Theme Updater

Theme Updater

by Out of the Sandbox

Keep your premium theme up to date

The Gifted Panda

Installed on thegiftedpanda.co.uk when the app was free and only used a couple of times, some bits didn't work due to custom coding, however, it largely did work and only had to do minimal work. So I would have given it 4 stars..............until it changed to a subscription service.
Not paying that kind of money for something I will use a couple of times a year. More cost effective for me to do the work manually for half a day.

Hello The Gifted Panda,
Thank you for sharing your review; it's valuable to us to see where our customers are dissatisfied with the app to see how it can be improved.

Great to hear the app was helpful with your past updates; as you have experienced, the app saves time by obtaining the most recent version of the theme, carrying over your past settings, and helping with carrying over past code customizations; it sounds like some customizations were flagged as needing special attention, which the app does if automatically re-applying the customization to the updated code template would cause conflicts.

While the app is free to use for the first year following a theme purchase (from Out of the Sandbox or Pixel Union), a subscription is required to continue to use the app as an updating tool following that year. While some merchants, like yourself, only update a couple of times a year, theme updates actually occur regularly throughout the year - to keep running the latest and greatest versions (including new features like Shopify's new Product Media capabilities, or upcoming Cross Border features) other merchants update whenever a new version is available. For merchants updating their theme upwards of 10-15 times per year, using the automated process of the Theme Updater App provides a significant time-saving benefit.

If you find yourself doing manual updates regularly to grab the newest theme features and fixes, the app may be the better cost-effective choice to save you some time!

Thanks again for your input, and best of luck with your online store!
-Out of the Sandbox

Luis E. Romero

I subscribed to the ProPlan of this app on Wednesday 4/1/2020 and, on the same day, I contacted ProPlan support asking a couple of questions via the correct link inside the app interface. Today is Saturday 4/4/2020 and no reply has been received, even though they promise priority support for ProPlan Subscribers. 72 hours is by no means priority support.
Additionally, after I subscribed to the ProPlan, the section on How to Update still says the following:

"If any error messages are received when updating your theme to the latest version, all customizations to the mentioned files will need to be carried forward manually. If you need assistance with carrying over your previous customizations, we'd recommend reaching out to some of our recommended experts."

Here it is paramount to mention that the ONE AND ONLY point of this ProPlan subscription is to GUARANTEE a fully automatic, hassle-free theme update. The second I have to manually carry forward my customizations, I should be refunded for my subscription. I also asked about this on my support request three days ago, but I have received no response.
Please contact me ASAP with full response to my support request, including a clarification about what happens when the app does not work. Do I get refunded for a non-working app?

Hi there Luis,
Andrew here from Out of the Sandbox Support. Thanks for taking the time to provide that feedback!

It looks as though we received an email from you, however it doesn't appear it was sent in via priority support which would explain the time taken before we got back to you. Priority support can only be accessed directly via the app:

Sorry for any confusion there - we'll be sending along a separate email shortly to address any outstanding issues, so if you have any questions, please just reply there!

Take care.

XBODY UK

You have to pay to update a theme you've already paid $180 for! I have purchased several themes from Out of the Sandbox and now I have to pay monthly to update them, too. Greedy! Will not continue to use them or buy from them again.

Hello XBODY UK,
Thank you for highlighting your experience with the Theme Updater App and your Out of the Sandbox themes. I have some details to share with hopes I can clarify a couple aspects of your remarks for you and other merchants interested in our Themes and updating tool:

- On the Shopify platform, updated theme files are free if you have previously purchased a theme. Whether from the Shopify Theme Store or from our site, updated default versions of the theme you purchased are available free of charge upon request (or from revisiting the Theme Store listing for purchases from the Theme Store)

- You do not need to pay to update your theme on Shopify; with the normal process of updating (installing the new version, reconfiguring settings, manually carrying over past code customizations), updating a theme has no direct cost involved - however, this process can be time-consuming, and past customizations may need special attention from a developer

- The Theme Updater App is totally optional to use; the app provides time-savings and convenience by addressing the steps of a manual update automatically (by automatically obtaining the most recent version of the theme, automatically carrying over past theme settings, and detecting past code customizations while assisting with carrying them over to the new version)

- The Theme Updater App's updating feature can be used for free for a year following the purchase of a theme, so you can enjoy the time-saving and convenience benefits while figuring out if you value these benefits to justify an ongoing subscription following the free year

Thanks again for the remarks - we understand there's a need to make this point clearer: the Theme Updater App is NOT required to update your theme - the app is a tool to automate parts of the update to make the updating process faster and easier (which requires a subscription to use after the first year of owning the theme).

