want more money by charging customers twice.

September 19, 2019

Hello The Hosiery Box,
We appreciate your honest feedback - it is true the Theme Updater App will soon have a number of flexible subscription options available, required to use the tool to automatically configure your updated theme, and access advanced perks (like our new Priority Support feature in the Pro Plan).

However, updated theme files and support will continue to be FREE, as we continue to improve our themes with new features and bug fixes; with these updated theme files, the normal process of updating a Shopify theme can be followed, which does not require use of the app.

We have been working hard on improving and maintaining the Theme Updater App, adding new features and support for more themes, and want to keep offering you the time-saving convenience of updating without needing to reconfigure your settings. We understand your grievance with the change in pricing, and hope the subscriptions options we're offering line up with how you value the app, so we can continue to offer you the fastest updating experience possible.

Sincerely,
- The Out of the Sandbox Team

MissieMay

We run three stores using the Turbo Theme from Out of the Sandbox - and are just about to launch our fourth. The theme was chosen to a large extent because of this app to update our themes. Now, the developer wants to charge an extra $108 per store, per year - meaning they expect us to pay $432 per year just to update a few lines of code once a year.

This is a perfect example of how to trap your clients and then blackmail them. Obviously, we are changing themes now for store number four, and then slowly changing the other themes over the coming twelve months.

The irony is that BECAUSE they now charge for this app, there is no benefit to staying with Out of the Sandbox for any of their themes. Considering the high costs of their themes, this is slightly mercenary move by Out of the Sandbox, and would appear contrary to their stated aims of helping store owners.

If this is how a business is managed, and based on 20 years of ecommerce, I would recommend not using the themes or apps of Out of the Sandbox.

September 19, 2019

Hello MissieMay,
Thanks for sending this along, we appreciate your input on the upcoming changes - we're happy to hear you've used Turbo for multiple stores, but regret to hear the upcoming changes have come across this way.

Rest assured, updated theme files will continue to be FREE, so you can continue to take advantage of improvements we're making to the theme for all your shops.

We understand that updating a Shopify theme by uploading the updated version and reconfiguring the settings can be time consuming, so we have worked to develop and maintain this tool to make this process easier and faster. While using the Theme Updater App is the preferred method to update a theme for many of our merchants, we do not intend to trap you into using the app if you do not value it. You will not be signed up for a subscription automatically without opting-in.

We sincerely hope you continue to use the Turbo theme for your three shops, and consider it for the fourth. Turbo's performance features and robust set of theme settings/features are not found in many other themes, and while we know the change in price isn't well-received, the Theme Updater App provides a unique method to speed up the updating process, which is otherwise conducted manually for any other Shopify theme (other than Out of the Sandbox and Pixel Union themes). We want to continue to offer you this value, along with exclusive perks we've added to the app, and we hope you'll consider one of our flexible subscription options.

Best regards,