I hope this helps, and clears up similar concerns for other customers! Feel free to reach out to our Support team with any other questions this brings up. :)

We wish you all the best with your online store!
-Out of the Sandbox

Kashgar

We purchased Turbo theme which at the time was your most expensive product and were promised free upgrades via the theme updater. Now you've switched the updater to a monthly subscription?

How could you screw over your customers like this?

I see from other comments that you can upgrade manually. This was NOT part of the original deal and was never mentioned at the time of purchase but I guess that is what we are left with. Awesome support for your premium product!

Also some detail on how to upgrade manually would be handy.

To other would-be purchasers - don't buy this product, or anything else from Out Of The Sandbox. What will they switch to subscription-only next?

McGuire Diamonds

just wasted a years subscription. deleted, not cool. ...............................................

Nemanja Nikolic

The app doesn't work if you have minimal customization on your page.
The company and its shady practices are even worse!

Security Bollards Direct

Great theme, but the appalling customer service and delays in waiting for a reply to any problems make you wonder whether it is worth the extra money for priority support when in fact this is not the case. We are treated the same as everyone else, so why over promise and under deliver?
I had a fair response today, so will hold my hands up and move on. I get it and appreciate your response. Next time I will make sure I go down the right route when I try to contact your team, thanks for the explanation Sandbox, is much appreciated.

March 4, 2020

Hello Security Bollards Direct Team,

We’re sorry for the frustration here.

We do our best to respond to support requests within 24-48 hours (business days) however, it’s possible that there might be some delays caused by increased traffic.

I have reviewed your most recent correspondence with our support team. We’re sorry for the delay you experienced but it should be noted that the requests you sent to us were not sent through the Priority Support channel.

The Pro Plan subscription for the Theme Updater app grants you access to the Priority Support channel. To access this channel, you can open the Theme Updater app and select Actions > Contact Priority Theme Support.

If the support request is not sent through the app with the Contact Priority Theme Support button, your request will be sent to the general support queue, instead of the priority channel.

We have more information about accessing Priority Support for you here: https://help.outofthesandbox.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026083613-What-is-Priority-Theme-Support-

I hope this clears things up, please do not hesitate to reach out to us in the Priority Channel if you have any additional questions about the theme or the Pro Plan.

All the best,
The Out of the Sandbox Team

Haya Creations

Theme is good but there could be some basic enhancements for the price charged. First one is the mobile slider. There is no provision to upload mobile version of slider. Second, mobile filters are unorganised, they should be consolidated to show all tags such as Color, fabric etc.. under one filter and then sub-filters.

March 5, 2020

Hi there,

Andrew here from the Out of the Sandbox Support Merchant Advocate team. Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback!

We can certainly take that into consideration and I'll pass that along to our development team to look into. I've sent along an email just to continue this conversation so that we can get a better idea of the goal with regards to the mobile slider and filters.

Just keep an eye out for my email!

All the best.

Clairevoire

From a business owner to another, this is a risky move that you are making with your brand. Sure you get the money now, but is this really worth it in the long run, destroying your relationship with your existing customers.

The app was a great tool, which I'd gladly pay a little fee to update, but not as a subsciption.

ACU Precision Sheet Metal

This is our first theme from out of the sandbox (Turbo). I did not think this app would work based off of others; however, it updated my theme with only 4 lines of code needing to be manually converted over. Hopefully there will be more options for pricing in the future. www.acumetalfab.com

January 8, 2020

Hello ACU Precision Sheet Metal team,

Thank you for taking the time to leave that great review and we’re glad to hear the app worked well for you! We’re always looking to improve our support while also keeping the Updater App competitive in pricing and feature offerings. Hopefully the app continues to help you, and if you’re currently using the Pro plan, you can also take advantage of our Priority Support feature should anything come up!

If there’s anything else we can help with, please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we’d be happy to help!

Sincerely,

The Out of the Sandbox team.